News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Quote from: Recusant on June 28, 2022, 03:47:18 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on June 28, 2022, 05:41:06 AMI find the idea that the Supreme Court would ban contraception ridiculously paranoid. Even the most conservative spokesmen on social media (like Matt Walsh and Ben Shapiro) think that if you don't want to get pregnant then you should use contraceptives.

The US Supreme Court needn't ban contraception, and likely will not. As we see with abortion, all it needs to do is withdraw federal protection of the right to access to contraception and leave it to the regressive governments in states to ban it. Justice Thomas specifically referred to the ruling that recognized the right of access to contraceptives as one that the Christian zealot right wing justices would want to "reconsider."

Common, no one would stop you to buy a lifetime supply of condoms at Amazon or elsewhere.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

They have an shelf life though, don't they? Or are them best before dates for limiting liability and/or increasing sales?

In any case, maybe not buy that lifetime supply all at once. :???:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

billy rubin

im back in oklahoma.

some of my ancedtors walked here on the trail of tears, courtesy of andrew jackson some 150 years ago. my grandfather drove a wagon here at the age of ten in 1892.

im out in the prairie now, with the south wind blowing a steady 17mph, like it does most every day, all year. clear blue sky. yesterday i crossed the cimarron river, then the the north canadian. this morning i drove over the surfacevtrace of the old chisolm trail, the landvroute for cattle drives from texas to the railroads in kansas.

havent seen the chisolm trail in over fifty years.

last night i slept at a well pad near the pipeline i was delivering to. sandy haematite, the red dirt of the american west. covered in the little footprints and trails of kangaroo rats, dipodomys ordii. most dipodomys live farther west in tbe deserts, but ordii is an eastern pioneer.

a dove of a species i didnt recognize called in the evening, then in the morning again.

i lost a wheel bearing in this old trailer again, but spotted the problem before i lost the wheels. im parked now on a windy hilltop waiting for the axle surgeon.

this had been an 1100 mile trip that was pretty unremarkable, but losing wheels and axles is always a problem with old equipment.

but its beautiful up here. makes me wonder why i moved away 45 years ago.  gots lits of photographs, but cant upload anythin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Anne D.

Would love to see some pictures when you're able to upload them.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

Quote from: Anne D. on July 01, 2022, 02:47:28 AMWould love to see some pictures when you're able to upload them.

okurahoma

as my old japanese kanguage teacher used to say

kangaroo rat burrows

and tracks

hard to see in the higher sunlight. k rats are wonderful things. you can pick em up right off the ground if youre quick. ive never been bitten by one.

they never drink and synthesize all their water metabolically from dry food. ive kept them in dry terrariums for years and just fed them dry birdseed.

lots if adaptations for dry areas. and common. ive set a hundred live traps out in a time, run them at midnight when all were full, and run em again at sunrise when they were full again.

at dawn you can watch them scurry around by the dozens without getting up off your rock.

billy rubin

locoweed

datura sp.

makes cows go insane

too early in the year for the big white trumpet shaped flowers.

if you eat a little of this you experience psychedelic symptoms. too much and you get brain damage. more and you die.

in the teachings of don juan, carlos castaneda described using datura to contact the spirit world

billy rubin

stopped at the stockyard sale barn to see why i was losing wheel bearings and somebody unloaded this good looking palomino

on the other hand, i drove the next 160 miles like this

jumbojak

The pucker factor is high on that one Billy.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

billy rubin

lol

the axle surgeon welded on a new stub for me this morni g.

it was either deliver that way or sit in the stockyard for two days waiting, and i was a thousand miles from home with a motorcycle race in ten days. . now ive had to have axles welded twice on this trailer. two more and it will be new.

i spent the night in that well pad and csught the landing gear in a high cattleguard trying to get out . bent it forward. but we got that more or less straightened out by pulling it backwards with a skidsteer and another chain. that could have been bad, i freely admit

Dark Lightning

I've worked on brakes on trucks that size, but not many, I will admit. None of them experienced what you have had happen.