Main Menu

Refuting Theistic Arguments

Started by Ricardo, October 04, 2019, 07:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricardo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 07, 2019, 11:18:42 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on October 07, 2019, 09:00:35 PM
Quote from: Ricardo on October 05, 2019, 12:29:08 AM

I'm from Brazil ! I have never participated in an atheism forum! I hope to learn more about atheism! Can this forum also learn about skepticism?
Ricardo...Ricardito...Are you a religious person?
I ask because when you start a sentence with: "a theistic friend told me he has two arguments against atheism..."--It's like when I ask: "Is marijuana bad for you? I have "a friend" who wants to know. ... :shifty:
So, are you a religious person? You sound like one.

I was thinking the same thing. But I'll wait for Ricardo to own up to being a religious person or stop looking so much like an "undercover theist".  :thoughtful:

Ricardo, Magdalena and I are skeptical you are an atheist. There's nothing wrong with being a theist -- we have theists who are regular members of this forum -- what isn't cool is pretending to be an atheist when in fact you are a believer. Are you really an atheist?
I am an atheist agnostic, I think you have the impression that I am a theist because I have no prejudice against theists even though many theists have prejudice against me for being an atheist agnostic! and do you suffer prejudice from theists? what's your reaction? :hug:

Ricardo

Quote from: Icarus on October 07, 2019, 11:40:39 PM
Back a few posts Ricardo implies that theism has not caused any serious harm to humans .  I disagree, especially when considering the behavior of some of the more committed Islamists.  Lopping the heads off disbelievers is kind of harmful. Genital mutilation, and flogging women for daring to expose their hair is also not cool.   Never mind the Inquisition when bodies were stretched on the rack or strung up on a gibbet.  Our very own early settlers were ultra religious but did drown some witches and roasted a few of them too.
truth ! Religious fanaticism is a shame. :thumbsup:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ricardo on October 08, 2019, 12:03:03 AM

I'm from Brazil ! I have never participated in an atheism forum! I hope to learn more about atheism! Can this forum also learn about skepticism?
I ask because when you start a sentence with: "a theistic friend told me he has two arguments against atheism..."--It's like when I ask: "Is marijuana bad for you? I have "a friend" who wants to know. ... :shifty:

I was thinking the same thing. But I'll wait for Ricardo to own up to being a religious person or stop looking so much like an "undercover theist".  :thoughtful:

Ricardo, Magdalena and I are skeptical you are an atheist. There's nothing wrong with being a theist -- we have theists who are regular members of this forum -- what isn't cool is pretending to be an atheist when in fact you are a believer. Are you really an atheist?
I am an atheist agnostic, I think you have the impression that I am a theist because I have no prejudice against theists even though many theists have prejudice against me for being an atheist agnostic! and do you suffer prejudice from theists? what's your reaction? :hug:

Ok, fair enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'm still pretty much a closet atheist, only close friends and family know I think the way I do. I have theistic family members, some very religious and others less so, and theistic friends as well. Religion is just not something we really talk about.

As for the preconceived notions some people have about me because of my lack of belief in any gods, I just ignore them. At first, it would make me very angry but now it's just not worth my time and energy.  ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: Ricardo on October 07, 2019, 11:49:46 PM

I'm an atheist agnostic! I have so many theistic friends!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ricardo

Quote from: Magdalena on October 08, 2019, 12:22:40 AM

why don't you believe me? be honest !

Magdalena

Quote from: Ricardo on October 08, 2019, 01:08:26 AM

You are full of Christ.
It just shows.

Tell me, was my statement a compliment, or an insult?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bluenose

Over the years I have run into a great many theists claiming to be atheists.  The questions they ask generally give them away.  The questions Ricardo asks are of a similar ilk.  I remain to be convinced, Ricardo, you are being entirely frank with us.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Red_Cloud

Quote from: Magdalena on October 08, 2019, 05:43:39 AM

You are full of Christ.
It just shows.

Well! . . . He is certainly full of something Magdalena! :rofl:

Ricardo

You are full of Christ.
It just shows.

I am a moralistic atheist! Baby !! :hug:

Ricardo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2019, 12:14:57 AM

I'm still pretty much a closet atheist, only close friends and family know I think the way I do. I have theistic family members, some very religious and others less so, and theistic friends as well. Religion is just not something we really talk about.

As for the preconceived notions some people have about me because of my lack of belief in any gods, I just ignore them. At first, it would make me very angry but now it's just not worth my time and energy.  ;)
you have to assume you're an atheist woman! Who really loves you will keep loving you.

Ricardo

Quote from: Ricardo on October 08, 2019, 04:54:51 PM

You are full of Christ.
It just shows.

Did Bob Marley believe in God?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ricardo on October 08, 2019, 05:09:24 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2019, 12:14:57 AM

you have to assume you're an atheist woman! Who really loves you will keep loving you.

I already have to those who need to know, Those who don't need to know...don't need to know. Like my maternal grandparents. I'm not going to tell them I'm an atheist when practically all they talk about are sickness and death. My fearful grandfather would hate me. My grandmother, who is more open to differing opinions, would worry I'm on my way to hell (which they believe to be a real destination for everyone who isn't a Seventh Day Adventist).

I have lost "friends" because I'm an atheist. But that's ok, my life isn't any poorer because of it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ricardo on October 08, 2019, 05:12:31 PM
Please don't, "baby" me.
Thank you.

Quote from: Ricardo on October 08, 2019, 05:12:31 PM
Did Bob Marley believe in God?
I don't know, ask him in the afterlife. And what the hell does he have to do with anything? And if you are an atheist why do you talk about god and only god, sooooo much!?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 08, 2019, 08:53:27 AM
Well! . . . He is certainly full of something Magdalena! :rofl:

Please refrain from posting such statements, Red Cloud. We try to keep the atmosphere in this forum civil, and I ask that you do not make our job difficult.

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2019, 06:42:51 PM
I have lost "friends" because I'm an atheist. But that's ok, my life isn't any poorer because of it.
Me too. I haven't lost them because I am an atheist, I've lost them because I've kicked them to the curb. One can only hear the word, "god" a certain amount of times during the day. ::)