Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 02, 2018, 07:20:09 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 02, 2018, 12:52:23 PM
It's really hot here.

Meanwhile, in Europe...

:lol:

And in So Cal, it was really cold, then it was raining, and now it's just windy.  As we wait for the super-volcano under Yellowstone to erupt.

Hope thst's a lo-o-ong wait!

Saw a TV film once that, very convincingly and very frightening, dramatised such an event. With that on one side and a dodgy bit of geology on La Palma in the Canaries that will inundate the Cartibean and the whole East coasts of America and Canada (and the West coast of part of Africa) with a tsunami 30 - 50+m high.

The Mid-West looks attractive, if global warming/volcanic winter does not turn it all to desert/ice field. . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on March 02, 2018, 07:58:53 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 02, 2018, 07:20:09 PM

And in So Cal, it was really cold, then it was raining, and now it's just windy.  As we wait for the super-volcano under Yellowstone to erupt.

Hope thst's a lo-o-ong wait!

Yeah.  I read something a while back about the North American Plate moving over the Yellowstone magma chamber which will put it under a protective layer of very solid rock for a geologically long time, preventing a catastrophic eruption within the human lifetime -- but only if the magma gets under the rock before anything dicey happens.  In the meantime, they've found another buried super-volcano out in the Californian desert.  Yippee.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

jumbojak

Might be sleeping in the car because of this damn wind. Ferry is down, interstates are clogged and cut off. I'm trapped... drove two and a half hours to get to work and probably won't make it home tonight.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on March 02, 2018, 09:31:41 PM
Might be sleeping in the car because of this damn wind. Ferry is down, interstates are clogged and cut off. I'm trapped... drove two and a half hours to get to work and probably won't make it home tonight.

There's many over here that know that problem, including a commuter train load of people stuck all night with no food or heater in the snow and a guy who took 15 hours to do a 1 hour car journey - then got stuck at work because of broken down and crashed vehicles clogging the road. We have had a surgeon walking miles to do an urgent operation and many other incredible, dedicated people doing their best to get important things done.

There have been stories to boost my feelings about human nature.

Tank

Bummer! There are people in the UK who have been stuck in their cars over 10 hours now due to this shit weather!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Are you still waiting in your car, JJ:(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

I made it out and got as far as my mom's house. Lots of downed trees and one guy was killed yesterday when power lines fell on his truck. The temperature dropped into the 20s so I had to make a move somewhere.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on March 03, 2018, 11:44:10 AM
I made it out and got as far as my mom's house. Lots of downed trees and one guy was killed yesterday when power lines fell on his truck. The temperature dropped into the 20s so I had to make a move somewhere.
Good news, JJ !

jumbojak

Add a six year old to the list. Crushed by a tree in Chester. I can't remember a storm this powerful that was just wind. I'm glad it's not raining too but it's very odd.

Tank

It's just stating to thaw now and tomorrow it's supposed to be getting up to 5°C
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on March 03, 2018, 04:56:21 PM
It's just stating to thaw now and tomorrow it's supposed to be getting up to 5°C

A barmy balmy 8oC and a  crying sun in this area it seems

Harmonie

The sun is shining, it's way too darn warm, everything's turning green, the bugs are coming back, and I want to die... Cry.

But it was on this mid 60s day I was walking outside to the store and had to stop and think "What is wrong with me?". Even though it is sunny, the mid 60s should not feel hot. They're supposed to be in between hot and cold... Yet, here I am truthfully feeling hot. I have to wonder what is going on with me.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

xSilverPhinx

They're saying it's going to reach 37°C today.  :desert:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on March 03, 2018, 11:44:10 AM

Yay for mom's house, sorry about the guy in the truck. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Pleasant weather today! Sunny, not too humid, temperature is 24°C.

This calls for a smiley change.

:hammock:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey