News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Woke up with a scare today!

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 12, 2018, 04:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

In the wee hours of the night, when it's still dark out and the stars are supposedly glowing (if it weren't for all the artificial light...) I woke with something falling on my leg. It fell and produced an almost sickly splat sound, much like the sound of a wet pancake falling on a marble floor.

My heart missed a beat as I opened my eyes in a split second. I quickly jumped from the bed and I felt something sliding towards my foot. I turned on the lights and looked under the bed. 

Guess what had fallen on my leg!

Hint: it was warm and relatively heavy.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

The bat went splat
As it caught you lying flat

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 12, 2018, 06:29:25 PM
The bat went splat

:deadpan: You're no fun, JJ! First person to reply gets it right?::)

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 12, 2018, 07:36:52 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on November 12, 2018, 06:29:25 PM
The bat went splat

:deadpan: You're no fun, JJ! First person to reply gets it right?::)

Sorry! You gave too many clues.. if you had said wings it might've been trickier, but warm gave it right away.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 12, 2018, 07:44:15 PM

It's adorable though. I'd be tempted to keep it. For about three hours as a teenager I had a pet bat.

xSilverPhinx

Heh, yeah, maybe I did give too many clues. :deadpan:

Anyway, you get some cookies for getting the answer right. :grin:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 12, 2018, 09:08:30 PM

It's adorable though. I'd be tempted to keep it. For about three hours as a teenager I had a pet bat.

Yes, it is adorable but I wasn't tempted. ;D After it had fallen onto the floor I put it in a bin basket turned upside down so it wouldn't escape and tried to go back to sleep so that when the sun rose I could let it go. I posted these pics in a Biologists' Facebook page for help identifying it and I'm told apparently it looks like an insectivore, which is another reason to release it so that it can continue eating nasty little critters. :grin:

There are a lot of nasty little critters at night. ::)

jumbojak

I hope you won't be too offended if I scrape the icing off. I love cookies and like icing but the two together is too much.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 12, 2018, 09:49:42 PM
I hope you won't be too offended if I scrape the icing off. I love cookies and like icing but the two together is too much.

No problem, JJ, no icing, no problem. :grin:

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 12, 2018, 09:49:06 PM

Yes, it is adorable but I wasn't tempted. ;D After it had fallen onto the floor I put it in a bin basket turned upside down so it wouldn't escape and tried to go back to sleep so that when the sun rose I could let it go. I posted these pics in a Biologists' Facebook page for help identifying it and I'm told apparently it looks like an insectivore, which is another reason to release it so that it can continue eating nasty little critters. :grin:

One thing to check now that I think about it,.. is there a bat colony somewhere inside your home? They find their way into openings and live in walls around here. The bats themselves would be unlikely to bother you but if a colony has tucked itself away the accumulation of guano can be cause for concern.

I do think it'd be cool to have a flock of bats (is flock the right word?) emerge en masse from the eaves just as the sun sets. :) We had lots of bats around the house I grew up in. One night my mom was taking sheets off the line, right at dark, and there was a bat hanging from the line under the sheet... it got caught in her hair when she pulled the sheet.

I laughed almost as hard as the day I set a rubber snake in the kitchen sink. She's deathly afraid of snakes. I was a TERRIBLE child!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 12, 2018, 09:58:33 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 12, 2018, 09:49:06 PM

One thing to check now that I think about it,.. is there a bat colony somewhere inside your home? They find their way into openings and live in walls around here. The bats themselves would be unlikely to bother you but if a colony has tucked itself away the accumulation of guano can be cause for concern.

I do think it'd be cool to have a flock of bats (is flock the right word?) emerge en masse from the eaves just as the sun sets. :) We had lots of bats around the house I grew up in. One night my mom was taking sheets off the line, right at dark, and there was a bat hanging from the line under the sheet... it got caught in her hair when she pulled the sheet.

I laughed almost as hard as the day I set a rubber snake in the kitchen sink. She's deathly afraid of snakes. I was a TERRIBLE child!

There could be, I don't know if all bats are social creatures but many are so where there's one there's likely more. I never heard any noises coming from the roof, or saw a bat inside my home before today so I don't know for sure. Might call someone to check it out.

I'm not afraid of bats, but you're right, their feces are a cause for concern. When Count Vladislaus Dragulia was in the bin basket it pooped a lot, and its poop looked a lot like little droppings that appear on the floor every now and then. At first, I thought those were gecko poop (we have a healthy gecko population inside our house ;D ) but now that I've seen what bat poop looks like I'm not so sure.   

Oh JJ...your poor mother!  ;D

jumbojak

Like geckos just wandering around the house? That's weird and awesome!