George Floyd

Started by Magdalena, May 31, 2020, 02:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

I just wanted to share this with everyone:

Quote1 hr 14 min ago
Los Angeles mayor implements 8 p.m. curfew
From CNN's Julia Jones

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced the city will have a curfew beginning at 8 p.m. Saturday until 5 a.m. Sunday.

"To increase safety for demonstrators, law enforcement, and all citizens of Los Angeles, we are putting a curfew in place from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.," the mayor tweeted.

Could this topic, have its own space?
Please.
(George Floyd.)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

the police murdered a man and now are inciting riots nationwide.

what do you do when the cops are the criminalz?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on May 31, 2020, 04:26:37 AM

Just a question. How are the police inciting riots or are the riots simply a reaction to the murder?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Mags. I have merged your post with Billy's.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on May 31, 2020, 08:36:32 AM

Just a question. How are the police inciting riots or are the riots simply a reaction to the murder?

the american police are actively attacking peaceful protesters and people standing on their front porches.

police are singling out and  shooting photographers, including television newscrews live, on th eair, with rubber bullets and arrests.

police are driving by groups of citizens simply standing on the sidewalk and pepper spraying them as they pass.

a few bad police officers were accused of brutality and murder, which started this mess. now th emain body of american law enforcement is demonstrating that the problem is systemic

https://imgur.com/gallery/gkteLds

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8373001/Journalist-left-blind-one-eye-shot-rubber-bullet-Minneapolis-protest.html

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/05/us-rep-joyce-beatty-other-politicians-pepper-sprayed-by-columbus-police-during-protest.html

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on May 31, 2020, 01:45:21 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 31, 2020, 08:36:32 AM

the american police are actively attacking peaceful protesters and people standing on their front porches.

police are singling out and  shooting photographers, including television newscrews live, on th eair, with rubber bullets and arrests.

police are driving by groups of citizens simply standing on the sidewalk and pepper spraying them as they pass.

a few bad police officers were accused of brutality and murder, which started this mess. now th emain body of american law enforcement is demonstrating that the problem is systemic

https://imgur.com/gallery/gkteLds

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8373001/Journalist-left-blind-one-eye-shot-rubber-bullet-Minneapolis-protest.html

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/05/us-rep-joyce-beatty-other-politicians-pepper-sprayed-by-columbus-police-during-protest.html

Thanks for the background.

billy rubin

herez some more

more than one city

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on May 31, 2020, 09:17:13 AM
Mags. I have merged your post with Billy's.
Thank you, Tank, but I believe this whole conversation started here:
https://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=724.msg402210#msg402210

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

more and more images are being posted online of riot police with electrical tape over their badge numbers to prevent identification.

i have heard of but have not seen images of the police with their body cams covered as well.

Icarus

One cop whose, judgement failed him, lit the fuse. Before that a a few cops murdered a woman in her own bed...........they had a reason to do so........as the story goes.  The cop in Ferguson Missouri claimed to have a reason to shoot the kid....maybe he had ample reason, maybe not.  And the beat goes on. 

Let us step back a few paces and calmly consider the whole situation.  For starters, most of the cops are not rogues with a superiority complex.  A few of them are prone to over react and do stupid things. 

The black community has a legitimate grievance that extends back 400 years or so.  They are justified in staging vigorous protests.  Most of the protesting people are not being destructive, anarchistic, or criminally motivated.  Unfortunately there are some who do fit those descriptions.  To make matters worse, there are more than a few white supremacist outfits who have traveled to the areas of unrest for the purpose of antagonizing the situation.  How is it that numerous groups of Bubba types have found it necessary to form armed posses equipped with confederate flags and a stupidly worn attitude?   

Cut the cops some slack.  Can we even imagine the difficulty of the job that they are trying to do?  What do you do when a mob becomes destructive, even murderous. If I am a shop owner, struggling to make a living, and an unidentified thug torches my place, am I justified in becoming angry, vengeful?  Will I thereafter hold a grudge against black people?  Did the destruction of my life's work help the cause of the downtrodden and shamefully treated black community? 

The mobs are making matters worse for themselves, not better.  The peaceful but determined demonstrators would do themselves a favor by kicking the shit out of the looters and destroyers.  They have shown only a few instances for the common sense that would have them protect their own neighborhoods and businesses.  Then who the hell is to be charged with the responsibility of gaining civilized control of the neighborhood or city?  Well there are the cops who have been charged with that responsibility. That is a substantial part of our reason for our having hired them, wouldn't you say?

When the cops are overwhelmed and we are forced to call out the National Guard we are in deep trouble. 

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Governor Cuomo has it nailed.  Look at this vid, see if you agree...........it is a short one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc7JPEOIkjs

Recusant

There has been looting and arson, yes. That is not all this is about though.

There are people who are peacefully protesting a systemic problem with police abusing their power, and the reaction from police has provided more examples of abuse of their power.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

Humans suck! It's just that simple.

Tom62

The USA has a severe police problem, which needs to be fixed. Maybe it is because of their education, training or funding; maybe it is because there is a police militarisation trend; or maybe it because of lack of responsibility, I don't know. Fact is that, in comparison with for example Germany or the Netherlands, law enforcement in the US seems to be more aggressive, badly trained to handle escalations and far more eager to draw their guns. I must however say that it is rather unlikely that the police here has to deal with people with guns, so I can understand that the police in the USA could are more nervous and fearful in the USA.  Yes there are some pretty bad cops out there. We have them here as well. However, I'm pretty sure that most cops in the world abhor what had happened to George Floyd.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein