News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Icarus

That is not an unusual presumption by non gun nuts  Essie Mae.  The reality is that certain handguns categorized as automatics can hold magazines of 12, 15, 20 rounds of ammunition.   Magazine is a box like bullet container that usually plugs into the bottom of the pistol handle.   A revolver is what you were thinking of.  Some of the cylinders of revolvers hold as many as nine rounds.  Like the 22 caliber revolver handgun that I have had for many years.....and neer fired as much as a single shot.

Friend wife is a member of a police auxiliary group. On a visit to the local police shooting range  she used the 22 to post a very tight grouping of about  8 inches on a 25 yard target.  I think that I had better be nice to her.

The weapon of choice for maniacs is still something similar to the AR-15 rifle. A lunatic can get off near a hundred rounds a minute when properly practiced and prepared.

Let us hope that the vast majority of  deranged shooters are impecunious.   I recently visited a large gun shop, in my medium sized city, where I observed that ammunition for an AR 15 or similar firearm is priced at $599 per thousand rounds..........

Disclaimer:  I am not a gun guy. That was merely a lark visit to see what is happening in that particular gun enthusiast demographic.  The place was a very well appointed, even sophisticated in its own way that was, for me, almost scary.  Their inventory must surely have exceeded a million dollars. and more.  There must be a large market out there.  The market size is the scary part.

As an engineer and also a master machinist, I could appreciate the exceptional quality of some of the lethal hardware that I saw..................But why do we need or want  such sophisticated and beautifully crafted  instruments of death????????

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on November 08, 2018, 11:08:46 AM
Thousand Oaks: 'Multiple fatalities' at California bar shooting

So sad for the victims and the shooter. Hopefully, along with revised gun laws people start to focus more on mental health issues and helping those afflicted. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tom62

I assume that, after this mass shooting, nothing is going to happen either?
Just the usual "Thoughts and Prayers".
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tom62 on November 09, 2018, 06:39:28 PM
I assume that, after this mass shooting, nothing is going to happen either?
Just the usual "Thoughts and Prayers".

Of course not.  NRA lobby still too powerful, and gun nuts who (unlike progressive types) never miss a vote, still favor unlimited access to guns over human life.  The only thing that's at all changed is that I've heard no requests for "thoughts and prayers" this time around -- I think that flaccid platitude may have finally been mocked out of existence and good riddance.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

Quote from: Sandra Craft on November 09, 2018, 08:06:23 PM. . . I think that flaccid platitude may have finally been mocked out of existence and good riddance.

Not so fast. From the US's newest NRA-sponsored US senator:

"Marsha Blackburn's Gut Reaction to Thousand Oaks Shooting: 'Protect the 2nd Amendment'" | Daily Beast

QuoteSenator-elect Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) made her priorities abundantly clear on Thursday morning when a Fox News anchor asked her for a reaction to the deadly mass shooting at bar in Thousand Oaks, California.

Asked by anchor Sandra Smith what America as a country can do to stop incidents like this one, the first thing Blackburn said was: "What we do is say, how do we make certain that we protect the Second Amendment and protect our citizens."

The Tennessee Republican went on to say that "mental-health issues need to be addressed" before bringing up the issue of gun access specifically.

The gunman, a former Marine, killed 11 people plus a sheriff's deputy at the 18-and-older country music bar night before reportedly turning his gun on himself.

"No one wants an individual who is a danger to themselves or others to have a firearm," Blackburn added. "And what you do want is to make sure they are receiving the help—I mean, this is just absolutely heartbreaking." From there, Blackburn offered her "thoughts and prayers" to the parents and victims.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

A few days ago there was a school shooting in Suzano, Brazil, which left 8 dead, among them students and school staff. It's not a big number compared to shootings that happen in the US, but the news shocked the nation because this kind of thing practically never happens here.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/13/americas/brazil-school-shooting/index.html

Fast forward to today and there are rumors circulating on campus that an incel's threats to shoot up the school were intercepted online. The Dean's office issued an alert and confirmed that they were not just rumors...there had in fact been threats to kill students, especially "women from the exact science courses". 

Here's a screenshot of the guy's posts in a hate forum:

It says:

"Heh, it's already been done in a kindergarten, nursery, high school. I want to be the first to do a massacre at a university. Those who live will see, and those who die are scum."

There are other printscreens of his posts in the forum where he rambles on about hating women and promises to do something by the end of the month.

Other forum incels suggest he shoot up the university I go to, because though there are armed guards on all the campi they won't do anything to stop him.

:picard facepalm:

Such a sick mind...

Icarus

The nutcase dude would not be the first to shoot up a university.  We had such an occasion at Ohio State university a few years back. I do hope that it is legal in Brazil to imprison kooks like that, just in case he is serious. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on March 22, 2019, 12:04:31 AM
The nutcase dude would not be the first to shoot up a university.  We had such an occasion at Ohio State university a few years back. I do hope that it is legal in Brazil to imprison kooks like that, just in case he is serious.

Nobody has shot up a university in Brazil before, and it seems that creep is looking to be (in)famous. He rambles on about making the local headlines in other screenshots.

I don't know what measures are being taken. He'll most likely get expelled but then what? That would fuel the hate he obviously harbors and if he wasn't actually being serious before, he might be later. Time will tell I guess.

Last Friday the campus seemed empty as if a significant portion of students decided not to show up. The door to the department where the lab I work in is located was locked. I saw a few police cars patrolling the campus, something I've never seen in the last 6 years I was there. This whole thing might morph into hysteria.   

jumbojak

We had another big one today. This was in Virginia Beach, not too far away from where I am living. There aren't many details yet. I think the count is at sixteen dead so far.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Anne D.

Aaaand it's USA for the sad win again. When will we ever learn.

Tank

El Paso shooting: 'Multiple fatalities' in Texas mall attack

22 in hospital. Fatalities unknown at this time. They have the shooter. No idea of motivation.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on August 03, 2019, 09:29:25 PM
El Paso shooting: 'Multiple fatalities' in Texas mall attack

22 in hospital. Fatalities unknown at this time. They have the shooter. No idea of motivation.

If this is the one I think it is, he was an ardent Trump supporter who posted on FB about despising "racial mixing".  And the one at the Gilroy Garlic Festival was a Trump supporter who spent time on alt-right websites and despised Hispanics and "chads".

Yet it's Antifa and the far-left the Senate is considering a bill to declare and prosecute as terrorists.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany