News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

Recusant

If the US Department of Justice weighed in supporting sharia law, the vein-bursting outrage would be widespread in the land of the free. As it is, "meh."

The article points out that if the ruling goes as the DOJ wishes, the effect could be widespread.

"DOJ Sticks Its Nose in Lawsuit Against Archdiocese That Fired Gay Teacher – And Urges Court to Rule Against Him" | New Civil Rights Movement

QuoteBill Barr's Dept. of Justice is spreading its tentacles far and wide. While it has every legal right to do so, most might not expect the federal government to weigh in on a case filed in a state court, even a state superior court. And yet, it has.

The United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Indiana and the United States Department of Justice Civil Rights Division have filed a "Statement of Interest" telling the Indiana Superior Court it should rule against a teacher who is suing the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis for firing him because he is gay and married to a man.

"The Archdiocese determined that, consistent with its interpretation of Church teachings, a school within its diocesan boundaries cannot identify as Catholic and simultaneously employ a teacher in a public, same-sex marriage," the DOJ's statement reads. "Many may lament the Archdiocese's determination. But the First Amendment forbids this Court from interfering with the Archdiocese's right to expressive association, and from second-guessing the Archdiocese's interpretation and application of Catholic law. For these reasons, this action must be dismissed."

[Emphasis mine. -- R]

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

It pains me to side with the Catholic church but I do acknowledge their freedom to hire or dismiss whomever they please.   The gay teacher almost surely knew that he would not be acceptable as a teacher in a Catholic school....or Christian school for that matter.

Public school systems are not usually as picky as  the faith based schools.  There are almost surely some geographic locations where he would have a problem even in a public school system. Rural parts of  Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and a few others come to mind. 

Too damned bad.  The guy might be a gifted teacher who could and would motivate students.

Ecurb Noselrub

Our illustrious President is diving headlong into unplumbed depths of incompetence.  Even his own party can't hang with his betrayal of the Kurds.  He is the country's worst enemy right now.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 18, 2019, 08:43:41 PM
Our illustrious President is diving headlong into unplumbed depths of incompetence.  Even his own party can't hang with his betrayal of the Kurds.  He is the country's worst enemy right now.

And it still won't get him impeached.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

joeactor

Trevor Noah reviewed the day - and the 7 crimes therein:

Icarus

As much as I would like to send him to his next non governmental job, I do not think that we have that option.  On the one hand we need to get rid of him before he makes and implements the next ill conceived decision.  On the other hand if we manage to impeach him and McConnell  refuses to allow  it to have a Senate hearing, we will have pissed in our own mess kit.  That outcome would almost surely motivate the Maggats (MAGA people) to rise up up enmasse.  Angry mass at that.  That could cause the "deplorables"  to react in such a way as to cause us to re-elect the Donald.  We must not underestimate the sheer numbers of committed Trumpists who could actually influence the fate of our nation.

Our array of Democratic candidates has yet to show us a sure winner.  Two of the three front runners are trying to sell pie in the sky stuff that is sheer fantasy. I like Bernie and Elizabeth but they are not addressing reality and some of us, maybe a lot of us are aware that their platforms are unrealistic.   Mayor Pete appears to be one of the more intelligent and practical ones but he can not win because of his sexual orientation which is anathema for way too many Christian voters.  Harris and Kobuchar are good enough but they are women and that has already been tried and failed. Oh alright, neither of them are as reviled as Hillary was.  Moving down the line we have a   qualified and intelligent candidate in Booker.  Too bad. He is a black guy and there are still so many Obama haters out there that it is most questionable whether he could capture the popular vote. We are still too near to a racist society to risk nominating Booker.  Beto will take away the AK47s and AR15s.............to his credit,  but that'll get him damned few votes from the gun people.  Steyer might be a good or at least a satisfactory president but he is one of the moneyed elite that are not the favorite types for Mid -America.

It is still along time before the elections and I am hoping to hell that a shining knight or maybe even a lady Knight might emerge to save us from a terrible election travesty. ..............I think that I will have another Bourbon and soda.

