News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on September 10, 2020, 01:13:39 AM
Quote from: Davin on September 09, 2020, 08:23:59 PM
I'm just happy that we finally had day below 100°, and also that our 50 day streak of highs > 110° is over.
Did it fall to 99.999 degrees?
:snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

So, in about a week and a half we have gone from over 100 degrees, to a week of rain, and now an early cool spell that got down to 59 this morning.  This is giving me whiplash.

xSilverPhinx

Rain, wind, thunder and rain yesterday night. I am fortunate to live in the part of the country with the most lightning strikes, so that's a plus. Did I mention it rained like hell? And the wind! For a moment I thought the roof was going to fly away.

I had also left my bedroom window open at night because of the heat but was way too lazy to close it, so I spent an hour or two awake in bed wondering if water was gushing inside my room. ::)   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

It was supposed to rain today. It didn't. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

Our meteorologist can't make up their mind whether we are supposed to have rain. It doesn't look like it is going to happen,
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

We are in the monsoon season here in central Florida.  It rains every day, sometimes for hours on end.  That makes my grass grow happily but it causes me to have to mow the grass every five days. Also makes my roof leak, which is a problem that i am currently addressing. It is going to use up about 14K dollars to replace the tired, 16 year old, roof.   The deal is that If I do it now, the Hurricane season is upon us.  If a stage two or more Hurricane passes over me, which it might,  my new roof may be toast.

Meanwhile Mags, Books, and their neighboring areas need the rain desperately.  Is half of our left coast afire?  I feel for the people out there and would cheerfully share some of my rain with them if I could.

Tank

Last two nice days of the year by the look of it. One thing making this lockdown at least part bearable has been the weather. I'm not looking forward to winter :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

first frost day before yesterday.

orion is high in the south in the predawn. i never see it start to rise. i only notice it after its way up there.

the bees are bringing in propolis to seal up the hives.

first wooly bear this last wek.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Looks like the good/warm weather is over for this year.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Quote from: Tank on September 22, 2020, 06:43:56 PM
Looks like the good/warm weather is over for this year.
We still have the Indian Summer coming up. I know it's politically incorrect but that's what we've always called it in the fall. It's about a three day warm spell that comes up and then temperatures begin really drop afterwards. Maybe the name has been changed to Native American Summer.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

is it politically incorrect? i know american indians dont have anything to do with the weather but nobody knows where the term came from and its not perjorative.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfgate.com/bayarea/amp/Is-Indian-summer-offensive-politically-correct-13285287.php

is it not pc because it simply mentions an ethnic group?  what about " chinese puzzle," or "dutch uncle?" what exactly are we trying to encourage or suppress?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

The heck if I know. It's getting to a point where we can't say anything because of fear of hurting someone's insensitivities.

Davin

A few days below 100°, but still holding on to summer. Probably until mid to late October.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

billy rubin

as a citizen of the cherokee nation i proclaim "indian summer" is not politically incoorect.

id do the chickasaws to but im not official there

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on September 23, 2020, 02:56:14 PM
is it politically incorrect? i know american indians dont have anything to do with the weather but nobody knows where the term came from and its not perjorative.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfgate.com/bayarea/amp/Is-Indian-summer-offensive-politically-correct-13285287.php

is it not pc because it simply mentions an ethnic group?  what about " Chinese puzzle," or "dutch uncle?" what exactly are we trying to encourage or suppress?

I don't know...Maybe it's like changing "COVID-19" to "the China Virus" or "the CHY-NAH Virus" or "the Chinese Virus" or "the Kung-Flu."

:reading:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant