News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Catholic dating!

Started by Dave, March 12, 2017, 11:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I honestly did not know where to place this. I was reading a piece about the Vatican's attitude to AI when i saw this advert:

Would this honestly encourage you to look further? Or think it was a joke? Looks like it is genuine.

https://www.catholicmatch.com/?referrer_code=catholicnewsagency&campaign_code=stpatricksbrilliant_300x250

The article was in Catholic News Agency.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Pasta Chick

It's probably real. Christian Mingle is a thing, after all.

Plus the specifics of dating websites knows no bounds. There are sites to match you to people wth the same STDs.

Dave

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 12, 2017, 05:08:27 PM
It's probably real. Christian Mingle is a thing, after all.

Plus the specifics of dating websites knows no bounds. There are sites to match you to people wth the same STDs.
Oh, I am sure it is genujne - just that the graphics make it look like the Inquisition is on the team! Or just the place for bishops and monks to get hooked up?

Recusant

Given that it appears on a completely serious site, I'd assume that it isn't a joke. Perhaps if I were a single Catholic, I might look further. Not being a Catholic single, I researched the image instead. It is a stained glass window: The Consecration of St. Mél, Bishop of Longford, by St. Patrick, by Harry Clarke.

Wikipedia says that St. Mél's day is now "observed as a holiday for single people." In the ad, the prominent face is St. Patrick--St. Mél's face is obscured by the "JOIN NOW!" banner. :sidesmile:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on March 12, 2017, 05:37:38 PM
Given that it appears on a completely serious site, I'd assume that it isn't a joke. Perhaps if I were a single Catholic, I might look further. Not being a Catholic single, I researched the image instead. It is a stained glass window: The Consecration of St. Mél, Bishop of Longford, by St. Patrick, by Harry Clarke.

Wikipedia says that St. Mél's day is now "observed as a holiday for single people." In the ad, the prominent face is St. Patrick--St. Mél's face is obscured by the "JOIN NOW!" banner. :sidesmile:

Ah, so it is symbolic after all. Hence the "Brilliant St Patrick" bit.

Supposed a devout Catholic would  know the reference.

Recusant

Quote from: Gloucester on March 12, 2017, 05:54:11 PM
Quote from: Recusant on March 12, 2017, 05:37:38 PM

Ah, so it is symbolic after all. Hence the "Brilliant St Patrick" bit.

Supposed a devout Catholic would  know the reference.

I think that it's so obscure as to be opaque; a sort of in joke by the person who created the image. Even a very devout Catholic would be unlikely to recognize the artwork unless perhaps they belonged to the parish of Longford, Ireland; the location of the Cathedral of St. Mél.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Arturo

I agree the image is funny.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