News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Betelgeuse is about to blow (well, in 100K years...)

Started by Bluenose, February 12, 2021, 04:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

It seems our estimates of the size and distance from Earth to Betelgeuse were incorrect.  It is smaller and closer then we first thought.

Interestingly, at least to this science nerd, the star is in the early phase of core helium burning that happens after it has exhausted all or most of the hydrogen.  Cool!

Oh, and just in case you were worrying, it is considered to be too far away at 350 light years to have any significant effects on Earth when it finally does go supernova.  Might make for a spectacular light show, though!

https://phys.org/news/2021-02-supergiant-star-betelgeuse-unveils-pulsations.html
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

That's really cool. I wish it would happen in my lifetime as I'd love to see something like this in the night sky.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Ecurb Noselrub

That can be your mantra: 

I won't go 'till Beetle-Juice blows!

Randy

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 12, 2021, 09:38:57 PM
That can be your mantra: 

I won't go 'till Beetle-Juice blows!
I like that. I'll quote you on it. Wait a minute, I just did.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg