News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

I made a pro-atheist thread on a heathcare group on facebook

Started by Ellainix, March 23, 2010, 06:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

skwurll

Hehe, maybe you should argue how homophobic and bigoted the bible is.

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

theTwiz

I added you as a friend on FB.  I wasn't going to mention this on here but remembered that my facebook short name is the same as on here.  oh well, so much for keeping my irl id and internet id seperate :/
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

kelltrill

Wow, that thread as become pretty intense. I've joined the group just to participate in the argument later if I think of something to say that hasn't already been said.
I deactivated my FB account a while back and only have a small fake one under the name Hugh Mann at the mo :)
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

pinkocommie

Quote from: "kelltrill"Wow, that thread as become pretty intense. I've joined the group just to participate in the argument later if I think of something to say that hasn't already been said.
I deactivated my FB account a while back and only have a small fake one under the name Hugh Mann at the mo :)

I've never thought of making a fake one, brilliant!  I have been receiving a bit of peer pressure to start a FB but there's a part of me that just wants to avoid all the turmoil and weirdness that I read about from people who have one.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

kelltrill

Omg, I want to rip my hair out. I've spent my entire evening arguing back and forth in this topic and in the Pray for an Atheist group. I can't take the blind denialism, arrogant self-righteousness, or subdued, patronising conversations anymore. I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. What's the point of debating this is no one is ever going to concede their point.

/disillusioned
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

elliebean

Someone more knowledgeable and capable than I should create an application for FB that measures, in real time, the effectiveness of the Pray for an Atheist group by tracking all resulting conversions of atheists being prayed for. It shouldn't be that hard to create; the meter would only have to go up to zero.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Ellainix

QuoteCheck out Kent Hovind's theories http://freehovind.com/download
yes theories, but he can admit his are. Today's modern science have abandoned what can be tested and observed and have brought themselves into the realm of science fiction.

These same people believe in astronomy and draw pictures to what they believe the milky way looks a certain way and how far a star is. Trigonometry is calculation that works and has been observed. When they try to use this to judge distance their percentage of error is immense!

Geology has nothing as a constant to base their scale of carbon dating on. Also carbon dating has to rely on a constant that does not exist. There would be far more oil deposits, saltier water, animals shown in some mutation that is beneficial, Niagara falls would be gone and the delta in Louisiana would be bigger.

The Big Bang does not explain much, it does not explain how some planets rotate opposite directions. All planets coming from a common place would ALL rotate in only one direction.

I am a former design engineer that sweated over getting complex machines designed to do the simplest talk and how much effort it took. To say that even a small ant , so complex in its makeup to be random chance is ridiculous. Let alone the Human body and all its systems and for us to evolve is to strange.

Think it out which evolved first for us, the lungs, the heart, the brain, the liver, the stomach. How could they function without the other? At one point evolution says that it had no use at one point.
Kind of like some arrogant doctors say we have no use for our appendix.

Lastly faith is something that falls into places like bravery and love and compassion. These traits of "non-sense" are what has brought the most noblest of ideas and actions in human history. Science brings no hope, peace or love, let alone faith. These traits are what drives us to be better than the previous day. These are the traits that make existence worth existence.

This thread, Then page 19.

Anyone want to help me tear this argument apart? While I am certain they are all wrong, justifying it sounds challenging. I'm just hoping a few of you have some quick sources so that I don't have to grovel all the pseudoscience through Google.

Sophus

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Ellainix