News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Christianity = Repressive? (Split Topic)

Started by Court, July 27, 2006, 03:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Court

Quote from: "onlyme"
Quote from: "Court"Christianity is one of the most depressingly repressive religions out there. I feel sorry for people who try to be "good christians."

court, surely you have heard about how muslims treat their women and lawbreakers.  That is more repressive than Christianity.

Hello, I said "one of." Islam's definitely up there, as well.
And Christianity is just as repressive.

Quote from: "onlyme"As for repressive, well, to be honest, I think that in Christianity, 90 percent of the battle is within ourselves, that is, directed at controlling our own selfish desires rather than imposing such views on the world.
First of all, christianity does try to impose its moral views on the world. Let's think about anti-abortionists protesting and harassing patients. Let's think about the religious right fighting tooth and nail to teach our children ignorance with abstinence-based sex ed programs. It's simply a lie to say that christians are not trying to impose their false morals on the world. A lie.
Secondly, that's the problem with christians! They are voluntary repressing themselves! It's ridiculous. Why would god give you natural human desires and then expect you to "battle" them all of the time?
And, so we're on the same page, please tell me exactly what you're talking about when you say "our selfish desires." Like, sex and lying? What sins to you place under that label?

Quote from: "onlyme"It may be difficult for us to try and control our own selfish urges and desires, etc, but it's generally for the benefit of society at large.  This relates to other postings I've made, for example, single parent families, paedophilia, and other things.
I simply am astounded that you group single parent families with pedophilia. Astounded.
Anyway, again, I would like for you to elaborate what you mean exactly by "selfish desires and urges." What things does christianity forbid that you want to do anyway (but, through a test of willpower, I guess, you overcome)? I'd like a list of what you think are the worse sins that battled within oneself.

Quote from: "onlyme"All I'm saying is that sometimes we need to keep ourselves in check for the good of others, rather than being a 'me, me' generation which seeks only our own fulfilment, and to hell with the rest.
I guess I can't really respond to this until I know exactly what sins you mean, because I'm not sure what you mean by "keeping ourselves in check"....
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Big Mac

onlyme, my mother had to raise me when my parents divorced (after years of fighting, seperations, and things being thrown by both parties) and then roughly a year after the divorce my father died in a car accident. How does my mother being a single-parent fit in the same category as a pedophile? This right here has pissed me off. And usually I acknowledge you are trying.
onlyme, my mother had to raise me when my parents divorced (after years of fighting, seperations, and things being thrown by both parties) and then roughly a year after the divorce my father died in a car accident. How does my mother being a single-parent fit in the same category as a pedophile? This right here has pissed me off. And usually I acknowledge you are trying.onlyme, my mother had to raise me when my parents divorced (after years of fighting, seperations, and things being thrown by both parties) and then roughly a year after the divorce my father died in a car accident. How does my mother being a single-parent fit in the same category as a pedophile? This right here has pissed me off. And usually I acknowledge you are trying.

Switch to KILL!
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

iplaw

Quotechristianity does try to impose its moral views on the world.
Christianity doesn't Christians do; an important distinction.

Jassman

Quote from: "iplaw"Christianity doesn't Christians do; an important distinction.

But Christianity does advocate proselytizing people of other religions/people without religion. There are many Bible verses that prove this.

So the Christians who push their views on others are just following what their holy book tells them really.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Court

Onlyme missed that I started a new thread, and responded on the old one, so I'm copying his response to me here:

As for Christians 'imposing' their moral values on the world - as I said, the main thrust of our lives should be centered on 'ourselves' rather than others.

