News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2021, 07:37:42 PM
Hi. :grin:

I'm reading the manuscript my advisor wrote and am in doubt about the word use in this sentence: 

"...the possible involvement of female hormones behind the observed effects..."

Is 'behind' ok in this context? :notsure: This seems to me like a literal translation of Portuguese. My head really isn't working too well today so I'm really not sure.  :-\

Behind is ok but I would suggest 'that cause' or 'underpin' might be less potentially ambiguous.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 20, 2021, 07:45:26 PM

I'm reading the manuscript my advisor wrote and am in doubt about the word use in this sentence: 

Is 'behind' ok in this context? :notsure: This seems to me like a literal translation of Portuguese. My head really isn't working too well today so I'm really not sure.  :-\

Behind is ok but I would suggest 'that cause' or 'underpin' might be less potentially ambiguous.

I like 'underpin'! Thanks, Tank! :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2021, 07:47:48 PM

'that underpin'
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 20, 2021, 07:48:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2021, 07:47:48 PM

'that underpin'

Gotchya!  :thumbsup:

Bluenose

I was going to make the same suggestions as Tank, then I saw his post.   ::)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

hermes2015

My suggestion:

"...the possible involvement of female hormones in the observed effects..."
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 21, 2021, 02:52:29 AM
My suggestion:

"...the possible involvement of female hormones in the observed effects..."

Thanks, Hermes! I have passed on your suggestion as well.  :thumbsup:

billy rubin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 21, 2021, 11:18:37 PM

ahem

in english, to "pass on" means to transfer something from one person, group, or time to another, as in "the old man passed on the right to have a party . . . " meaning, that the old man transferred the right to have a party to someone else.

however, to "pass on" means to decide to ignore, reject, or not take advantage of something, as in "th eold man passed on the right to have a party . . . " meaning, "the old man rejected the right to have a party."

in american english, the difference is discernable in written form only in context. in spoken american english, the first useage can be detected by placing equal emphasis on both syllables: he passed on his inheritence . . . "

the second is distinguished by spoken emphasis on the first syllable of the phrase: " he passed on giving his inheritance . . . "

just so you know.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on January 22, 2021, 12:56:25 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 21, 2021, 11:18:37 PM

ahem

in english, to "pass on" means to transfer something from one person, group, or time to another, as in "the old man passed on the right to have a party . . . " meaning, that the old man transferred the right to have a party to someone else.

however, to "pass on" means to decide to ignore, reject, or not take advantage of something, as in "th eold man passed on the right to have a party . . . " meaning, "the old man rejected the right to have a party."

in american english, the difference is discernable in written form only in context. in spoken american english, the first useage can be detected by placing equal emphasis on both syllables: he passed on his inheritence . . . "

the second is distinguished by spoken emphasis on the first syllable of the phrase: " he passed on giving his inheritance . . . "

just so you know.

Ah, ok. :blush: Thanks for the correction, billy!

(Just so you know, Hermes, I meant it as a transfer, not that I had rejected your suggestion :P)

billy rubin

t wasn't a correction. it was a just a useful thing to know.

you can pass on the knowledge, or alternatively, you can pass on the knowledge.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on January 22, 2021, 01:07:27 AM
t wasn't a correction. it was a just a useful thing to know.

you can pass on the knowledge, or alternatively, you can pass on the knowledge.

:thumbsup:

hermes2015

English is such a fascinating language, owing to its diverse origins.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 22, 2021, 03:27:24 AM
English is such a fascinating language, owing to its diverse origins.

English is the mongrel of all languages. It's slept with every other language on the planet.

No one