News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

This is what Believers think awaits them in Heaven

Started by MadBomr101, April 21, 2020, 04:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBomr101

Quote from: Drich on April 23, 2020, 04:55:31 PMAh... No.

Heaven is still and always will be the city of God. That is where the parties will be held and where the big ceremonies will go down. "we" (not you) "We" will live on earth with God/Christ for 1000 years. (which was cause for concern on the other heaven thread/what happens to my house/stuff)  upon which satan will get probation and released from hell, to tempt and cull those who maybe weren't 100% satisfied/bearly made it in. There will be one more great war, or in truth one more round up of satan and his followers which he will then be cast into hell for the last time to burn for ever and his followers destroyed by the same hell fire. Then God will recreate or relocate heaven and earth and we will start over with a new heaven and new earth.
(not that mnost of you need concern yourself with any of this) But from this point I believe because we will then be eternal and we have an eternal universe to explore we will get to do so, maybe in our own starships. if so dibs on "Enterprise."

You all need to get together and get your stories straight. This is your version of what the afterlife will be, the woman who can't wait to fly has her version, the woman who will pig out on that food made of light has her version and so on.

Why so much variation in these ideas, because it's made up in each individual's imagination. There's no reality to any of this so anything goes which means your notion of Heaven is no more valid than any other Xian. Make up whatever you like and more power to ya' .
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Recusant

Drich, I'm not being sarcastic when I say I think it's great that you want to take over for Captain Kirk in the next life. That's an admirable ambition.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MadBomr101

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 23, 2020, 05:47:23 PMIt's amazing how many people long for an eternal afterlife, yet don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Exactly. None of them seem to consider just how long eternity is and that nothing will entertain or engage them forever. Even if Heaven was an eternity of pizza, beer, and blowjobs from angels, after a hundred years of it, you'll be sick to death of pizza, beer, and blowjobs from angels.

- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Recusant

C'mon guys. If the Christian god can make people live forever, he can make them like it too.  :smokin cool:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MadBomr101

Quote from: Recusant on April 23, 2020, 05:59:56 PMC'mon guys. If the Christian god can make people live forever, he can make them like it too.  :smokin cool:

I guess he could make it a commandment. "Thou shalt live forever in Heaven and I don't want to hear any bitching that you're bored."
- Bomr

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

:lol: I guess that's where the know/love/fear thing comes from. It's like the "attaboys" and "awshits". You could have a thousand "attaboys', but one "awshit" wipes the slate clean, and there you are falling through the floor, en route to hell...which wasn't a described place in early xtianity. If one were bored, they could go read the history of the RCC. Pay special attention to the procession of popes. It's most amusing.

xSilverPhinx

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."

- Victor Hugo
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Old Seer

An Apostle states: The dead are conscious of nothing. Hell = Dead. JC descended into hell for 3 days = dead for 3 days. Death = non existence, same as before one was conceived. :)
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Davin

It's also weird how they think they know what happens after death without any credible evidence at all.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: MadBomr101 on April 23, 2020, 06:46:38 PM
Quote from: Recusant on April 23, 2020, 05:59:56 PMC'mon guys. If the Christian god can make people live forever, he can make them like it too.  :smokin cool:

I guess he could make it a commandment. "Thou shalt live forever in Heaven and I don't want to hear any bitching that you're bored."

I've heard believers say there is no such thing as boredom in Heaven. There is no sadness, frustration, hate or anger. Everything is positive, and there is eternal bliss.

That doesn't make sense to me. If I wanted to experience prolonged periods of bliss I would take drugs all day until I would need more and more and nothing else in the world would matter. I don't want to wake up after death and find myself living in a world much like the dystopian society of  Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World' where certain citizens basically did that. As a result, they were controlled.

As such, in Heaven there would be no meaning to life in Heaven other than to serve the particular god of your religion.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

The basic Christian version has the faithful getting rapturous pleasure while singing songs praising their god. For all eternity. I guess you have to be there.  :shrug:
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

...And yet them junkies tend to need ever-larger doses of their drug of choice to get that "perfect high."

I suppose given an eternity with an eternally-powerful being, it's possible to just increase the dosage ad infinitum, but then we are back to the stagnant, empty existence argument, with the added bonus of stagnation and emptiness setting in long before I run out of nameable zeros.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Asmodean on April 28, 2020, 08:08:04 AM
...And yet them junkies tend to need ever-larger doses of their drug of choice to get that "perfect high."

I suppose given an eternity with an eternally-powerful being, it's possible to just increase the dosage ad infinitum, but then we are back to the stagnant, empty existence argument, with the added bonus of stagnation and emptiness setting in long before I run out of nameable zeros.

Interesting. My 5-yr-old gdaughter picked up on the stagnation and emptiness using her limited vocabulary and then wanted to know, in that case, what was after heaven. I can't undermine her parents; I would have been incandescent if anyone had done that when mine were young. That's typical of the closed-minded and deluded attitude of Christianity and it breaks my heart now. I was caught early and it took me decades to fight my way out of the induced fear and empty promise of an afterlife. Heaven!!!???
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tank

Quote from: Essie Mae on April 28, 2020, 09:57:18 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 28, 2020, 08:08:04 AM

Interesting. My 5-yr-old gdaughter picked up on the stagnation and emptiness using her limited vocabulary and then wanted to know, in that case, what was after heaven. I can't undermine her parents; I would have been incandescent if anyone had done that when mine were young. That's typical of the closed-minded and deluded attitude of Christianity and it breaks my heart now. I was caught early and it took me decades to fight my way out of the induced fear and empty promise of an afterlife. Heaven!!!???

You really are between a rock and a hard place :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.