News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

How would you reply?

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 16, 2018, 08:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on November 16, 2018, 09:09:14 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done against blind hatred. Not to excuse them, but the older generations were never much on acceptance. They were not raised with open minds. Our only hope, is that our good friends The Interwebs and Instant Information can shine a discrediting light on these dark corners of human behavior.

Not only that, but a part of the prefrontal cortex which processes new ideas tends to become less flexible with age, so some older people can prefer to find refuge in old notions and become more conservative. Especially if they were conservative to begin with.

The Interwebs and Instant Information can be double-edged swords, though. A lot of people receive a lot of those types of info via messenger apps, and a lot of it is wrong, distorted and even absurd information, such as all that nonsense on homosexuals. I can't believe that anyone could find that believable.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

People are dumb. They'll believe almost anything. Except for maybe evolution.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on November 17, 2018, 07:50:38 PM
People are dumb. They'll believe almost anything. Except for maybe evolution.

Funny how that works! :lol:

Unsapien

I have a guy at work that used to say things like that to, about how disgusting gays are and how "what they do was so perverted" etc..

One day I said to him, "You know for a guy that's always saying that you think gays are disgusting, you seem to spend a lot of time thinking about it."

He doesn't talk like that (at least around me) any more.

He also asked a female employee if he could have a photo of her, and she said no. But I said "you can have photo of me if you want".

He doesn't like me.
"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

No one

Well, not only are you Unsapien, you are also unstupid. So your coworker's tiny brain hurts when he? sees you.

Essie Mae

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 17, 2018, 06:12:39 PM
Quote from: No one on November 16, 2018, 09:09:14 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done against blind hatred. Not to excuse them, but the older generations were never much on acceptance. They were not raised with open minds. Our only hope, is that our good friends The Interwebs and Instant Information can shine a discrediting light on these dark corners of human behavior.

Not only that, but a part of the prefrontal cortex which processes new ideas tends to become less flexible with age, so some older people can prefer to find refuge in old notions and become more conservative. Especially if they were conservative to begin with.

The Interwebs and Instant Information can be double-edged swords, though. A lot of people receive a lot of those types of info via messenger apps, and a lot of it is wrong, distorted and even absurd information, such as all that nonsense on homosexuals. I can't believe that anyone could find that believable.

In my case rejecting religion at a rather advanced age along with loads of entrenched ideas that Christians thought were the right thing, (eg homosexuality practices are wrong, wives subject to their husbands, no women's right to choose etc etc) luckily trumped any advancing pre-frontal cortex inflexibility. 😀 Now I watch out for any thoughtless opinions and I think being able to embrace new ideas actually makes coping with life easier.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

hermes2015

Quote from: Unsapien on November 19, 2018, 08:17:38 PM
I have a guy at work that used to say things like that to, about how disgusting gays are and how "what they do was so perverted" etc..

One day I said to him, "You know for a guy that's always saying that you think gays are disgusting, you seem to spend a lot of time thinking about it."

He also asked a female employee if he could have a photo of her, and she said no. But I said "you can have photo of me if you want".

He doesn't like me.

:thumbsup:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

He doesn't like me.

He's not very socially adept is he? :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

He doesn't like me.

Too funny! Offering him a pic was great.

xSilverPhinx

He doesn't like me.

HA! :lol:

Yeah, I don't get that. What with all the supposedly heterosexual obsessing over gay sex?

But anyway, people like that clearly have some unresolved issues. I wouldn't want to be around them.