News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

my reason for being a vegetarian

Started by quizlixx, October 23, 2008, 06:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quizlixx

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "Tom62"(like with this horrible tasting tofu).
The soft tofu also makes a great replacement for cream cheese in a spinach dip recipe I use.
o, cool can you send it to me? i love spinach dip
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Tom62

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I like tofu (my husband will eat it too).  I think the key is to not use it in a way where it is trying to imitate the flavor of meat (as that is not possible).  I buy the extra firm kind and press the excess water out by setting it on a towel with a weighted plate for about 30 min.  The thing about tofu is that is has very little taste of its own so it will pick up the flavors of marinades very well.  Of course, that also means you have to be a bit more careful about how much and what seasonings you try to put on it.

The soft tofu also makes a great replacement for cream cheese in a spinach dip recipe I use.
I've tried tofu several of times with different type of seasonings, but there is something in the tofu that my stomach can't handle. Small dices of it in f.e. a miso soup are still o.k., but if I eat a larger portion then my stomach revolts.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Whitney

Quote from: "quizlixx"o, cool can you send it to me? i love spinach dip

It is very easy...the trick to making it taste good is getting the right balance of seasonings.  I don't measure so I have no clue how much I use.

1 10oz bag of frozen spinach. (you can use an equivalent amount of canned...but frozen looks and tastes better...plus you don't have to drain the frozen kind for this)
1 package of silken tofu (just use the same amount as would come in a box of cream cheese)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne and/or red pepper powder to taste.  I usually go heavy on the pepper and garlic and light on the salt.  A small amount of cayenne goes a long way.  If you can find it, jalapeno powder is great too.

Get a medium sized pot and dump the bag of spinach in it.  Heat on medium until it is unfrozen.  Add in the tofu and mix together.  Add in your spices.  Then just heat the mixture through.  

If you toss in some canned or cooked artichoke hearts it taste even better...but I usually leave them out since artichokes are kinda expensive canned and I use this recepie for a cheap and quick meal (yes, we use this as a meal more often than we do as an appetizer).

quizlixx

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "quizlixx"o, cool can you send it to me? i love spinach dip

It is very easy...the trick to making it taste good is getting the right balance of seasonings.  I don't measure so I have no clue how much I use.

1 10oz bag of frozen spinach. (you can use an equivalent amount of canned...but frozen looks and tastes better...plus you don't have to drain the frozen kind for this)
1 package of silken tofu (just use the same amount as would come in a box of cream cheese)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne and/or red pepper powder to taste.  I usually go heavy on the pepper and garlic and light on the salt.  A small amount of cayenne goes a long way.  If you can find it, jalapeno powder is great too.

Get a medium sized pot and dump the bag of spinach in it.  Heat on medium until it is unfrozen.  Add in the tofu and mix together.  Add in your spices.  Then just heat the mixture through.  

If you toss in some canned or cooked artichoke hearts it taste even better...but I usually leave them out since artichokes are kinda expensive canned and I use this recepie for a cheap and quick meal (yes, we use this as a meal more often than we do as an appetizer).
this recipe was great :lol:
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."