News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

The idea of God is absurd like a comedy or a tragedy. Your choice is your own.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

Nonsense is a reason to be a grumpy bum.

MarcusA

Bad weather makes me sad, not grumpy. Bad religion makes me grumpy.

MarcusA

The rich might not be able to get into heaven but they get into everyone's pockets.

Anne D.

The only tree on our property, a massive, towering white oak in our backyard was sick and dying, and we had it removed today. When I left this morning, it was still there with its remaining canopy covering our and our neighbor's backyard, and when I came home it was gone :/ It looks so f--g bleak in our backyard now. The stump is over 4 feet across. They had to shut down the block in front of our house and set up a crane to lift limbs up and over the entire house to remove the tree. They set up a wood chipper in the street. Husband said the kids across the street came out to watch the whole thing. It was An Event. Makes me very sad. Apparently white oaks can live to be more than 400 years old. I wish I knew how old ours was. Our house was built in the 1920s, and I'm sure the tree was already there at the time.

Recusant

Quote from: Anne D. on July 29, 2023, 03:31:35 AMThe only tree on our property, a massive, towering white oak in our backyard was sick and dying, and we had it removed today. When I left this morning, it was still there with its remaining canopy covering our and our neighbor's backyard, and when I came home it was gone :/ It looks so f--g bleak in our backyard now. The stump is over 4 feet across. They had to shut down the block in front of our house and set up a crane to lift limbs up and over the entire house to remove the tree. They set up a wood chipper in the street. Husband said the kids across the street came out to watch the whole thing. It was An Event. Makes me very sad. Apparently white oaks can live to be more than 400 years old. I wish I knew how old ours was. Our house was built in the 1920s, and I'm sure the tree was already there at the time.

I commiserate with your sentiment. It's a shame to lose a great tree. :-\

You could try counting the rings, if possible.

What happened with the actual tree?  Something of that size could produce a fair amount of decent lumber, and white oak is worthwhile.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Anne D.

The tree's remains would be wasted on us. Our fireplace isn't functional, and I wouldn't know what else to do with it. I'm sure the tree removal people will find a good use for the wood, and we don't care if they make a profit off it.

Icarus

That is a Bummer, Anne.  Joyce Kilmer would be sad and me too.

I have a giant oak in my yard that I am pleased to live with. The species is called Live Oak and they can live for two hundred years. Live oaks live longer in Florida because they can endure hurricane wind velocities. I also have a different oak in my back yard that is of a different specie.  It is called Laurel Oak and it is not nearly as durable as the old grandfather live oak. The last hurricane that we had took out part of the Laurel. The damage cost me about $1100, but part of the tree is still intact.

My front yard had long been graced by five qween palms. They had been there for 20 years and had grown so tall that they were costing a bunch of money to Maintain. Palms need to be trimmed about three times a year. If not trimmed they will produce dead fronds that are unsightly. The taller they became the more it cost to have them trimmed. In a fit of miserly despair, I had them all cut down. I miss them but do not miss having to pay for their maintenance. 

Anne D.

Thanks for the commiseration, Recusant and Icarus. That's too bad about your laurel oak damage and the palms, Icarus. It's insult on top of injury that it's so expensive to lose a tree--the cost to remove a large one is no joke.

billy rubin

nature removes some if them for us.tyesterday morning i had to back up  the road and go to work a different waty because a tree had fallen across the road. it haens here  i used to carry an axe in the truck.

right at tbe foot of our property is a stump of some hardwood   six feet across. its on the neighbors side and was felled a few years back to make somebodys deck.

i would not do that

set the function, not the mechanism.

MarcusA

The tree
looks like a dog,
barking at heaven
- Jack Kerouac

Barking dogs are like sinners that God is indifferent to: it's a bible reference.

MarcusA

When you have a first thought, and on second thoughts, you have a second but it doesn't fit.

Bluenose

Reason to be grumpy:

I log onto HAF and find innumerable trite posts from the same editor.  :(
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

MarcusA

The exercise of reading drains me.

Bluenose

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett