News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Tom62 on June 12, 2017, 06:52:20 PM
It is 30 degrees here, so I'm sitting half naked in front of the computer.

Which...

No, forget that!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Claireliontamer

It's going to be hot, hot, hot this weekend :)

Dave

Having bere working outside, prepping the front door for psinting, I am now basking under my ceiling fan. We don't often get hot, sticky weather in the UK but I am always happy with that investment when we do!

Also that I paid out for one with remote control.

Hmmm, wonder if I can modify my dehumidifier into an air conditioner. Currently it blows warm, dry air into the room rather than cold, dry air. Hmm, need a trunk to a vent to get the warm air outside without letting the cold air escape.

xSilverPhinx

It's supposed to be cold here but today temperatures probably hit 20 degrees Celsius.  :suspicious:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Harmonie

Miserable, just absolutely miserable. But it is just a few days away from being summer. I just don't expect there still to be a wall of heat when I walk out the door during the night.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

hermes2015

We have had a mild winter, with minimum temperatures at night around 5° and daytime maxima of 16 to 20. Our winter humidity is very low, because it does not rain for a few months. So we have beautiful clear skies and bright sunshine. The downside is lots of static shocks when one touches door handles and other metal objects. The trick is to touch a wall first to discharge oneself before touching any metal.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 17, 2017, 06:30:29 AM
We have had a mild winter, with minimum temperatures at night around 5° and daytime maxima of 16 to 20. Our winter humidity is very low, because it does not rain for a few months. So we have beautiful clear skies and bright sunshine. The downside is lots of static shocks when one touches door handles and other metal objects. The trick is to touch a wall first to discharge oneself before touching any metal.

Used to suffer that in a well carpetted, air conditioned work location, could draw sparks from a finger to a metal plate type light switch. Found the solution was the quick open palmed slap, dissipate the energy over a larger, low resistance area rather than the "electrode" of a finger tip.

Once demonstrated static to some nephews and nieces by getting one to stand on four short glass tumblers and stroke the cat wearing a plastic glove on that hand. Then  move the forefinger of the other hand towards the cat's nose.

The cat was not impressed - but the kids were!

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on June 17, 2017, 06:55:47 AM

Used to suffer that in a well carpetted, air conditioned work location, could draw sparks from a finger to a metal plate type light switch. Found the solution was the quick open palmed slap, dissipate the energy over a larger, low resistance area rather than the "electrode" of a finger tip.

Once demonstrated static to some nephews and nieces by getting one to stand on four short glass tumblers and stroke the cat wearing a plastic glove on that hand. Then  move the forefinger of the other hand towards the cat's nose.

Another nice demonstration is to hold a fluorescent light tube in the hand and shuffle your feet on the carpet in a dark room.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 17, 2017, 09:46:45 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 17, 2017, 06:55:47 AM

Another nice demonstration is to hold a fluorescent light tube in the hand and shuffle your feet on the carpet in a dark room.

Yes, kinder to cats as well!   :grin:

Dave

Trying to put a water based, quick dry undercoat on street door.

So hot that a skin was forming on the surface of the paint in the tin! Left it at the  mullions, will try again when the Sun is behind the big tree, about 3pm.

My pet hunting spiders were running over the freshly painted surfaces within minutes without leaving footprints or getting stuck.

OldGit

Quote from: GlosMy pet hunting spiders were running over the freshly painted surfaces within minutes without leaving footprints or getting stuck.

Stand on an insulator and fry the buggers!

Claireliontamer

I have enjoyed the sun a little too much and am now on the pink side.

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on June 17, 2017, 05:39:47 PM
Quote from: GlosMy pet hunting spiders were running over the freshly painted surfaces within minutes without leaving footprints or getting stuck.

Stand on an insulator and fry the buggers!

Hm, got the EHT unit (14 000 Volts) from an industrial grade air ioniser somewhere . . .

No! I like those little "zebra" jumping spiders!  There is a whole family of them near the front door and they always come out to see what is causing the vibrations on the door when I open it or work on it.

'Bout the only spider I do like.

Claireliontamer

Another beautiful day here.  Too nice and sunny to be stuck inside marking exam papers, wondering if I can work in the garden...

Dave

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 19, 2017, 10:57:49 AM
Another beautiful day here.  Too nice and sunny to be stuck inside marking exam papers, wondering if I can work in the garden...

Too damned hot here to paint the street door in full sun!