I don't group paedophilia with single parent familes. All I'm saying is that we sometimes have to abandon our own selfish attitudes, in favour of the greater good, whether it be paedophilia (selfish), or single parent families (abdicating our responsibilities to our childrend, in order to pursue our own selfish, pleasure-seeking agenda)

I know a lot of single parent familes do a great job. My daughter is one of them. I just wish that the father had made a commitment in the first place to his child, which he doesn't. My grandson is a real person who misses his 'dad'. What is wrong with people that they can get a girl pregnant, and then not care about either her, or the welfare of their child. That is an abdication of responsibility in my opinion. Or should we side with the 'father', and 'his' human rights, above the rights of the children that they produce. I hope that common sense, and not selfishness, would prevail in this situation, among thinking people.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Court

Personally, onlyme, I think I would have been better off if my father had abandoned his responsibility and run off on my mother. Some people are simply not meant for that sort of responsibility, and hanging around will probably only hinder the child from developing normally.

Not only that, but you are assuming that all single parent families exist because of irresponsible sex, which simply isn't true. Honestly, I wouldn't exist (and neither would my "sinful" single-parent family) if my mother hadn't gone to a private christian high school and college. She didn't learn about birth control, so she had me. Who's at fault in that situation?
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Big Mac

Quote from: "Jassman"
Quote from: "iplaw"Christianity doesn't Christians do; an important distinction.

But Christianity does advocate proselytizing people of other religions/people without religion. There are many Bible verses that prove this.

So the Christians who push their views on others are just following what their holy book tells them really.

What he said. Jesus even tells the apostles at the end when he is ascending into heaven to go forth and spread the news to all nations and kings and peasants of his glory. So yes, they are being Good Christians when they are pushing their views.

Court

Quote from: "Big Mac"What he said. Jesus even tells the apostles at the end when he is ascending into heaven to go forth and spread the news to all nations and kings and peasants of his glory. So yes, they are being Good Christians when they are pushing their views.

Too bad their views are screwed up and ridiculous.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

iplaw

QuoteBut Christianity does advocate proselytizing people of other religions/people without religion. There are many Bible verses that prove this.
Many people proselytize for many causes, as many here proselytize for atheism.  I think you folks have confused proselytizing with imposition of views; two different things.  Scripture encourages haring views not imposition of views.  Please point to me where Christ implored me to impose my belief on someone else in contradistinction with sharing my faith.

iplaw

QuoteToo bad their views are screwed up and ridiculous.
Court.  This board started off to be a great place where both sides could exchange ideas without being branded with descriptions.  I respect your right to your belief and would never call your ideas foolish or screwed up no matter how I felt about them.  Arguments here are getting to be a little hyperbolistic for me.

Big Mac

Quote from: "Court"
Quote from: "Big Mac"What he said. Jesus even tells the apostles at the end when he is ascending into heaven to go forth and spread the news to all nations and kings and peasants of his glory. So yes, they are being Good Christians when they are pushing their views.

Too bad their views are screwed up and ridiculous.

Hey, woman, you need to keep quiet because it says in the Good Book for women to be silent in the churches. A man tells you to do something, and you and your baby cave better do it if you know what's good for you! Hyuck!

Hahahahaa.

Court

It's difficult to debate with you, iplaw, because you, unlike most christians, are more concerned with Jesus's teaching and not the whole bible. I could tell you Deuteronomy 13:6-10 tells you to stone those who try to proselytize to you, but I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't say it. :)
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Court

Quote from: "iplaw"
QuoteToo bad their views are screwed up and ridiculous.
Court.  This board started off to be a great place where both sides could exchange ideas without being branded with descriptions.  I respect your right to your belief and would never call your ideas foolish or screwed up no matter how I felt about them.  Arguments here are getting to be a little hyperbolistic for me.

Okay, I apologize. I retract my statement. :)
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

iplaw

Court, I like you too much to even argue with you about anything anymore.  I think we pretty much know where each other stand on most things and I respect you for your pursuit of truth so...there we have it.

Court

Quote from: "iplaw"Court, I like you too much to even argue with you about anything anymore.  I think we pretty much know where each other stand on most things and I respect you for your pursuit of truth so...there we have it.

:)
Thank you, though.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]