News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Started by Huxley, July 23, 2006, 10:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huxley

It's an honest first attempt I think. it seems to borrow a lot from "The God who wasn't there" but not in an intentional way (I think)

Imrational even sounds and uses the same inflections as Fleming (God who wasn't..) but as a first attempt (if it is so) it is commendable. The danger is, I think, that when you attempt to critically attack the burble, I think some of the dimmer christians take this as some confirmation that the burble is real, so the criticism is (wilfully) sidestepped.

Whitney

Quote from: "Huxley"I think some of the dimmer christians take this as some confirmation that the burble is real, so the criticism is (wilfully) sidestepped.

Right, the same ones who will quote end times prophecy about people trying to lead them away from christ.  Most of that type are too lost in their own self-delusion to see the world from any other viewpoint.

Big Mac

I'm glad I've  NEVER ( ;) ) met those people!!
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

iplaw

Speaking of "The God who wasn't there"... for anyone interested, here is an interesting rebuttal of the film.  There is also another reubttal from Holding in the link below it.  Holding is a little over the top for me most of the time, but it's an interesting read nevertheless.

http://www.answeringinfidels.com/index. ... view&id=87

http://www.tektonics.org/gk/godthere.html

Big Mac

Half of the article is ripping on how they filmed it. I find it funny because to me that's a sort of ad homminem, isn't it?

iplaw

Haven't read the whole response yet, but it seems as if only the first couple of paragraphs critique the film quality and it's quite a long response.  I agree it has nothing to do with the substance, but maybe the writer is a film buff, who knows.  Personally I don't don't care what either side has to say but I thought another point of view wouldn't hurt.  I thought the characterization of the film as the "Ishtar" of atheism was kinda funny though.

Whitney

I have heard from a lot of people (other atheists) that the god who wasn't there movie was poorly produced and didn't really make a good argument.  That along with not being very pleased with the producer's evangelical atheist tactics (I know atheists can't really be evangelical, but that's the best word I can think of to describe how they approach anti-theism)...I don't want to spend money to watch the movie.

Asmodean Prime

I admit that there are lots of things I don't understand in the bible, that doesn't stop me believing in the central tenets of the Christian faith, though.  As St. Paul said, "we see through a glass, darkly.  Now we know in part, then we shall know in full."

I believe that Jesus is God's son.   That's the main message in my opinion.  Also, atheists in my opinion always seem to focus on what they see as the bad things regarding the bible and Christian faith.  There are equally many good things that we are taught and encouraged to follow in the bible.   I'm not saying we should just take the good and reject the bad, I'm saying that for some things, we will have to wait for an explanation, just as some of you on this forum have said regarding science explaining creation, etc, that just because science doesn't have the answers now, maybe it will one day.

Well, I also say that (Christians) will have to wait for a fuller understanding on some things one day.  Remember that my viewpoint is equally as valid as yours in light of this.

Whitney

I've read the bible...Part 2 Moses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxkLyNxbc9M

Big Mac

THat one was pretty good, though that brings up a good point. A week without water in the desert will kill your in a matter of half a day or so.

Asmodean Prime

Ah,  how little you know, Tex-mex.

Big Mac

Oh? I want you to come down to El Paso Texas and live in the desert without water for a week. I'm not sure you English people comprehend, it gets really fucking hot in Texas and the south. You can't have a drop of water when you're in the desert. I bet you won't last past lunch.

Asmodean Prime

A WEEK without water will kill you in HALF A DAY or so?

Ok, I'm willing to overlook this little inconsistency for now.

Where do you get your quotes from, the Road Runner?  That is a cartoon, by the way. . . beep beep

imrational

Quote from: "laetusatheos"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6XlmVZG7sk

A video by imrational (probably the same person who is a member here, but I don't know for sure)
Yup, it's me!  Thanks for posting my video here.  I really appreciated some honest and open feedback.

Yeah, I know it's a little slow in parts.  I haven't watched much television over the last 12 or so years and I'm not used to the rapid fire cuts and clips that people now expect.  I'm trying to get better at it.  One further problem I had was that I hadn't found much art work when I did the first video.  I found some online art galleries, so it's getting easier.

As to beating a dead horse... you're right.  I made these primarily for Christians.  I wanted to start with the current perception of the bible they typically have.  I would love to do a series about how christianity has evolved over the centuries and incorporated other myths and legends along the way... but it would be hard to do in less than 10 minute blocks and probably a little dry too.

I would like to say that I really appreciated your honest and critical comments.  Seriously.  They're much more valuable than a token "good job".

Quote from: "Huxley"It's an honest first attempt I think. it seems to borrow a lot from "The God who wasn't there" but not in an intentional way (I think)

Imrational even sounds and uses the same inflections as Fleming (God who wasn't..) but as a first attempt (if it is so) it is commendable.
Thanks for the complement.  You're the second person who's commented that I sounded like Mr. Fleming and that the video resembled his.  

That's interesting.  I have yet to see his video!  I've been wanting to, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Big Mac

Quote from: "onlyme"A WEEK without water will kill you in HALF A DAY or so?

Ok, I'm willing to overlook this little inconsistency for now.

Where do you get your quotes from, the Road Runner?  That is a cartoon, by the way. . . beep beep

Er, okay that was phrased weird I meant to say, if you were to try and go a week without water, it'll most likelye kill you about half-a-day into it. I'm sorry if I'm not so great and perfect like you, Messiah Maniac.