Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 06, 2017, 10:08:41 PM
The phrase would be something like:

...These may show suspect changes in the bladder, which are confirmed by cystoscopic examinations...

But suspect doesn't feel entirely right in this context. :notsure:
The words they used with my MRI results were: "The findings are suspicious for..."
...These may show suspicious changes in the bladder, which are confirmed by cystoscopic examinations...

:shrug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on November 06, 2017, 11:14:15 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 06, 2017, 10:08:41 PM
The phrase would be something like:

...These may show suspect changes in the bladder, which are confirmed by cystoscopic examinations...

But suspect doesn't feel entirely right in this context. :notsure:
The words they used with my MRI results were: "The findings are suspicious for..."
...These may show suspicious changes in the bladder, which are confirmed by cystoscopic examinations...

:shrug:

Yeah I think suspicious might be better. :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Yes, "sudpicious" is better as you now present the whole sentence.

The use of "growth" came to bother me because thst implies a change in appesrance, needing at least two separate observations.

Is the adjective actually needed?

"..These may show changes in the bladder, which are confirmed by cystoscopic examinations... "

Are you directly observing the bladder or infering change from indirect methods? Is the confirmation be assured or is there a "may" or "can" or even "could" " be confirmed" in there?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on November 07, 2017, 04:47:38 AM

The use of "growth" came to bother me because thst implies a change in appesrance, needing at least two separate observations.

"..These may show changes in the bladder, which are confirmed by cystoscopic examinations... "

Are you directly observing the bladder or infering change from indirect methods? Is the confirmation be assured or is there a "may" or "can" or even "could" " be confirmed" in there?

...These may show suspicious changes in the bladder, which are confirmed by cystoscopic examinations

"May show" and "suspicious changes" in the same sentence does show a lot of doubt.  :notsure:
But, the word, confirmed --state with confidence that the suspicion, (based on cystoscopic examination), is true.
Yes?  :eyebrow:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on November 07, 2017, 05:52:34 AM

...These may show suspicious changes in the bladder, which are confirmed by cystoscopic examinations

"May show" and "suspicious changes" in the same sentence does show a lot of doubt.  :notsure:
But, the word, confirmed --state with confidence that the suspicion, (based on cystoscopic examination), is true.

A lot still depends on the context, Mags. If you are describing the "general" process of examination and testing then you should say that any non-specific symptoms may be due to malignant processes, you cannot be sure until definitive tests or examinations are carried out. Even if you are describing an examination in progress you cannot be sure about the cause of any visual or tactile changes from "normal" until these are confirmed by other means.

Doubt is only fully removed when testing shows that the symptoms are due to a specific cause with acceptable certainty.

When describing a scientific process, an expetimrnt, if the same results are obtained each time then there is not room for doubt. If testing a drug unkess one gets a 100% positive dvery time there is still doubt in the efficacy of that drug, all you can say is that it will be effective in x% of uses. Whivh x% is unknown. Losartsn potassium is routinely prescribed for cardiac conditions, but I was one of the 1:10 000 that suffered extremely debilitating side effects from it.

One day, when all our genomes are routinely registered at birth, such findings may be compared and those genetically prone to such problems not prescribed such drugs.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 06, 2017, 09:13:01 PM
Please help me out here, the gears in my head are not turning smoothly today...can I say "The laboratory diagnosis is made, initially, by imaging methods"?

A diagnosis is made?

The laboratory diagnosis is made, initially, by using imaging methods.[/color]

If you want to be fancy you could use "utilising" in stead.
It's like guns, (may they always be free praise the lord,) they don't do the murdering, they are utilised.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

The idea is that imaging techniques show suspicious changes in the bladder, and whether there's an actual growth or not may be confirmed later by cystoscopic examination.

And yes, I have to keep the adjective because it's there in the original. :bigspecs:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 07, 2017, 10:53:59 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 06, 2017, 09:13:01 PM
Please help me out here, the gears in my head are not turning smoothly today...can I say "The laboratory diagnosis is made, initially, by imaging methods"?

A diagnosis is made?

The laboratory diagnosis is made, initially, by using imaging methods.[/color]

If you want to be fancy you could use "utilising" in stead.
It's like guns, (may they always be free praise the lord,) they don't do the murdering, they are utilised.

:grin: Grazie beaucoup!

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 07, 2017, 11:13:44 AM

The idea is that imaging techniques show suspicious changes in the bladder, and whether there's an actual growth or not may be confirmed later by cystoscopic examination.

And yes, I have to keep the adjective because it's there in the original. :bigspecs:

Ah! This is a quotation rather than a piece of your own writing? Or something you are paraphrasing, Silver?

Going back to Mag's comment about a lack of confidence the very word "suspicion" inplies a degree of "doubt until proven".

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 07, 2017, 11:24:22 AM
Ah! This is a quotation rather than a piece of your own writing? Or something you are paraphrasing, Silver?

Going back to Mag's comment about a lack of confidence the very word "suspicion" inplies a degree of "doubt until proven".

It's a chapter on bladder cancer that I'm translating for my aunt. It's erm...very interesting. So interesting it kept me awake last night.  :sidesmile:

I think suspicion sounds about right, then!  :thumbsup:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 07, 2017, 11:32:10 AM

It's a chapter on bladder cancer that I'm translating for my aunt. It's erm...very interesting. So interesting it kept me awake last night.  :sidesmile:

As if you do not have enough to do during the day! Don't burn out, Fernanda!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 07, 2017, 12:19:54 PM

I'll be fine, practically all I did since Friday was rest. :smilenod:

I'm still a wage slave, remember? ;) Though technically I don't get any actual wage anymore, just trying to get some change here and there.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 07, 2017, 12:38:06 PM
Quote from: Dave on November 07, 2017, 12:19:54 PM

I'll be fine, practically all I did since Friday was rest. :smilenod:

I'm still a wage slave, remember? ;) Though technically I don't get any actual wage anymore, just trying to get some change here and there.

Oh, is Auntie paying you for this work? That is a whole different kettle of fish! Translate on m'dear!

And don't forget to add it to your resumé.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 07, 2017, 12:42:01 PM
Oh, is Auntie paying you for this work? That is a whole different kettle of fish! Translate on m'dear!

Yes, she is. I do too much for free already! :P

She could have learnt English but chose to learn French instead, so now she has to pay to have her papers and chapters translated... :P But for anyone in the sciences it's a bit of a no-brainer which language one should opt for.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 07, 2017, 01:00:16 PM
Quote from: Dave on November 07, 2017, 12:42:01 PM

Yes, she is. I do too much for free already! :P

She could have learnt English but chose to learn French instead, so now she has to pay to have her papers and chapters translated... :P But for anyone in the sciences it's a bit of a no-brainer which language one should opt for.

Yes, despite the fact that French and German science has always been top notch English seems to have become a bit of a lingua frsnca - even before those Americans got their oar in! And despite the sizes of the Spanish and Portuguese empires and trade relationships. That is why I chose  the origins, borrowings, gifts, current dominance - and possible future - of English as my college research project.