News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Weird Or Funny Things You Used To Believe As A Child

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 12, 2016, 08:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I'm curious to hear about the innocent or funny beliefs or perspectives you had as a child, when magic and reality overlapped and monsters roamed the world.

Some of mine:

- I used to believe that babies were kept in those boxes they store high up in supermarket warehouses and that parents would purchase their infants when they wanted to expand their families. When I was six my mother went away for a couple of days and came back with my baby brother, and I thought she had just been on a long shopping trip, which is quite normal for my mother.

- I thought you could plant a coin and get a money-bearing tree. Many a good coin was lost in the backyard.

- I believed that by the time I was old enough to drive we would have flying cars. (:sad sigh:)

- I used to be certain that my toys became alive when I wasn't looking. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Essie Mae

I used to think that when you posted a letter, it went along a tube until it reached the right road to be delivered by the postman.  Also that I would marry my brother when I grew up.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Sandra Craft

I used to believe the people who told I'd me understand things when I got older.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

For reasons I no longer remember, I used to believe that dogs saw themselves as humans... In much the same way as I saw me. I'm talking about pure labels here; self-awareness was not a concept I understood at the time. :???:

Also, the worlds and characters of cartoons and some less imaginative fairy tales seemed valid and had a depth to them.

Hmm... I don't think I have ever believed anything strongly though. I was just never that kind of person, I guess.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

I don't know if I believed anything but I once tried to jump into the TV like on blues clues because Steve told me to. But I had my doubts.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

solidsquid

Things I believed when I was a child:

1. I could be anything I wanted when I grew up.
2. I could change the radio station in the car with my mind (I was like 4 and my parents' car had a foot-switch I was unaware of).
3. Everyone grew food in their backyard and killed dinner every week (I grew up around the Depression Era generation of my family on the outskirts of a small town in south Texas - my great aunt still used a wood-fire stove to cook on).
4. If I practiced martial arts hard and long enough, I could do the Dim Mak from Bloodsport

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

I was a little animist--I believed that many objects (not just toys) had a type of sentience. For instance, rocks had friends, and preferred resting places.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

But rocks do have preferred resting places; have you ever noticed how they all just... Lie there?  :headscratch:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

That a flood really covered the entire world and that everything was made in a week. 

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

No one

When i wore a younger person's clothes, i believed humans were decent.

Sandra Craft

I knew my dolls and stuffed animals weren't real in the sense of alive, but I always hoped they might be and, just in case they somehow were, I was careful to put them away in a comfortable position.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany