News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on August 24, 2023, 12:42:59 AMexcellent

what about the aquarium?

Well worth the trip.

Quotecannery row?

Full of tourists.

Quoteread your steinbeck?

Pam bought a copy and I'll read it when I have done with my current SiFi trilogy.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on August 24, 2023, 05:34:48 AMPlenty good travelogue Tank.  Thanks for the great Pix.

I trust that you are aware that San Francisco is far from a typical slice of Americana.

Is anywhere 'typical' of America? It's 1/4 of a continent so there is bound to be diversity. It's different from Chicago and Los Angeles the other two places I have spent more than a weekend in and Boston where I spent a long weekend once. Where would you say is typical of America?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on August 24, 2023, 06:36:27 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 23, 2023, 09:34:11 PMAround and about SF

Excellent, another place I needn't go 'cause I've seen Tanks' pics.

What was the result of your Tarot reading?
Does the water around Alcatraz look tricky?

I obviously didn't do a Tarot reading. Why would I given my wife is an expert?
And the water around Alcatraz is not somewhere you would voluntarily go for a swim, dark, turbid and cold with serious currents to contend with.

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Tank

Sonoma, a very pretty little town north of SF across the Golden Gate bridge. There was a great jazz band playing too, the Alpha Rhythm Kings.

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Tank on August 24, 2023, 01:21:08 PMAnd the water around Alcatraz is not somewhere you would voluntarily go for a swim, dark, turbid and cold with serious currents to contend with.

Ye, the story was always escape from Alcatraz was nigh on impossible, the treacherous waters...

It's large scale,
QuoteThe bay covers somewhere between 400 and 1,600 square miles (1,000–4,000 km2), depending on which sub-bays (such as San Pablo Bay), estuaries, wetlands, and so on are included in the measurement.

Over 5' foot tidal range, sometimes.
The bridge is wide 2km-ish, still, a lot of water is going to pass that way, though flow is just flow until it is opposed by wind or constriction.

I'm going to chance it, a night time escape, (low wind) incoming tide, a chunk of buoyancy, I think I could make it to Treasure Island.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Tank

One of the last Liberty ships in existence. Didn't have a chance to get onboard unfortunately.

billy rubin

i didnt think they were customarily armed

unless this was a Q-ship?

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on August 24, 2023, 03:40:25 PMi didnt think they were customarily armed

unless this was a Q-ship?

According to Wiki they had a 4" rear mounted gun for use against surfaced submarines and various ad hoc anti aircraft guns. I also did not realise they were armed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_ship

Icarus

Tank, there is no typical America. It is a mixed bag both socially, politically, educationally,and economically. Oh!... and religiously.   San Francisco is one of the bastions of free thinking and an area of prosperity. (prosperity: suggests much higher cost of living in this case).

The major cities each have their own personality. Boston, Chicago, and others such as Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans all have a perceptibly different take. I suspect that England may also have cities with differing characteristics.

In any case Welcome to the colonies.  I do hope that you enjoy your adventure into this strange and confused land. Next time around try to visit some of our many National parks. Almost all of them are spectacular, even breath taking.

billy rubin

im sorry.

i am the typical american.

all desiring the designstion must emulate Me.

Icarus

^ Billy; you are a loooong distance away from being a typical American. :thumbsup:

billy rubin

cut me, do i not bleed?

im as typical as you are.

i butter my bread on one side only. i put my trousers on both legs at once. i have never been up in a hot air  balloon.

how mych more typical can you ask for?

Tank

Given America is founded on individuality there cannot possibly be a typical America. There are a verity of stereotypes though :)