News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Happy Birthday, Icarus (91!)

Started by Magdalena, June 27, 2021, 07:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Icarus on June 30, 2021, 12:08:31 AM
My reference to party lines was for the early 40s.  Yes Billy, I remember my four digit number. It had the prefix Y because it was in the Ybor City, the predominantly Spanish, part of Tampa.  The number was Y3498.  Why in hell can I remember useless things like that but sometimes fail to remember what day it is?  I later lived in a different part of the city at 1200 East Ida street.  Zip codes did not exist at that time. It cost 3 cents to send a first class letter.  A post card cost one cent.

One of my great interests was crystal set radios. I experimented and built many of them. My highest achievement was being able to get radio station WIND from Chicago. Sunday nights I could listen to one of my favorite all time commentators: Dave Garraway.  That was maybe 1946.  To be able to capture a station that far away required a huge antenna and clear weather.  I had built the colossal antenna of clothes line wire. 

Heh, I too built a crystal set as a child (from a kit). I was pleased with the success but achieved none of the glorious results you did, Icarus. Clearly I should have been more ambitious with my antenna.  :D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

i remember cub scout directions for a crystal set using a germanium crystal held in a copper tube with a set screw, and a tuner made with a toilet paper roll wrapped with turns of wire.

you can buy kits these days where yku just plug in a diode and connect pieces, but the old build it from garbage boy scout technque is more interesting to me

set the function, not the mechanism.

jumbojak

Happy belated birthday Gene. I hope you enjoyed the day.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Biggus Dickus

I guess I'm a little late, but Happy Birthday Sir!

Hope you had an enjoyable day, and got lots of presents!!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."