News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Atheist author looking for a meeting of the minds.

Started by Lala, December 18, 2020, 02:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lala

Hey fellow skeptics, it's so nice to meet you. I'm here for a sense of community. I'm starving for it, to be honest.

I'm openly talking about being an atheist writer on social media and in real life now, and I'm starting to get a lot of blowback--some of it well meant but misplaced, and some outright hostile. People seem to be furious that I'm inserting atheistic themes into my novels, short stories, and poetry. I'm rather shocked about it. All I'm trying to do is write stories that reflect who I am as an atheist and a person. We all want to see ourselves represented culturally and artistically, right? Art doesn't belong to believers. It belongs to humanity as a whole, and in all the forms it expresses itself.

I live in Canada where 25% of Canadians identify as non-believers. What I didn't realize is that most of the writers' groups in my province seem to populated by middle-aged Christian women, and the meetings are held in churches. haha And they don't take kindly to atheistic stories. (I need to start an atheist writer group.) I hope the publishing industry is more in tune with readers wants and needs. We shall see. I mean, we live in the age of cancel culture, and publishing houses pay attention to the demands of social media influencers now. I am published traditionally, but not as an open atheist. My new novels could make or break me. We shall see.

Regardless, instead of stewing about it, I've decided to find my people--non believers, atheists, and agnositics. Because not only do I need to see my humanism and atheism modeled in my literature, I also need to see it in my community. And so many of us have gone underground, although there are a few skeptic rock stars on Twitter and Facebook. But we all can't command the respect of Richard Dawkins.

By the way, I try to make room for moderate believers in my 'inner sanctum', too. Most have been influenced by secular life and aren't so shocked by skepticism. But there is a loud and well organized group of evangelicals and fundmentalists who are trying to take social media hostage these days. And of course the cancel culture crew. Declaring you are atheist can get you labeled a bigot, or canceled. It's scary, especially if you are not well established in your field. Regardless, I try to make room for these folks, too, because we need to be able to talk to each other. It just can be hard to let them in close for obvious reasons.

Maybe i can learn some tips from you lovely folks on how best to navigate being atheist in a world that still dances to the rhythm of a wide range of religions. And most of those religions condemn people like you and me.

Well, that's my introduction. I guess I should end it by saying that it's so nice to meet you all, and i look forward to riveting and fun discussions and debates. 

hermes2015

Welcome to HAF, Lala. I think you will fit in well here and will soon feel part of our international family. This communuty shows that your fellow Canadian, Marshall McLuhan, was correct when he spoke of the global village, which is a good label for our group of friendly non-believers.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Lala

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 18, 2020, 03:19:16 AM
Welcome to HAF, Lala. I think you will fit in well here and will soon feel part of our international family. This communuty shows that your fellow Canadian, Marshall McLuhan, was correct when he spoke of the global village, which is a good label for our group of friendly non-believers.

Thank you so much. And yes, Marshall McLuhan was a great Canadian mind, one who caused a lot of teenage angst in high school. haha Sometimes you don't realize as a kid how tough lessons germinate and flower later in life. I'm glad the global village is still thriving.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Lala. I've never been a member of a writers' group. It's disappointing to hear that people who meet to share their writing can be so close-minded. If there's anyplace where open exploration of ideas (within reason) would be the norm, you'd think that a writers' group would be that place. On the other hand, maybe you live in Alberta.  ;)

I hope that you enjoy your time reading and posting here.  :blue smiley:

:animwelcome:

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Welcome to HAF Lala.

Polarisation and bigotry are becoming serious problems in the social media world, you're either in the 'in' group or out of it. I hope we can help you feel a lot less alienated here :)

Regards
Chris

EDIT: I've put some feelers out on FB.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Hi, Lala! Welcome to HAF! :wave hi:

It's sad to hear there is such a culture in artistic circles, especially when art should celebrate diversity and not just be another vehicle for propaganda e close-minded ideas (although it often is). Creativity should not be constrained by small-mindedness!  ;D

But, some people are just naturally more fearful than others, and in such a large global village that is the internet they seek control, I think, so their small worlds don't fall apart.  ::)  I don't believe that will ever change. :shrug:

Even so, the struggle to change things for the better continues, and what better way to to that than through art? :grin: 

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Thank you Canada,
You gave the world the greatest band ever, RUSH.
I also appreciate your gift of comedy, in the form of:
The Kids in the Hall.

Randy

Hi Lala. I just brewed some atheistic coffee and skepticism flavored creamer. Would you like some? Oh and welcome to the neighborhood.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Bluenose

G'day Lala, just thought I'd let you know your words have reached one of the two lands downunder. (NZ is the other one, but don't believe the Kiwis when they try to tell you they invented Pavlova)

I think you'll fit right in here.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

Welcome to the forum Lala.

If you explore the topic lists in this forum you will see that religion is not our biggest subject. Not even close. We are sufficiently comfortable with our position toward religion that it does not need much commentary.  On the other hand most of us will  be pleased to discuss those subjects with you, if you like.

I am usually attracted to sciency books like math, physics, anthropology, and such. Recently a friend gave me some popular books of fiction whose authors are Grisham, Connely, Grafton, Assimov, Clarke, and others. I have plowed through several of them and noticed that none of the authors give a rats ass (excuse me) for the delicate feelings of the evangelical crowd.  These authors make money.  They write without regard to the delicate sensitivities of the devout Jesus people who do not read much anyway.

You may be in a unique position wherein you have to cowtow to the locals. Perhaps you could write some things that please them for the good of the community. After all you are an author who has the liberty to begin with a blank page and fill it with locally pleasing text. Feel good stuff don't you know.

Meanwhile you could write some more realistic stuff that will be far more lucrative and appeal to a whole different demographic.  If that sounds sneaky or somehow dishonest then so be it. The people who are detractors do not own you.

This forum is characterized by rather well educated and sophisticated people who are most friendly toward honest members.  I must warn you that if you are a troll of some sort, you will be dismissed politely but with certainty.

Cheers.

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on December 18, 2020, 03:46:00 PM
Hi Lala. I just brewed some atheistic coffee and skepticism flavored creamer. Would you like some?
:lol:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Welcome, Lala.  I was wondering where Tank's feelers on FB were coming from.  I've heard of a lot of writing groups but never a specifically atheist/skeptic one, but I'm scouting around to see what I can find.

In the meantime, we do have a book club here (in the Media section) and are always on the look out for new members and/or suggestions on what to read next.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany