News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Bummer!!  Today, London had a higher temperature than Tampa Florida has ever had since temps have been recorded.

My town in Central Florida had a smaller temp reading than New York City.

Not bragging here. It was still plenty hot in my back yard, about 90F at its high point.

I wonder whether those damned Texas right wing climate change deniers will blame their triple digit temps and life threatening droughts on Biden. 

Tom62

38 degrees Celsius here, but luckily there is a cool breeze.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

July 2022 was the driest month on record in the UK so far. For the first time some weather stations in the South East of England recorded on rain at all!

We also had the first ever recorded temperatures of 40C or 104F.

There were wildfires and while nobody was hurt 40+ houses and buildings were burned down in semi-rural areas East of London.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

rain thunder and lightning

nothing completely dries out before it rains again

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Mostly clear/partly cloudy and sunny here. It's nice. It's cool at night this time of year, but not cold. Mid-twenties during the day.

I think this year has been kind-of dry, but looking at the water supply for them hydroelectric whatnots, it's pretty much in the middle of what's average. (Not that the damnable electricity is likely to get any cheaper in my area, what with the Germans having shut down most of their nuclear stations and getting little Russian gas, and us having one or two of them ACER cables...)

If there is a moral lesson in this, it must be "blame Putin. And when done blaming him, blame the Germans."
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Billy, were you influenced by the disastrous weather pattern that hurt eastern Kentucky so badly?

billy rubin

not at all.

or at least, not so seriously.

here its been rainy and cool. electric blanket weather, and mud in th elane to the gravel road.

this part of north america is supposedly destined for mild rainly summers, and and fairly brief cold winters.

we've just had gentle rains and a few spectacular thunderstorms, while kentucky has cratered under the neglect that its politicians have forced upon it for some 30 years.

sorry, i see everything as political these days.

Tank

England is going through a 5 day heatwave at the moment. So as the grand sprouts are here we're going to see the latest Minions movie with them in a nice air-conditioned cinema.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

That movie was, in fact, enjoyable. The AC is generally enjoyable as well, so that sounds like joy all around... Well, except the children. Asmos are allergic to youth and spray for such things.

...Tangentially, that is also why The Asmo does not complain about His taxes going towards public kindergartens. A box with walls and roof and a lockable door, which has as its purpose keeping the young ones from invading His Divine Spaces is a marvellous idea.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

Tank

30oC+ for 4 consecutive days isn't pleasant :(

Asmodean

It's 30-ish around here as well today. Was also warm yesterday. Makes outside work in full reflective gear truly a miserable affair, but then, I'd rather boil than freeze.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on August 12, 2022, 11:48:52 AMIt's 30-ish around here as well today. Was also warm yesterday. Makes outside work in full reflective gear truly a miserable affair, but then, I'd rather boil than freeze.

Why are you dressed like that and working outside?

Asmodean

Because a part of what I do is onsite work, and being in construction industry, that entails outdoors networking in high hazard areas, hence reflective clothing, helmets, glasses, ear protection, steel toes - the works.

On the upside, I get to ride all sorts of self-propelled boom lifts and other such bright orange nonsense of heavy-duty steel and massive proportions.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.