News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Divine Pot-Head

Started by Recusant, June 13, 2020, 05:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Quote from: Magdalena on June 14, 2020, 01:01:31 AM
Quote from: Randy on June 13, 2020, 05:17:35 PM
:snicker1:

I've never smoked marijuana before. But when I was a child and sickly I often had some medicine with codeine. I don't know if it was that or the high fevers I ran or maybe even a combination but I had some scary hallucinations. I can't say that I've ever seen a deity though.

Has anyone talked to you about medical cannabis? I don't know anything about it, do you?  :eyebrow:
A friend mentioned it but no one else. It might alleviate some symptoms later on down the road from what I've read about it. Also, the body gets used to it I think. I may be misremembering that part.

My palliative care team might recommend it sometime in the future when I'm on pain management. I don't know if I'll be experiencing nausea when I'm off of chemo altogether. From what I've read it seems to be a last resort. Also, I don't know if it is legal in Georgia.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on June 14, 2020, 03:05:49 PM
A friend mentioned it but no one else. It might alleviate some symptoms later on down the road from what I've read about it. Also, the body gets used to it I think. I may be misremembering that part.

:notsure: I'm not sure...I don't think cannabis by itself causes neuroadaptation and therefore tolerance, but don't take my word for it. I've seen conflicting statements.

WARNING! Nerd mode ON!

In our brains we have receptors to which endocannabionoids (and cannabis) bind. Endocannabinoids are fatty molecules which are important in regulatory mechanisms. Neurotransmitters go in one direction, endocannabinoids go in the opposite direction as if to tell the neuron releasing neurotransmitters  nah uh :fingerwag: and so act as "brakes" to neuronal activity. What is neuroadaptation? Neuroadaptation is when the density of these receptors is changed due to the amount of stuff (such as some psychoactive drugs) is present in high amounts, altering neuronal activity and requiring more and more of the drug to get the same result.     

QuoteMy palliative care team might recommend it sometime in the future when I'm on pain management. I don't know if I'll be experiencing nausea when I'm off of chemo altogether. From what I've read it seems to be a last resort. Also, I don't know if it is legal in Georgia.

Might be worth checking out.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 14, 2020, 09:34:45 PM

:notsure: I'm not sure...I don't think cannabis by itself causes neuroadaptation and therefore tolerance, but don't take my word for it. I've seen conflicting statements.

WARNING! Nerd mode ON!

In our brains we have receptors to which endocannabionoids (and cannabis) bind. Endocannabinoids are fatty molecules which are important in regulatory mechanisms. Neurotransmitters go in one direction, endocannabinoids go in the opposite direction as if to tell the neuron releasing neurotransmitters  nah uh :fingerwag: and so act as "brakes" to neuronal activity. What is neuroadaptation? Neuroadaptation is when the density of these receptors is changed due to the amount of stuff (such as some psychoactive drugs) is present in high amounts, altering neuronal activity and requiring more and more of the drug to get the same result.     

QuoteMy palliative care team might recommend it sometime in the future when I'm on pain management. I don't know if I'll be experiencing nausea when I'm off of chemo altogether. From what I've read it seems to be a last resort. Also, I don't know if it is legal in Georgia.

It may be a while hopefully. I'm not in any pain and I don't take painkillers. A side note; I cracked three ribs back in December and never noticed. The parts that were healing showed up on an x-ray when they were looking for pneumonia. So for all I know I should be in pain.

I hope to avoid anything that makes me sleepy as I already sleep too much. When the time comes I'll talk to my doctor and nurse practitioner about it. Hopefully that will be a little ways off.

I watched my father die of cancer and he was in pain despite the painkillers. I think he was on morphine but I'm not sure about anything else. Anyway, I don't want to end up like that. Cannabis wasn't an option back then.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Vivacious

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on June 15, 2020, 12:20:26 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 14, 2020, 09:34:45 PM

WARNING! Nerd mode ON!

It may be a while hopefully. I'm not in any pain and I don't take painkillers. A side note; I cracked three ribs back in December and never noticed. The parts that were healing showed up on an x-ray when they were looking for pneumonia. So for all I know I should be in pain.

I hope to avoid anything that makes me sleepy as I already sleep too much. When the time comes I'll talk to my doctor and nurse practitioner about it. Hopefully, that will be a little ways off.

I watched my father die of cancer and he was in pain despite the painkillers. I think he was on morphine but I'm not sure about anything else. Anyway, I don't want to end up like that. Cannabis wasn't an option back then.

You said that it may be a while before you need it, let's keep it that way, yes?  :smilenod:
Hopefully, or miraculously, you won't need it at all. If you do, I really hope it's available for you.

