News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re-setting a password

Started by Sandra Craft, April 18, 2021, 03:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I'm having trouble signing in with my new computer because I haven't set a security question, but I can't set that on my old computer without giving my password, which I've forgotten.

I've gone thru every password I can remember but no dice, and I can't see a way to set a new password.  Help?
Sandy

  

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

Are you talking about resetting your HAF password?

If so, I believe an admin can set a new password for your HAF account. I suggest coming up with a temporary simple password and sharing it via PM with an admin. The admin can then set your account to use that temporary password, and you can proceed with setting the account to use your actual password.

Alternatively, your browser would have a record of the current password. The route to that depends on which browser you use, but it's a relatively simple task. Do a search for "viewing saved passwords in [your browser here]" for instructions. 

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to use the first alternative.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken


hermes2015

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 18, 2021, 03:38:54 AM
I'm having trouble signing in with my new computer because I haven't set a security question, but I can't set that on my old computer without giving my password, which I've forgotten.

I've gone thru every password I can remember but no dice, and I can't see a way to set a new password.  Help?

I see there is a utility called PCUnlocker that does the job, but I've never used it, so cannot recommend it. I suspect any decent PC repair shop will be able to bypass the Windows login for you with a similar app.

https://www.top-password.com/reset-windows-password.html
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken


xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on April 18, 2021, 10:02:58 AM
Are you talking about resetting your HAF password?

If so, I believe an admin can set a new password for your HAF account. I suggest coming up with a temporary simple password and sharing it via PM with an admin. The admin can then set your account to use that temporary password, and you can proceed with setting the account to use your actual password.

Alternatively, your browser would have a record of the current password. The route to that depends on which browser you use, but it's a relatively simple task. Do a search for "viewing saved passwords in [your browser here]" for instructions. 

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to use the first alternative.  :)

There is a simpler way, heh :grin:

Sandy, you can access the "Forgot your password?" function. To do that, you click on the "Login" button (the one above the HAF banner, not the green Login button on the right). That will take you to this page.  :thumbsup:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey


hermes2015

#5
I seemed to have misunderstood: I thought it was the Windows login password, not the HAF one.

Corrected my grammar!
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 18, 2021, 11:53:53 PM
There is a simpler way, heh :grin:

Sandy, you can access the "Forgot your password?" function. To do that, you click on the "Login" button (the one above the HAF banner, not the green Login button on the right). That will take you to this page.  :thumbsup:



Cool, and thank you!  :)

My luck with that function in the past colors my approach to the issue. It depends on remembering which email address you used to create the account.  :lol:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken


xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on April 19, 2021, 06:25:37 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 18, 2021, 11:53:53 PM
There is a simpler way, heh :grin:

Sandy, you can access the "Forgot your password?" function. To do that, you click on the "Login" button (the one above the HAF banner, not the green Login button on the right). That will take you to this page.  :thumbsup:



Cool, and thank you!  :)

My luck with that function in the past colors my approach to the issue. It depends on remembering which email address you used to create the account.  :lol:

:lol: True, that could complicate a simple solution.

(That's why I have no more than 4 email addresses.) :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey


Tank

I thought it was Sandy's computer password too.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Sandy

  

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 19, 2021, 10:48:20 PM
All sorted out, thank you!

Which password was the problem and which solution worked?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2021, 05:15:26 PM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 19, 2021, 10:48:20 PM
All sorted out, thank you!

Which password was the problem and which solution worked?

My old HAF password (whatever it was) and Res's first suggestion.
Sandy

  

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 20, 2021, 08:31:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2021, 05:15:26 PM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 19, 2021, 10:48:20 PM
All sorted out, thank you!

Which password was the problem and which solution worked?

My old HAF password (whatever it was) and Res's first suggestion.

Ooops. I thought you meant your main computer password not your HAF one! :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2021, 09:01:55 PM

Ooops. I thought you meant your main computer password not your HAF one! :rofl:

  :eyebrow:
Sandy

  

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany