News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on November 09, 2021, 02:13:37 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 09, 2021, 08:40:01 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 08, 2021, 02:03:35 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on November 07, 2021, 07:17:37 PM

should we talk about this?

That poor baby is not coming out of the penis and the vagina and rectum are connected, so he/she will have to poop the baby out because he/she has no vulva!
Goddamit, even the baby is doing a facepalm!

Is it Bruno? it looks like one of his pics.
No, Bruno would've bragged about the size of his...uterus by now. ::)

Nah,...if that was a picture of me you would need to enlarge the picture some to make out the penis. I have huge nuts, butt the rest of it is kinda small.

Nowhere near as small, and tiny as Crow's though. 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on November 10, 2021, 07:46:13 PM

That poor baby is not coming out of the penis and the vagina and rectum are connected, so he/she will have to poop the baby out because he/she has no vulva!

Nah,...if that was a picture of me you would need to enlarge the picture some to make out the penis. I have huge nuts, butt the rest of it is kinda small.

QuoteI have huge nuts
You have made this abundantly clear...Many, many times:
https://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=14228.0
Thank you.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on November 11, 2021, 06:32:18 AM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on November 10, 2021, 07:46:13 PM

QuoteI have huge nuts
You have made this abundantly clear...Many, many times:
https://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=14228.0
Thank you.

You are most welcome my friend, most welcome indeed!! 8)

Magdalena

Question:
(Not related to PB's huge...stuff.)  ::)

Is Bitcoin a good investment?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

I asked my financial people about bit coin, and was told that it is unregulated, so they aren't even legally permitted to invest in it. Unregulated means you could lose it all in a heartbeat. I wouldn't buy into it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 11, 2021, 09:20:17 PM
I asked my financial people about bit coin, and was told that it is unregulated, so they aren't even legally permitted to invest in it. Unregulated means you could lose it all in a heartbeat. I wouldn't buy into it.
And yet people still invest in it? But if you think about it, 401 K was "regulated?" and in 2008, a lot of us lost it all in a heartbeat.  :notsure:

Ecurb Noselrub

I would rather put my money in something that has a more stable history than Bitcoin, but I'm conservative when it comes to investing.  Depends on your level of risk-willingness.  You feelin' lucky today?

billy rubin

why do i dream about noam chompsky?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 11, 2021, 10:33:04 PM
I would rather put my money in something that has a more stable history than Bitcoin, but I'm conservative when it comes to investing.  Depends on your level of risk-willingness.  You feelin' lucky today?
Maybe. :grin:

An article I read said:
"401(k) funds took a beating in 2008 — and it could happen again."
I won't be trusting them, again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me for being so trusting.  :smileshake:

I guess it depends on where you are when it comes to retiring. I have a long way, so I guess I could gamble. If I lose it, I have time to replace it.
--As I did back in 2008.  :sad sigh:

Icarus

If you want to invest in a semi sensible way, then just use a broker/advisor/ fiduciary  to buy into a mutual fund that has performed well over the years.  There are several ways to invest with risk scales and reward scales.  It should not be necessary to advise that those with least risk are traditionally the least profitable.

The most important part of investing is to go in for the long haul.  Buy some amalgamated tutti fruit and forget about it for ten years or more.  If you have had a decent bit of judgement and or luck, the stock will have appreciated and in some cases paid dividends which should be reinvested.  That is called  DRIP or Dividend Reinvestment Plan.  See Intel, Johnson and Johnson and similar firms.

Disclaimer:  I am risk averse in the extreme. I started saving in a piggy bank a long long time ago when I was paid 25 cents  per hour.   Losing thousands of dollars would have been devastating to me because if I had saved one penny per hour I would not have much to show for it.   Result........I did not trust the market and failed to invest in a long term program.  That was a damned poor decision on my part as it turns out. 

I was doing pretty well in 1987...89 or whenever it was...and had some un needed funds.  I let a slick broker persuade me to let him select a stock portfolio on my behalf.  Yeah,.... OK.  I gave him 5K.  Wi thin two weeks we had an event that will forever be known as Black Friday.  My 5K was now worth about a thousand dollars.  It did not take long for me to realize that I had shit in my own hat.  I let the investment rest without looking back.  It took four years for the investment to regain its origoinal 5K value.  Whew!  I was relieved and cashed out, never to invest in the market again. Well damn! If I had left it alone it would now be worth about 25K.   That's what is meant by staying in for the long term.

I am way too old to begin again.  The funds that I have had in excess of what I needed was put into CDs and savings accounts.  Sure enough the funds earned some money over time.  I felt Good about my decision because the funds were guaranteed by the FDIC.  I was making money with very little risk.  Yeah but that was when interest rates were attractive. In the Jimmy Carter era, interest rates were as much as ten percent.  Well now that has gone to hell in a handbasket.  Most banks are offering something like one third of one percent interest.  Meanwhile the inflation rate has gone apeshit. Interest income is not even close to inflation rate.

The bottom line is that I should have stayed , carefully invested, in market stocks and I would not have to worry about whether I might survive financially.   

There I have bared my soul to my HAF friends.  Do not bet you hat and your ass on Bitcoin or any such madness.  Do bet on the success, prosperity of good businesses like ....(fill in the blanks)....and stay in for the long haul. 

Dark Lightning

Investing in the stock market is for the long haul, and one must just ride the roller coaster. I don't remember how my 401(k) changed in '08; I was too busy busting my ass at work, working (literally) hundreds of hours of overtime per year. I was allowed to increase my donation to my 401(k) on a catch-up basis, by then. My wife talked me into talking to her parent's financial advisors in early '14. They got vetted by my wife's parents, over the course of 30 years, and have done very well by them. After I retired in October '14, my account dwindled by about 12% in the first couple of years. From there, it has rebounded and I have 50% more in that account than I did when I retired. One just can't push and pull money in that environment.

Tank

Only invest in Bitcoin what you are prepared to lose. It's a gamble and things like this have in the past tended to 'burst' in due course.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

QuoteDo not bet you hat and your ass on Bitcoin or any such madness.

QuoteI would rather put my money in something that has a more stable history than Bitcoin.

QuoteIasked my financial people about bitcoin, and was told that it is unregulated.

QuoteOnly invest in Bitcoin what you are prepared to lose. It's a gamble and things like this have in the past tended to 'burst' in due course.

No Bitcoin supporters.
--Got it.  :notes:

Also, note to self: google Noam Chomsky.  :bigspecs:

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on November 11, 2021, 10:41:17 PM
why do i dream about noam chompsky?

A close friend and fellow student was a huge Chomsky fan. I had to endure hours of his gushing about Chomsky's greatness, while I had other unmentionable things on my mind.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on November 12, 2021, 02:00:24 PM
QuoteDo not bet you hat and your ass on Bitcoin or any such madness.

QuoteI would rather put my money in something that has a more stable history than Bitcoin.

QuoteIasked my financial people about bitcoin, and was told that it is unregulated.

QuoteOnly invest in Bitcoin what you are prepared to lose. It's a gamble and things like this have in the past tended to 'burst' in due course.

No Bitcoin supporters.
--Got it.  :notes:

QuoteCheck again on PB's huge...stuff.

Also, note to self: google Noam Chomsky.  :bigspecs:

::)