I don't use it for pain, but if my stomach is upset, and I use it, I feel better. It improves my appetite, relaxes me, etc. I guess that's what they call, 
:airquotes: recreational :airquotes: use.
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Vivacious on June 15, 2020, 12:23:05 AM
😂👍🏼
Oh...Hello, Vivacious.
I don't think we've met.  :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

I never saw God on pot, from the first time I smoked it over 50 years ago.  If I had seen God on pot, I probably would have 1) gotten very paranoid, and 2) eaten Him.  Paranoia and munchies are occupational hazards of the practice. My most memorable experiences with God were during the LSD years. 

billy rubin

i d3test marijuana. it simply doesnt work with my brain. i get 100 percent inarticulate, paranoid, and asocial. just the way im wired.

but vegetable alkaloids work with me very well, so i stay away from them these dayz.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Old Seer

I'm thinking the alter site would be more-so a Cananite doing. Altho 700 BC Hebrews were in that area. But they had highly structured religious beliefs that didn't allow deviation. But, I don't know for sure if Hebrew religion incorporated drugs of any type in to their religion. There's no allowance for it in the laws of Moses.   If there was an allowance for it at any time, it would have remained to this time. It's not likely they would allow dung to be any part of their religion as I understand it. Dung would be a contaminant. :)
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

That all might be relevant, if it could be shown that the Bible is an unerringly accurate historical document.

Archaeological evidence on one hand, religious writings of vague date and provenance on the other. I know which I'd consider more reliable evidence of what was going on.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Randy

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 15, 2020, 07:53:23 PM
Paranoia and munchies are occupational hazards of the practice.
Oh boy, I hope I never have to experience either of those on the medical stuff, assuming I ever get on it.

Old Seer

Quote from: Recusant on June 15, 2020, 09:02:49 PM
That all might be relevant, if it could be shown that the Bible is an unerringly accurate historical document.

Archaeological evidence on one hand, religious writings of vague date and provenance on the other. I know which I'd consider more reliable evidence of what was going on.
I wasn't going by the bible, I looked up a bit of history in general. The finding (I'm sure there's others) are that the Hebrews entered Cannanite lands about 1200 BC. It seemed odd to me that a Hebrew with strict dietary law would be using drugs, and also Hebrew law would have prohibited (even today maybe) the building of structures contrary to their religion. The structure shown would be a monument to a false religion to them. I don't think they allowed any outland shrines. As much as I can tell the only religious structures allowed were the temple at Jerusalem and the tent they kept with them in the desert. I'm thinking it's more likely the shrine may have been built by another religion as foreigners were allowed to live in in the territory.   :)
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

Quote from: Old Seer on June 16, 2020, 12:29:14 AM
Quote from: Recusant on June 15, 2020, 09:02:49 PM

I wasn't going by the bible, I looked up a bit of history in general. The finding (I'm sure there's others) are that the Hebrews entered Cannanite lands about 1200 BC. It seemed odd to me that a Hebrew with strict dietary law would be using drugs, and also Hebrew law would have prohibited (even today maybe) the building of structures contrary to their religion. The structure shown would be a monument to a false religion to them. I don't think they allowed any outland shrines. As much as I can tell the only religious structures allowed were the temple at Jerusalem and the tent they kept with them in the desert. I'm thinking it's more likely the shrine may have been built by another religion as foreigners were allowed to live in in the territory.   :)

What gives you the idea that there was anything "outlaw" about this temple, and the two altars? What specifically would be "a monument to a false religion"? That doesn't make any sense to me. The archaeologists have said that it was a temple dedicated to the Hebrew god YHVH. No indication that there was any other god being paid honour there.

Do you have a source that tells us otherwise?

Perhaps you could point me to the section in the dietary laws in which cannabis is prohibited.

Frankincense is a well known offering, and was used in temples all across Eurasia. It was a valuable trade commodity. I don't know if you've ever burned incense like frankincense, but it doesn't actually burn on its own if it's being done properly. Ideally you use a clean smouldering base substance. Charcoal or dried dung will do nicely.

Cannabis also has been valued and used for millennia.

I think you've completely mistaken what this evidence indicates. As I mentioned previously, a 21st century American may think that there's something "unclean" about burning dung. It isn't necessarily the case that a Bronze age herder thinks the same thing. In fact we know that dung has been used by people for this purpose for millennia.

What we see here, leaving aside the gratuitous cultural colouring, is two altars. On one, the people offered up frankincense, on the other they offered up cannabis.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on June 16, 2020, 01:19:45 AM
I think you've completely mistaken what this evidence indicates. As I mentioned previously, you, a 21st century American, may think that there's something "unclean" about burning dung. It isn't necessarily the case that a Bronze age herder thinks the same thing. In fact we know that dung has been used by people for this purpose for millennia.

Didn't some medieval folks make the walls of their homes with animal dung? I think some peoples living in "primitive societies" still do that today...

Apparently that makes some fine cement.