News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Useful links

Started by Dave, May 02, 2017, 06:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

I like that website Dave. I used it a lot awhile back for philosophy logic and aztec history. Cool stuff.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Essie Mae

My GCSE maths students used to like it a lot precisely because the examples were so straightforward and without accompanying razzmatazz.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

(Almost?) everything you wanted to know about water:

The USGS Water Science School

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Here is a facility that is thoroughly distressing to those who may embrace some fiscal responsibility.  Take a look at ....USdebtclock.org.   Note the tag  .org not the usual .com. 

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on February 17, 2019, 12:51:11 AM
Here is a facility that is thoroughly distressing to those who may embrace some fiscal responsibility.  Take a look at ....USdebtclock.org.   Note the tag  .org not the usual .com. 

Never seen anything like it. Sobering. Especially those without insurance.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Icarus

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Icarus on March 14, 2020, 04:50:06 AM
Worth reading. Disinfecting 101  https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/isopropyl-alcohol-percent-disinfecting-36723904?utm_source=pocket-newtab

That is interesting, I bought 5 litres of 99% Isopropyl a while back for $15 on Amazon, I'd paid $7 for a little little bottle years ago.  You can dilute and clean lcd screens, you can use it in a fuel stove, clean electrical stuff, lenses, specs

I use this kind of stuff, the bottle I've got says add 30ml to a litre of water in a spray bottle and you're not supposed to add more, it is less effective.  It's very popular with home brewers.  I've thought about using it on salad vegies.

QuoteOur favorite sanitizer! Star San is an acid-based no-rinse sanitizer that is effective and easy to use.

Made from food-grade phosphoric acid, safe for people and the environment.
    Star San is self-foaming, which helps it to penetrate cracks and crevices.
    Odorless and flavorless, no need to worry about tainting your beer or wine.
    Does not require rinsing when used at the recommended dilution.
    Use only 1 oz Star San per 5 gallons of water and just 1 to 2 minutes of contact time.
    Used as a soaking solution, it can also be applied by hand (wear gloves) or with a spray bottle.
    Reusable: a solution of Star San will remain effective for up to three to four weeks in a sealed container; it is effective as long as the pH is 3 or lower.   

It is a sanitiser, it doesn't kill everything.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

I was amazed and dismayed when I went to a chemist's shop (pharmacy) in the UK, and looked for isopropyl alcohol, but didn't find it. I asked the people in the shop where they kept it, and they didn't know what I was talking about, even under the name "rubbing alcohol". I suppose the pharmacist wasn't in at the time, because surely they would at least be aware of it.

They have something called "surgical spirit" which usually doesn't contain isopropyl at all (it's mostly denatured ethyl alcohol with some added ingredients) but is, I think, as effective for sterilisation. I didn't want the added ingredients. I later discovered that if you want isopropyl alcohol through a retail supplier in the UK, you're more likely to find it in a shop that sells electronic equipment and components.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Atlantic magazine has often had articles that explore the mechanisms of the human condition.  Atlantic is semi famous for allowing their articles to be painfully long.  The following article is typical of that trait.  The article is also a useful one that is important to us all.  It is a thorough explanation of why we have so severely fucked up our response to the Corona virus.

We have a quarter of the worlds fatalities while having only one twenty fifth of the worlds population.  I am sick because the virus and our collective behavior has become abusively political.................and stupid.

Read this if you can find the time..............https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/how-white-house-coronavirus-response-went-wrong/613591/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Icarus

Recent studies have affirmed what we already knew intuitively; Males who are conditioned to believe themselves super macho, are the ones who are least likely to wear masks.  Statistically they are also the most likely to contract the cursed Covid infection. How could that happen?    :nanana

Another recent study has shown that the male victims of the virus are prime candidates to develop ED. Ha! How appropriate a thing to happen to the super studs who believe themselves to be too virile to contract a sissy disease like Corona virus. 

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/covid-erectile-dysfunction?did=588363-20201210&utm_campaign=hth-thedaily3_newsletter&utm_source=health.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=121020&cid=588363&mid=46479594563

P.S.  These dudes are, statistically,  most likely to be Trump voters and gun enthusiasts. Amazing! 

No one

No one

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant