News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 19, 2018, 10:06:51 PM
Cancer staging determines disease progression and prognostics. Stages range from 0 to 4, with the latter being end-stage cancer. What would be a good way to say the cancer got worse in terms of stage progression? As in, went from stage 3 to 4, for instance.

:notsure:

I think the most common way of phrasing it is to say that the cancer "advanced" from stage I to stage II.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: jimbob on December 20, 2018, 04:11:33 AM
Silver,

I lost my wife to cancer, and if the devil did exist, it's name would be Cancer.

i attempt to conceal my emotions, but my wishes for your recovery are the strongest I could possible feel toward you.

This made me panic! xSPx does translation as a side line. She's fine!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jimbob on December 20, 2018, 04:11:33 AM
Silver,

I lost my wife to cancer, and if the devil did exist, it's name would be Cancer.

i attempt to conceal my emotions, but my wishes for your recovery are the strongest I could possible feel toward you.

I'm very sorry to hear that, jimbob. :( I truly am.

As far as I know, I'm not afflicted with this terrible disease. I posted the question in this thread to ask for help regarding proper word usage since I'm translating a scientific review article on cancer into English. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on December 20, 2018, 05:13:20 AM
Cancer staging determines disease progression and prognostics. Stages range from 0 to 4, with the latter being end-stage cancer. What would be a good way to say the cancer got worse in terms of stage progression? As in, went from stage 3 to 4, for instance.

:notsure:

I think the most common way of phrasing it is to say that the cancer "advanced" from stage I to stage II.

Seems so obvious now.  :thumbsup:

Bad Penny II

Cancer staging determines disease progression....
What would be a good way to say the cancer got worse in terms of stage progression

It's progressed?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 20, 2018, 01:26:09 PM
Cancer staging determines disease progression....
What would be a good way to say the cancer got worse in terms of stage progression

It's progressed?

Perhaps, but I don't like 'progressed'. :P

Bad Penny II

Should of said you were after a euphemism for progressed then. :P
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 20, 2018, 01:43:13 PM
Should of said you were after a euphemism for progressed then. :P

I'll keep that in mind for next time. ;)

jimbob

"As far as I know, I'm not afflicted with this terrible disease. I posted the question in this thread to ask for help regarding proper word usage since I'm translating a scientific review article on cancer into English.  "

so sorry to have misunderstood. i'm new here, and only read the most current posts, unless I find it useful to go back further to catch up on the topic.

at any rate, I am delighted to know of your good health.

xSilverPhinx

Is there a word for a person who consumes alcohol but is not necessarily an alcoholic? :notsure:

ETA: would 'ethylist' work? It doesn't seem to be too common to me...

ETA(again): or just 'drinker'? Sounds a bit too colloquial, though.

hermes2015

I think a good description would be problem drinker.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on March 30, 2019, 09:07:50 PM
A habitual drinker?  :notsure:

Yeah, that crossed my mind, but I need a word that includes alcoholics as well as the habitual drinkers. :grin:

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2019, 09:20:54 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 30, 2019, 09:07:50 PM
A habitual drinker?  :notsure:

Yeah, that crossed my mind, but I need a word that includes alcoholics as well as the habitual drinkers. :grin:
Put both in one word!?
I don't think you can even put them in the same room! They don't even like each other!
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant