News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on November 13, 2019, 05:30:54 PM
im in ohio

when the pleistocene sets in here we'll be below freezing until the usual temporary thaw in february.

right now tbe daylight temperature is dancing on either side of freezing. im putting up plastic on tbe old leaky windows and am looking forward to indoor temperaturez soaring into the fiftiez and sixties

What's with all the "z" stuff?  That must be exhausting to pull off.

billy rubin

nah

it's my personal superpwer. i have thg esuper ability to make random typographic erros at a rate and consistency that ordinary people cannot hope to match.,

never mind the quality, feel the width.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

BR that's a dead ringer for my little Ajay. It might even be one of the 18CS models 'cause it looks like it might have alloy barrel and heads.  The standard models were cast iron.  The CS designation was "Competition Special". It was the first Brit swing arm scoot to arrive on these shores. The Triumphs of the era had the Spring hub layout and all the Harleys were rigid frames until the new sportster came out in about 1954. 

You have a Beezer too?  I have a friend who has a whole platoon of bikes that include a Victor. He also has a Commando, a triumph TT. Honda Hawk, and a mess of other miscellaneous bikes.  There is also a  Suzy DR350 that I have breathed on rather extensively with head work, cam, induction tract mods, and more.  He never rode the thing. Jack is 75, in poor health, and I fear that I will have to dispose of that collection one of these days. I am his executor. 

Were it not for all those soccer moms, driving giant SUVs and not paying attention,  I would adopt the triumph.  But alas I ain't gettin' on the street with a bike anymore.  Dear lord I really want to. Last bike I had was a sweet little Honda XR100. It was more fun than a barrel of monkeys.  That was the bike that Kenny Roberts used to train road racer type students.

And no I don't know why we are doing motorcycles on the weather thread.  Should be in the petrol section. 

Dark Lightning

Must be the exhaust fumes...I love the smell of nitromethane!

billy rubin

lol

its snowy outside, not much but there. i spent yesterday sealing the house and we went from around 50 to over 60 F inside.

ive got two thunderbolts, the 441, and a little seized up starfire i'll never get around to fixing. but the thumpers reprezent a spectacular njche in engineering that no longer existz. i rode a gold star one time, and that was an introduction. but the AJS and matchlessez are more aesthetically arranged to my eye. that stuff is vastly subjective but i know what i like

the old hawks were great machines. another niche disappeared withbshifting culture

DL, one of the machinists i work with has a barrel of nitro and keeps at me to try it out. but im not interested in riding a bomb, yet

two more windows tomorrow

Icarus

Another apology to the weather thread..................

BR when I was young. and newly married wy wife, a decent rider,  and I wanted to ride from Groton Connecticut to Three Rivers Quebec for a closed circuit road race the Canadians were doing.  We did ride all the way up there on our two Triumph Tiger Cubs.   Miraculously we made it all the way back home without the develish clutch failures that the Cubs were famous for.  The ignition systems were of questionable reliability too. 

While camping out in Vermont, at night we were also accosted by bears.  A good time was had by all. The Cubs were distinctly faster than the bears. 

billy rubin

cubs!

i wanted one for my kids. got the ill-conceived starfire instead, as cubs are thin on the ground. although a man in the next town south of here has one on a lift in his front window. but it's been on that lift for at least the last five years.

riding a cub for that distance is like crossing the atlantic in a rowboat, though.  wasn't the plain bearing on the crank a source of angst to cub owners?

Icarus

No problem with the main bearings.  In fact I rode the Cub quite successfully for a lot of hare scrambles.  The Cub turned out to be a most appropriate scooter for trials events.  I became the Florida state champ at trials with the Cub. I did well in New England trials too.   The deal was that the light weight allowed me to do an almost stoppie and kick the rear end around so to make a difficult acute turn on the trials course.   

The scrambles at that time all used Le Mans type starts.  After converting it to battery ignition it would start with merely a hard look at  the starter lever. I got a lot of hole shots.

That little bike would be laughed out of town when compared to a modern trials bike such as the Gas-Gas or similar purpose built machine. Also laughed at when compared to a modern Moto bike.  It was a good little machine at that time in the dark ages.

While I am at it....I beseech you to take up trials riding and abandon the LSR lunacy.  If you fall off the trials bike you might break a bone or get some bruises.  If you fall of the LSR bike your children run a serious risk of becomimg fatherless.  I am waxing philosophical here. Skill and finesse is equal or superior to balls to the wall macho stuff, no matter what your buddies say.

I think that I have unintentionally derailed this thread big time. You are also culpable BR.  My apologies to the atmospheric interests.

billy rubin

trials is super specialized and quite interesting. but falling down on a speed run is not necessarilly more dangerous.

i suffered a speed wobble on my old bonneville many years ago and went down on a country road at well over a hundred miles per hour. i walked away and recently took that same machine to 117 at the races.

and i plead guilty to repetitive 5hread derailing. i cannot help myself

hermes2015

Don't know why I am feeling the heat today; 31° with 14% humidity isn't that bad. I'm so happy I have an air con in my bedroom.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Anne D.

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 30, 2019, 03:00:01 PM
Don't know why I am feeling the heat today; 31° with 14% humidity isn't that bad. I'm so happy I have an air con in my bedroom.

Braggart  :)   I think we're at freezing here in Minneapolis today. Sometimes I really miss Texas.

hermes2015

Quote from: Anne D. on December 11, 2019, 03:39:09 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 30, 2019, 03:00:01 PM

Braggart  :)   I think we're at freezing here in Minneapolis today. Sometimes I really miss Texas.

:sidesmile:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I had the AC on today at work with snow expected tomorrow.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

It reached 36C today. A hot, humid 36 frickin' C.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

After an entire week of cold, rain, and thunder, the sun has returned, bringing much-needed warmth! It's expected to reach a pleasant 24°C today, so the little birds in the trees surrounding my building are singing with joy this morning.
― Charles Eames