News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Finally had some slightly colder weather this morning. Could it be the prelude to something more tolerable than 30-something degrees Celsius?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tom62

Russia is sending us ice cold weather from Siberia. I'm pretty sure it is a Putin-Trump conspiracy, to give Trump enough reasons to claim that global warming is a hoax  ;).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

It's been all over the weather forcasts here in the UK.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2018, 07:30:00 AM
It's been all over the weather forcasts here in the UK.

It was all over my car the other day!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Global warming has come to Florida early this year.  Days have temps in the low 80s F and nights in the high 60s F... Spring has sprung!

Harmonie

It finally stopped raining! It's been raining for days and days and days. It never stopped. I got so tired of all of my clothes, shoes, and socks being soaked.

Even when it got down to near or below freezing it was still flipping rain. I hate this state. I hate it so much.

Quote from: Icarus on February 24, 2018, 11:02:51 PM
Global warming has come to Florida early this year.  Days have temps in the low 80s F and nights in the high 60s F... Spring has sprung!

Isn't that standard winter weather down in Florida?

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

jumbojak

Yep. The pear trees are already starting to bud. Hopefully we get a blizzard that kills them all.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on February 25, 2018, 07:55:18 PM

Yep. The pear trees are already starting to bud. Hopefully we get a blizzard that kills them all.

:lol: Why?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on February 24, 2018, 06:53:06 AM
Russia is sending us ice cold weather from Siberia. I'm pretty sure it is a Putin-Trump conspiracy, to give Trump enough reasons to claim that global warming is a hoax  ;).

Definitely. :popcorn:

Tank

It was bloody cold today, but not a cloud in the sky so beautifully sunny. Thank goodness there was little or no wind!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 25, 2018, 09:32:16 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on February 25, 2018, 07:55:18 PM

:lol: Why?

I'll make a guess: if you are not into making perry (or cider in the case of apples)  clearing up dropped fruit if a real pain in the back! It's why I designed a garden shoveller-lifter thing for my friend's sack truck. You could shove the apples into it, transport and then bag them actually without needing to lift them yourself. (Works with leaves, dirt etc.) Then she moved to an apple free zone before I finished it . . .

jumbojak

When these houses were put in back in the 90s a tree called the Bradford pear was very, very popular because they grow quickly and have very impressive flowers. They look like cotton balls from a distance.

Unfortunately the Bradford has proven to be an extremely invasive species. They were supposed to be sterile but cross pollinate with Cleveland pears to create a truly awful hybrid that's covered in long, sharp thorns. These offspring create an extremely dense, low canopy that crowds out all native plant species. Not even grass and common weeds get enough light to grow. The fruit is inedible and the leaves have a thick waxy coating that repels herbivores and insects.

Places where their spread has gone unchecked have seen huge amounts of land become wastelands, save for these Bradford Cleveland hybrids. When cut, these trees regrow into a thick bush that's even more damaging than full trees. Think hedgerows in Normandy...

Even powerfull herbicides seem to have little effect. Roundup won't phase them, even the specific woody plant formulations. Crossbow might tinge the edges of the leaves but they recover quickly. I've tried a substance called KILLALL on freshly cut and drilled stumps and the sucker branches still crawl out of the holes like some hellish vine.

Copper sulfate will kill them but is so toxic to plants that it leaves a barren plain for quite some time. Fire can be used but their thick root system creates a smoldering hazard that could go unnoticed for days and... if the fire doesn't sufficiently damage the root system fresh suckers will spring up. Thorny and hateful. Fast growing enough that natie plants can't crowd them out. To add insult to injury, I've heard the smell of their rotting flowers compared to the mop bucket from a blowjob bar in Thailand.

But they look so pretty.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on February 25, 2018, 10:05:14 PM
When these houses were put in back in the 90s a tree called the Bradford pear was very, very popular because they grow quickly and have very impressive flowers. They look like cotton balls from a distance.

Unfortunately the Bradford has proven to be an extremely invasive species. They were supposed to be sterile but cross pollinate with Cleveland pears to create a truly awful hybrid that's covered in long, sharp thorns. These offspring create an extremely dense, low canopy that crowds out all native plant species. Not even grass and common weeds get enough light to grow. The fruit is inedible and the leaves have a thick waxy coating that repels herbivores and insects.

Places where their spread has gone unchecked have seen huge amounts of land become wastelands, save for these Bradford Cleveland hybrids. When cut, these trees regrow into a thick bush that's even more damaging than full trees. Think hedgerows in Normandy...

Even powerfull herbicides seem to have little effect. Roundup won't phase them, even the specific woody plant formulations. Crossbow might tinge the edges of the leaves but they recover quickly. I've tried a substance called KILLALL on freshly cut and drilled stumps and the sucker branches still crawl out of the holes like some hellish vine.

Copper sulfate will kill them but is so toxic to plants that it leaves a barren plain for quite some time. Fire can be used but their thick root system creates a smoldering hazard that could go unnoticed for days and... if the fire doesn't sufficiently damage the root system fresh suckers will spring up. Thorny and hateful. Fast growing enough that natie plants can't crowd them out. To add insult to injury, I've heard the smell of their rotting flowers compared to the mop bucket from a blowjob bar in Thailand.

But they look so pretty.

Wow.

I see why now.  :shocked:

jumbojak

Yeah, I hate these trees with a passion. One other aspect I forgot to mention. They have a spreading branch structure with almost no bole which makes these trees weak and succeptible to wind damage. So if you plant them near your house make sure you have some siding stashed away to match. They will eventually split and come down in a storm.

Hey look, with mention of a storm we're back to talking about the weather! :D

Dave

Been bluddy cood, minus 5C last night. Flurries of snow during day, just got heavier and is settling.

Small stuff for some of youse guys but this might be just the start of a few days of white stuff.