News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Future Shock or Something Like It

Started by Hector Valdez, June 23, 2012, 09:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on June 24, 2012, 03:59:29 PM
Quote from: Ali on June 24, 2012, 03:10:58 PM
I guess I just don't see things as being all that dire.  Maybe it depends on where you live, by my area certainly isn't a ghost town of empty sidewalks and feral dogs.  I will say that it does bother me to see a table full of people who are ignoring each other in favor of their cell phones.  Usually teenagers.

Maybe the people on the other side of those phones are more interesting and/or significant to them than those at the table?

Why go out with people if you don't care to speak with/interact with them? 

OldGit

I sometimes think they're talking to each other.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: OldGit on June 24, 2012, 05:29:44 PM
I sometimes think they're talking to each other.

Awww my post was at the end of first page. Oh well :/

They just might be. Sometimes when my friend D and I go out, we text eachother at the table if loud and irritating people are beside us.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 24, 2012, 05:11:20 PM
If some people have social and communication blunders, then that's on them, not cellphones and computers.

Exactly.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on June 24, 2012, 05:27:53 PM
Why go out with people if you don't care to speak with/interact with them?  
One of them may well be buying food with the rest liking the idea of free lunch. OR one may find oneself in the middle of some dreadful family get-together tradition thing just in the name of keeping the peace. I never got that bit, but know people who actually do such thing in the name of peace preservation.

Another plausible situation is that a person is interested in interacting with one-two others at that table, but not while the rest hang around. Yet another possibility is boredom: I will attend because I can and have nothing better to do.

There are many reasons why people get together and then ignore each other, so the list is far from complete.

In my personal experience, however, there usually is enough communication between me and people I visit (or my visitors) even though we are inclined to glue ourselves to each hisown screen at first opportunity. Just because we are together, does not mean we should communicate exclusively within the group - I will say what I need to say when I need to say it, as will those around me. Most of it will usually even be heard.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Quote from: RenegeReversi on June 23, 2012, 09:34:35 PM
I am a bit uncomfortable with the speed at which the scientific establishment is making new discoveries. Now, as far as the knowledge uncovered by these discoveries, I am thrilled, but I fear that individuals at the cutting edge of technology are running far afield of any societal ability to set down moral guidelines so as to preserve the functioning of civilization.
It seems you are resistant to change.
Religions are often very traditional in nature and stifle progress.

I don't believe in morality, I don't need nor desire someone else making moral decisions on my behalf.  Why should I miss out on the benefits of progress because someone in power is confused and scared of change?

Hector Valdez

Maybe I am a bit resistant to change. I feel a bit like I am getting left behind. But thethe cohesiveness of changes do keep coming. I will say that the technological changes seen might cause the downfall of civilization, or they migh5t transform it. What I think is important is that the cohesiveness of society be maintained. But maybe I'm just an old man.

Crow

Quote from: RenegeReversi on June 24, 2012, 10:28:12 PM
What I think is important is that the cohesiveness of society be maintained.

I think it always will. It just takes time to adjust and figure out what type of society we want to maintain. Do people want something new or do they want to keep with tradition, personally I am all for change and constantly moving forward. If a human internet existed like it does in the film "Ghost in the Shell" I would sign up for it straight away even though that opens up even more questions, but one thing is certain and thats wetware based technology is coming as is nanotechnology.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Does this have anything to do with religion? Some religious people cultivate these fears and distrust of change. I particularly find your views to be a little odd. Where does "cohesiveness of society" factor in? At what expense? What exactly do you mean by 'a cohesive society'? One where the majority view is the accepted one? What if the old status quo just doesn't work anymore in a changing world?

Personally I find it difficult to imagine a world where people give up on normal social interaction to go just online, at least just yet. But who knows? Maybe soon there will be a way to look a projected hologram of someone halfway across the world right in the eye and hold a conversation as if that person were right next to you. I think such prospects are fascinating, and will make the world a smaller place (I'm not really a fan of small inward-looking places).

But anyways, speaking for myself, I love online conversations. Firstly because I am a socially awkward person by nature and secondly because I prefer to speak in English. I won't get that as easily here. I like the idea of using cyberspace as my workplace as well, there are just so many tools and possibilities at one's disposal. :)

It's always been the case that older generations resist change and some of the younger are eager for it, only to be the older ones in a few years time. ::) That's been happening since the days of my grandparents as far as I remember. ::)

Edited to add:

The thing I think is really going to suffer in the next few years is the chance to have a simple life. That will be one of the high prices we will pay for being connected to everything all the time, and administration slowly migrating to cyberspace and computerized attendance.

I envy people who lead simple lives.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey