News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Some of My Arts and Crafts

Started by Dark Lightning, September 21, 2018, 12:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Dave on September 25, 2018, 03:44:59 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 25, 2018, 03:27:37 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 25, 2018, 12:34:51 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 25, 2018, 12:33:28 PM
It's a 1/4 scale at 6' 6"!!!
It's half scale at 6'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-120_AMRAAM

That's what I get for believing the guy who sold me the kit!  :-[ I stand corrected.

Kit? Kit!

You mean you didn't hew it by hand, and with the sweat of your brow, from raw materials?

Tsk, you'll be painting by numbers next . . .

:sadshake:

(Was it a scrap job on landing or did it have a decent parachute system? I fitted a parachute release system to a tripled firework rocket when I was still at school - had to drill a hole through the top of one and pass a string through that which held on a spring loaded 'nose cone' containing the parachute (made from genuine surplus parachute material for me by my mum). Problem was  one rocket burned longer, the 'chute dragged behind and got melted! Belatedly thought up a delay mechanism (involving 'Jetex' fuse) but had no more rockets)

You have to meet certain parameters with the rocket to get the cert. That kit was $180 and the motor casings were about $80. Then there's the propellant charge that the maiden flight used. That was just under $40. I got out of the hobby because where I live I have to drive about 150 miles for a pace to launch.

It has a 6 foot diameter parachute, so it's reusable. It hangs from some hooks in the garage, now. It gets some puzzled looks and comments. I haven't flown it since '07, but can't bear to throw it out.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 25, 2018, 02:11:05 AM
Thanks, guys!  :D I have done a lot of woodworking and metal working over the years, but my camera skills basically just suck channel water. I've had people bag on me at woodworking websites about not publishing projects, but it's the camera (in)capability that caused that. I now have a cell phone with stabilization and stuff that helps me take pretty good pictures. Since there is some interest, I will take more and post them! :D I was also into high power rocketry for a while. Here's a piccie of the certification (for me as a Level 1 High Power rocket user- have to have the cert to buy motors) flight. It's a 1/4 scale model of an AIM-120D AMRAAM "Slammer" rocket. AMRAAM meaning Advanced Medium Range Air to Air Missile. Picture taken by some guy in the club whose cameras skillz were orders of magnitude better than mine. It's about 6'-6" long.

Whoa! Should we be worried? :P :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2018, 12:09:26 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 25, 2018, 02:11:05 AM
Thanks, guys!  :D I have done a lot of woodworking and metal working over the years, but my camera skills basically just suck channel water. I've had people bag on me at woodworking websites about not publishing projects, but it's the camera (in)capability that caused that. I now have a cell phone with stabilization and stuff that helps me take pretty good pictures. Since there is some interest, I will take more and post them! :D I was also into high power rocketry for a while. Here's a piccie of the certification (for me as a Level 1 High Power rocket user- have to have the cert to buy motors) flight. It's a 1/4 scale model of an AIM-120D AMRAAM "Slammer" rocket. AMRAAM meaning Advanced Medium Range Air to Air Missile. Picture taken by some guy in the club whose cameras skillz were orders of magnitude better than mine. It's about 6'-6" long.

Whoa! Should we be worried? :P :grin:

True story- some Hollywood producer approached our user group on gmail to make some rockets that would do zany stuff. We ALL turned him down. Rocketry lives on a tenuous thread in the US and probably elsewhere because of the perceived danger. We launch out in the middle of nowhere, have to get fire authority and landowner permission, and have to carry $2M worth of insurance. Nobody wants to jeopardize that, because the claimants go after your homeowner's insurance first. The "payload" in that rocket was a parachute. One even has to have a license to purchase the propellant, though there is an experimental group that makes their own. I wouldn't go near those folks with an 11-foot pole. Don't have to worry about, me, I'm just a harmless old man.  ::) Now, when I was young, especially in my teenage years...the Lightning family had a bit of rep. If you had a fence that needed tearing down, for instance, one of my brothers and I were the go-to people.  ;D Now, immigrant workers have all those jobs and the puffy Stay-Puft rich white boys hire them, instead. I and my sons did all the work around our house for two reasons- 1. I wanted to make sure that they understood that brown people aren't the only ones who have to do physical labor. I see too much of that attitude. 2. We were poor and had to.

Dave

Perhaps I am just too British but, thinking of an idea and wanting to know more about patinating copper, I looked on Youtube.

I was out off by this man within seconds.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 25, 2018, 03:27:37 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 25, 2018, 12:34:51 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 25, 2018, 12:33:28 PM
It's a 1/4 scale at 6' 6"!!!
It's half scale at 6'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-120_AMRAAM

That's what I get for believing the guy who sold me the kit!  :-[ I stand corrected.

Well when you said 1/4 and 6' 6" I thought 'That's 26ft! That's fucking big!' so I had a look. :D I'm OCD like that.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 26, 2018, 10:19:59 AM
Perhaps I am just too British but, thinking of an idea and wanting to know more about patinating copper, I looked on Youtube.
I was out off by this man within seconds.

Me to, from the first time he called it a "pateena".
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

My learning of the word, it is pronounced with a long e sound in the second syllable- pa-TEE-na. I guess that's a US thing. I see two pronunciations on the Wiki page. That guy isn't really going it right, either. And that vaping affectation is annoying.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 26, 2018, 03:30:46 PM
My learning of the word, it is pronounced with a long e sound in the second syllable- pa-TEE-na. I guess that's a US thing. I see two pronunciations on the Wiki page. That guy isn't really going it right, either. And that vaping affectation is annoying.

Yes, I also looked it up after and saw that it is an alternative pronunciation. It just sounded odd when I heard him say it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

I have always used as in 'teen', but no dwell on the 'e',. Have heard it is in 'tin', never as in 'tyne'

Though the latter may be 'Strine!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 26, 2018, 03:57:10 PM
I have always used as in 'teen', but no dwell on the 'e',. Have heard it is in 'tin', never as in 'tyne'

Though the latter may be 'Strine!

I can remember my mother telling me that the stress was heavily on the first a, so that's how I've always pronounced it. But then she also told me that spirits and beer should never be served with a meal (except when eating curry). Only wine and water allowed!
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Different strokes, eh? Did that water get changed into wine during those dinners?  :D

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 27, 2018, 01:10:16 AM
Different strokes, eh? Did that water get changed into wine during those dinners?  :D

:rofl:

Luckily she was also very irreligious, so that trick was never attempted.
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

OK, here's a pic of the oak clam shell carving in progress, as requested. I have some more shaping to do, then I'll carve the channels. I'm using oak as I have a fair supply of it and I think that the grain may contribute to look of the thing when done. If it's too much "character" I'll simply fill the grain and make it relatively smooth.

Tank

Lovely use of material and tools.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

That's a good start. Please post more as it progresses.
― Charles Eames