Tom62

Since when did Americans ever give a shit about the Kurds in the Middle East? The Kurds were at least betrayed 8 times by the USA over the past 100 years.
On the one hand, the Kurds are a perfect tool for U.S. foreign policy. The U.S. can arm the Kurds in whichever of these countries is currently their enemy, whether to make trouble for that country's government or to accomplish various other objectives. On the other hand, the U.S. don't want the Kurds they're utilizing to ever get too powerful. If that happened, the other Kurds — i.e., the ones living just across the border in whichever of these countries are currently our allies — might get ideas about freedom and independence.

https://theintercept.com/2019/10/07/kurds-syria-turkey-trump-betrayal/
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

jumbojak

Americans who know anything about the Kurds generally have a positive opinion of them. There are, of course, individuals who have never heard of them, but even attempts to smear them as islamists don't seem to stick. It's a strange phenomenon.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

we betrayed the montegnards, we abandoned the vietnamese, we betrayed the shiites in basra, we are currently betraying the iraqi translators who were promised US visas,

trusting american promises is a losing proposition no matter who is in power. the kurds are just the current victims of our short attention span.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: billy rubin on October 19, 2019, 10:08:25 PM
we betrayed the montegnards, we abandoned the vietnamese, we betrayed the shiites in basra, we are currently betraying the iraqi translators who were promised US visas,

trusting american promises is a losing proposition no matter who is in power. the kurds are just the current victims of our short attention span.

Not forgetting all those Natives we had "treaties" with.  Or the Hawaiians whose whole country we took despite their being a sovereign nation.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

"All Republicans must remember what they are witnessing here - a lynching. But we will WIN!"
--Trump.

And

"The single greatest Witch Hunt in American history continues..."
--Trump.

Wait a minute, here...
Witch-hunting and lynching?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

One shouldn't even expect a decent mixed metaphor from the chump®.

Recusant

Trump recently appointed one of his pet Greed-heads for Jesus™ to an official position within his administration. (Included in the first sentence of the article below is a link to the New York Times story. Advisory: Every visit to their site steps you closer to their paywall. Other links are to Friendly Atheist pages.)

"Why is Trump's 'Spiritual Adviser' Paula White Joining the Administration?" | Friendly Atheist

QuoteLast night, the New York Times reported that Paula White, the informal "spiritual adviser" to Donald Trump, had taken an official role within the administration.

QuoteMs. White will work in the Office of Public Liaison, the official said, which is the division of the White House overseeing outreach to groups and coalitions organizing key parts of the president's base. Her role will be to advise the administration's Faith and Opportunity Initiative, which Mr. Trump established last year by executive order and which aims to give religious groups more of a voice in government programs devoted to issues like defending religious liberty and fighting poverty.

For a Christian televangelist like White, that job description almost seems like a step down. At least in terms of visibility. Like most preachers who love the camera, taking a mostly behind-the-scenes role doing pretty much all the same things you were doing earlier doesn't strike me as something she was just itching to do. It's possible Trump just wanted to elevate her even more, just to remind white evangelicals that he'll do anything for them even as he hurts damn near every other group in the country.

Remember: Even without the actual title, White has spent the past few years saying some states believe the Bible is "hate speech," that she had blessed the White House with "the superior blood of Jesus," that church members should vote Republican, and that opposing the president means opposing God.

[Continues . . .]

Below is an example of her good works.

"Donald Trump's Spiritual Adviser Paula White Suggests People Send Her Their January Salary or Face Consequences from God" | Newsweek

QuoteDonald Trump's spiritual adviser has suggested that people send her money in order to transform their lives, or face divine consequences.

Paula White, who heads up the president's evangelical advisory committee, suggested making a donation to her ministries to honor the religious principle of "first fruit," which she said is the idea that all firsts belong to God, including the first harvest and, apparently, the first month of your salary.

"Right now I want you to click on that button, and I want you to honor God with his first fruits offering," she said in a video shared to her website, in which she encourages her followers to donate to her ministries to get blessings from God.

"If God doesn't divinely step in and intervene, I don't know what you're going to face—he does," she said.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken