News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Music / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by billy rubin - Today at 10:48:51 PM
Last post by billy rubin - Today at 10:48:19 PM
not even this?
Last post by Papasito Bruno - Today at 02:24:01 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 15, 2022, 09:43:49 PM
:tellmemore:

Hey, that's me!!!

Thanks for posting this here Mags...although the sound quality is not good at all. I recorded this for a friend of mine who is learning to play this song, and he wanted something to play along with while he practices.
Nice of you to post it though.

Quote from: Magdalena on September 16, 2022, 04:55:37 PMOne for PB.
No, not ABBA, her name is Debbii Dawson. :tellmemore:

It's still technically Abba, but Debbie's voice is amazing, so I'll let it go this time ::)

BUTT NO ABBA IS ALLOWED ON THIS WEBSITE.
(Moderator note: Posting songs, performances, or even pictures of the group which will not be named (Abba) will result in a life-long ban from the site, plus hate mail, along with eternal damnation in hell)

Laid Back Lounge / Re: Bruno's Penis Jokes
Last post by Papasito Bruno - Today at 02:14:52 PM
Bad Penny: "Hello, do you have that new book about living with a small penis"?
Librarian: "I'm sorry, I don't think it's in yet".
Bad Penny: "Yeah, that's the one'.

Me and the wife were joking around together recently, and she said, "I bet I can say something that makes you both happy and sad at the same time".

"Go for it", I said.

"You have the biggest dick out of all your friends" , she replies.
Science / Re: One hundred and eighty!!!
Last post by Tank - Today at 08:21:27 AM
Quote from: Bluenose on Today at 01:38:30 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 05, 2022, 07:04:07 PMWould you rather be hit by a rock or the equivalent weight of sand? Or put it another way one 1,000kg rock or that rock cut into 100,000 pieces. I would think that one rock would make it to ground but the 100,000 pebble would burn up through the atmosphere.

Well, the amount of kinetic energy to be transferred to the Earth system would be the same. If the solid rock is big enough to be a cause for concern, the same mass of sand would still have major consequences of the same order of magnitude.

The kinetic energy would be the same. But the surface area of the sand and thus drag would be considerably higher. The sand would spread out and burn up high in the atmosphere. Hardly anything would reach the surface if anything at all.

Thousands of tons of dust and small space debris fall on the Earth yearly and we don't even notice most of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_dust
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Should we talk about the w...
Last post by hermes2015 - Today at 07:26:32 AM
We've suddenly had a few hot days after the freezing winter. It is expected to get to 32° where I live today.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Should we talk about the w...
Last post by Recusant - Today at 07:11:59 AM
Quote from: Icarus on October 04, 2022, 11:51:08 PMRecusants new picture of himself looks a lot like Isaac Asimov. One of my favorite authors, person of great imagination, and sometime raconteur.

As for the weather......There is another potential Hurricane brewing in the Windward Islands off the northern coast of South America.  We look suspiciously at such stuff at this time of year.

The death toll from the recent one has reached beyond 100. That storm was as evil as any in our experience.

Florida is a splendid place, but intermittent visitation by hurricanes reduces its attraction in my opinion.  :-\ 

It is Asimov. He was one of the central figures on my mental landscape when I was a youngster. One of his purported birthdays is October 4th--haven't yet got around to changing back to my usual Laughing Cavalier.

Last post by Dark Lightning - Today at 02:05:23 AM
An infall of sand wouldn't reach the surface, generally speaking. A solid object of the same mass striking the earth would be a catastrophic event, like a dinosaur-killing one.
Last post by Bluenose - Today at 01:38:30 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 05, 2022, 07:04:07 PMWould you rather be hit by a rock or the equivalent weight of sand? Or put it another way one 1,000kg rock or that rock cut into 100,000 pieces. I would think that one rock would make it to ground but the 100,000 pebble would burn up through the atmosphere.

Well, the amount of kinetic energy to be transferred to the Earth system would be the same. If the solid rock is big enough to be a cause for concern, the same mass of sand would still have major consequences of the same order of magnitude.
Last post by Dark Lightning - Today at 01:28:41 AM
A charge of buckshot hitting the ground with an entry speed of many thousands of miles an hour (they won't) is quite different from standing even 100 yards from a shotgun blast. I've seen meteorites much less than the size of a bowling ball that have reached the ground. Those aren't loose aggregates of carbonaceous chondrites, they are chunks of nickel and iron...and left quite a bit of their pre-entry volume in a nice ionization trail across the sky.