News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

A possible idea

Started by Dragon_Of_Heavon, January 13, 2009, 03:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragon_Of_Heavon

The Roman Catholic church holds a youth rally every year in DC. I think that Atheists should do much the same including an organized march on capital hill. I think it would send a wonderful message to the world and our government showing that we are here we are growing and they need to take notice. What do you all think?
When the last bastion of religion falls the religious will look up at the sky and ask their God why? And then they will collapse wailing and grinding their teeth. The atheist will look at his feet and say "I think that I can build something better here!"

Whitney

I think it is a great idea; but have you ever tried herding cats?  How would you suggest someone go about organizing such an event?  I'm actually surprised the existing atheist/freethought orangizations haven't put something like this together already.  Maybe the Richard Dawkin out campaign would be interested in doing this (even though he isn't from the US he is apparently here a lot).  Of course, I think part of why it is hard to try to organize athiests into groups (other than them all thinking for themselves) is the fear of persecution.

Will

I think it's a great idea. While we're not an organized group per se, it's good to let people know that our rational worldview exists and in surprising numbers.

BTW, the 2009 American Atheists National Convention will be in Atlanta April 9-12. Dawkins will undoubtedly give a rousing presentation.
http://www.atheists.org/events/National_Convention
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Quote from: "Willravel"BTW, the 2009 American Atheists National Convention will be in Atlanta April 9-12. Dawkins will undoubtedly give a rousing presentation.

Maybe I'll have extra travel money or it will be closer when the 2010 Convention comes around.

Maybe money is part of why it's hard to organize huge national free-thought events?  Unlike Christians with their national events, we don't think that God will be mad at us if we don't go.

Will

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Maybe I'll have extra travel money or it will be closer when the 2010 Convention comes around.
I was thinking it might be good to have a Happy Atheist presence at events like the AA Conference. We're a spunky young forum with everything to prove, after all.
Quote from: "laetusatheos"Maybe money is part of why it's hard to organize huge national free-thought events?  Unlike Christians with their national events, we don't think that God will be mad at us if we don't go.
Moreover, we don't have massive infrastructure and people donating money because apparently the Bible requires 10% plus the vig. AA is an interesting start. I'll be donating to them tomorrow after I check my accounts just to make sure I can move the money.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "Willravel"BTW, the 2009 American Atheists National Convention will be in Atlanta April 9-12. Dawkins will undoubtedly give a rousing presentation.

Maybe I'll have extra travel money or it will be closer when the 2010 Convention comes around.

It's a wee bit far for me :(

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Will

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"It's a wee bit far for me :(

Kyu
You're lucky to be across the Atlantic. There are a ton of atheist organizations in the UK and Europe. Here? AA (American Atheists, not Alcoholics Anonymous... maybe not a good choice in names) is really one of the only reasonably popular and known atheist organizations, and it's tiny.

Dragon_Of_Heavon

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Maybe the Richard Dawkin out campaign would be interested in doing this (even though he isn't from the US he is apparently here a lot).  Of course, I think part of why it is hard to try to organize athiests into groups (other than them all thinking for themselves) is the fear of persecution.

True and Dawkins out campaign was actualy the inspiration for the idea (also the pro life campagins launched at my college every year. As to persecution, the christians and the gays overcame why cant we. (especially when all evidence points to us)
When the last bastion of religion falls the religious will look up at the sky and ask their God why? And then they will collapse wailing and grinding their teeth. The atheist will look at his feet and say "I think that I can build something better here!"

Dragon_Of_Heavon

Willravel I think you have a good idea i wasnt aware that the national convention was in atlanta. I will certainly buy a membership when I get back to college in a few days. As to how one in the national convention could be done, I think all it would take is sending a few letters off to Dawkins, Harris, etc from maybe the leaders of some of the most popular forums. Then pass the word though said forums and out to the rest of our scattered little community. Though it would be cool to do the v for vendetta approch with a huge shout out to meet at the reflecting pool in DC i dont think we would get a lot of takers. I think it needs to be a huge shout out with some heavy hitters and a lot of support. Much more than I am yet capable of but I thought that discussion is the first step. If you guys could maybe list off possible problems and ways to counter said issues it could maybe help get the idea off the ground.

Whitney

First, we'd have to get the big name people on board with the idea and set a date about a year away (to give everyone time to figure out how they'd get to the event).  After that it would only be a matter of getting the word out...and the big names already have a good network in place.  It would probably be easiest to corrdinate something like this if those organizing it could sit down to talk with the big name atheists.  

Whomever tries to start organizing this would have to have the time (and connections) to make these first steps.

Oh, and we'd need a permit (small detail but very important).