News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Indiana creationism bill passes the Senate

Started by Ali, February 02, 2012, 02:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Twentythree on February 02, 2012, 04:28:26 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 02, 2012, 04:02:04 PM

It's an example of brash stupidity. That can happen anywhere.

The crazy thing is that I don't believe that moves like this are stupid moves. I think that often these types of plays are called by very intelligent people in leadership roles that see education as a threat to their power structure. Also this could not happen anywhere, if a bill like this were proposed in California or Massachusetts it would have been dismissed before the ink was even dry. But the individuals who make moves like this know that they are in an environment where bill like this have legs with the fundamentalist populations. I also think that they know that they are fighting a losing battle but delaying the decay of their power structure rooted in fundamentalist Christianity they get an opportunity to let the religious ideas and teachings "evolve" to accommodate advancements in scientific knowledge without the whole hodgepodge thing unraveling. Don't get me wrong from my perspective I find it very stupid and a retardation of intellectual progress. But for those in positions of power and/or wealth in susceptible environments it makes perfect sense. I have a hunch that each parry made to evolution is just a struggle to retain the overarching control that the Christian right has over middle America.

I completely agree with this.  The church has such a strong hold on people, weilding it's power means weilding control over a big section of the American population.  They will hold onto that power for as long as they can swing it.

m.condon

The ACLU has already stated that if a lawsuit is brought up as a result of this bill, and you can be assured there will be, they are more than ready to take up the lawsuit but until then they won't do anything about it.
I tried emailing the house reps but all I got was automatic responses, I did get a list of their office numbers and will prob use that next time i wanna urge them to vote against a bill.
I've noticed a bunch of states passing similar legislation, such as South Dakota and New Hampshire. It ridiculous b/c they know they are going to cause needless lawsuits. Theres just not much we can do except speak out to our current senators and such....
Usanap.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzqSDWbLfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

history_geek

Quote from: Davin on February 02, 2012, 04:05:43 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 02, 2012, 02:52:47 AMWhat should we do about this?
Well, it says "theories", which for creationism, there aren't any. Theories are specific things, and while the colloquial definition may get all bastardized, this is a legal document. So, if they try to teach a myth as a theory, then you can still take them to task for it.

Well, here's the problem. If you google "scientific theory" and go to Wikipedia, you will find this:

QuoteA scientific theory is a set of principles that explain and predict phenomena.[1] Scientists create scientific theories with the scientific method, when they are originally proposed as hypotheses and tested for accuracy through observations and experiments.[2] Once a hypothesis is verified, it becomes a theory.[3]

The term "theory" is a polyseme, even among scientists. While most scientists reserve the term for verifiable principles, others use it to refer to hypothetical frameworks.[4] Colloquially, it is often used to refer to a guess. In the humanities, the concept is called a philosophical theory and is intended to explain noumena. Philosophical theories can refer to a set of principles or a set of propositions.

But Cretards only see, or acknowledge, this:

QuoteThe term "theory" is....often used to refer to a guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

At least to me this blatant dishonesty and intellectual laziness of the people who want "facts" that fit their "knowledge" (read: faith) spoon fed to them, with as little effort as possible on their part, has always been and will always be the problem... :-\

Other then that, fingers crossed for ACLU...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i