News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Things You Would Tell Your Younger Self

Started by xSilverPhinx, December 14, 2018, 02:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

If you could tell your past self something, whether it be some advice, a warning, a compliment or even some criticism, what would it be?

I would make sure I understood not to take anything for granted as soon as I was old enough to understand this.

I would reassure my 17-year-old self that even though it seemed like the world was about to end after my parent's divorced each other and fought over everything (I was close to both of them), things will get better.

I would advise my 21-year-old self to be more vigilant, that there are sick people who would try to destroy me but never did and never will. Being in the clutches of such monstrous people would induce despair, as they wanted it to, but I am a survivor -- something they didn't count on.

Of course there are many more as my whole life I've been trying to learn from my mistakes -- and the mistakes of others.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I would say, "You are not nearly as clever as you think you are."

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

Tank

14 years old. Do Chemistry not Music. Then do science!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on December 14, 2018, 02:34:26 AM
I would say, "You are not nearly as clever as you think you are."

I think that's a universal truth of the teenager :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Buy Bitcoin for a dollar, sell for ten thousand. :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

I have to console myself when I think of some of the foolish decisions, and dismissed opportunities I had in my youth.  I have learned that self criticism is useful  but that self flagellation is not productive, and certainly not comfort making. 

We must not necessarily forgive ourselves for the dumb shit that we did but we had better not let it define our psyche either.  So we made some mistakes...........I made aplenty of them and there were some behaviors  that I am not proud of.  I/we should understand that poor judgements at the age of 17 are not the judgements we will make today.  Silver can tell us that brains do not develop fully until we are 24, 26, or more. 

I have some regrets but I refuse to let those regrets drive my destiny.   This from a guy who has been there, done that, for damned close to a century.

Tom62

I'd say "Don't spend so much time behind your computer. Go out, meet some new friends and have fun".
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on December 15, 2018, 01:32:10 AM
I have to console myself when I think of some of the foolish decisions, and dismissed opportunities I had in my youth.  I have learned that self criticism is useful  but that self flagellation is not productive, and certainly not comfort making. 

We must not necessarily forgive ourselves for the dumb shit that we did but we had better not let it define our psyche either.  So we made some mistakes...........I made aplenty of them and there were some behaviors  that I am not proud of.  I/we should understand that poor judgements at the age of 17 are not the judgements we will make today.  Silver can tell us that brains do not develop fully until we are 24, 26, or more. 

I have some regrets but I refuse to let those regrets drive my destiny.   This from a guy who has been there, done that, for damned close to a century.

My regrets, if I dwelt on them are that I didn't go there, do that, for nigh on 60 years. I was too scared but then the grass on the other side always looks greener. I wouldn't say anything to my younger self because speaking from a position of reason to one who lives by faith is a pointless exercise. I didn't change until the weight of the doubts which came from my own reactions to what I was being asked to believe were so heavy that they overcame my fear and toppled my faith.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Recusant

My younger self might not have listened, but . . .

While you're right about them, the sooner you set aside the disgust and despair humanity induces in you, the better.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

And just like that, a role model for The Asmo's twilight years was born  8)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.