Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Our frequent flier, Marcus lives in Albany Western Australia.  I wondered; where is Albany? Google showed me that it is in Western Australia in the south. Albany appears to be a city of substantial size. Used to be a whaling port according to descriptions.

While scanning the map, I noticed that there are numerous nearby locations with similar name endings. Manijinup, Balbarup,Palgarup, Dingup, and more.  What does the ending; up, imply?

MarcusA

Quote from: Icarus on July 02, 2023, 08:18:10 PMOur frequent flier, Marcus lives in Albany Western Australia.  I wondered; where is Albany? Google showed me that it is in Western Australia in the south. Albany appears to be a city of substantial size. Used to be a whaling port according to descriptions.

While scanning the map, I noticed that there are numerous nearby locations with similar name endings. Manijinup, Balbarup,Palgarup, Dingup, and more.  What does the ending; up, imply?

-up, 'place of' is a suffix in Noongar.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

MarcusA

Albany designates itself a city, but it is really just an old rundown country town.

MarcusA

Another fine day in paradise, it looks like rain is on the way.

MarcusA

MarcusA

Albany has whales now, live ones.

flip, flop, flap. whales frolic
in the cruel seas.

The Magic Pudding..

Sorry Icarus, Dark Lightning, I am on a mission from god to remove MarcusA as the last responder to as many threads as I can before I die.  I do realise the irony of another annoying Australian interposing in such a way, I'll endeavour to limit myself to a few a day, it could take some time.

There hasn't been an actual pic posted here for a while.

If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Good work Puddin' He is gone now and I can now read each entry with genuine interest. (exhaling...Aaaaah)

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on August 25, 2023, 04:44:36 AMGood work Puddin' He is gone now and I can now read each entry with genuine interest. (exhaling...Aaaaah)

I second that.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning