News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Weather can't make up it's mind anymore:  cold, cold, warm, cold, raining, warmish.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Been a day of frigid winds and bright sunshine interspersed with driving snow.

Four days ago I could turn the gas heater (850W) in my single room on at 9am (boosted by 30 minutes of an electric fan heater), off at midday, on again at 6pm to maintain a comfortable temp.

That heater was turned on Monday morning and has not been turned off since - running 24hrs and is just about maintaining 21C. Next notch is 1.5kW and too warm. I have kept the bathroom door open so I don't freeze any bits off on my frequent nightly visits!

Actually, being at the far diagonal from the heater the bathroom collects quite a lot of the warm air before it cools a little and slithers back across the floor. Where I sit, in the other diagonal corner, from the window, is probably the cooler axis.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Harmonie

It's too warm, and it rained earlier. The wind was so strong when it was raining that it destroyed my umbrella. Then when the rain went away the wind was gone and the air became stale and too warm. Thank you weather for being crappy like that.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I'm so ready to move!

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Sandra Craft

Sandy

Tank

The first 'Red' weather warning issued in Scotland in 5 years. Very cold by UK standards and extremely windy. Glad I don't have to go into work again till Monday!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tom62

-10 to -19 degrees here, with a strong wind; so it feels much colder.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Dave

I am trying to avoid going out in it!

This, we are told this is just the start.

Tank

Dave

Quote from: Tank on March 01, 2018, 05:53:43 PM
"hoing out in it!"
:notsure:

Yup, that and foing, toing, boing boing, yoing and going, as well!   :grin:

Dave

Friend just emailed to say that her 8" high Yorkie just went out into the garden for a crap, then broke through the crust into 9" snow! Very unhappy pooch!

Reminded me of my first posting out of training in the RAF, the deep, deep winter of 1962-3. I was crossing the aitfield, on foot, on the snow, after doing daily inspections on some radio gear.

I kept thinking something was wrong. Then I got it, I could see the field over the 6ft boundary hedge. At that point the crust gave way and I disappeared into five feet + of drifted snow - there was a slight dip at that point. When I had floundered my way out and got back to the control tower all the controllers were in fits of laughter - to them I had simply disappeared in an instant!

No bugger sent out a rescue team though!

Added:  Our CO actually got a rollicking for allowing a first line airfield to be closed by snow. But we were in a cluster of three airfields sharing the same clearance equipment. Not just snow ploughs but one pair of old Meteor jet engines, on a "push trailler" in front of a tanker, used like giant hair dryers to "blow-dry" the runways.

Oh, and three of us were awarded "fatigues" (snow clearing appropriately) for having a snowball fight with the USAF liaison captain! I guess the csptain got a private, "Just not British, old chap.." type telling off.

xSilverPhinx

It's really hot here.

Meanwhile, in Europe...

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

^ that could be what the inside of my kitchen sink drain pipe looks like. Wouldn't drain and the trap, though yeuky and smelly inside, is not that bad.

Was preparing lunch so finishing that off awaits my attention, trap now soaking in bleachy water and hair drier at the ready!

Continued in Grumpy thread . . .

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 02, 2018, 12:52:23 PM
It's really hot here.

Meanwhile, in Europe...

:lol:

And in So Cal, it was really cold, then it was raining, and now it's just windy.  As we wait for the super-volcano under Yellowstone to erupt.
Sandy