News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

New Changes?

Started by Tanker, September 30, 2010, 12:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanker

I'm not sure what all you changed a few days ago but the "view new posts" button is now only available on the "board" menu. It's really messing up my flow and usage of this forum. Any way you can put it back? Thats how I check new content and it's now tedious and round about for me. I'm not sure if it's changable, or if it was intentional, or if I'm the only person having issues with it, but if you could re add it I would appreciate it. Regardless thanks.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

humblesmurph

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Tanker"I'm not sure what all you changed a few days ago but the "view new posts" button is now only available on the "board" menu.
I was talking about it earlier with McQ.  He is attempting to get it fixed.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Whitney

I will fix it when I have time to sit down and look at the code without being rushed..may be a while.  I liked it too but it was a custom change I made up on my own and I don't know exactly what I did.  It got lost when the last upgrade replaced the associated files (which must not have been the header file because I think my custom stuff on the right is still there).

A short term fix is bookmarking the link (you can find it at the top of the board index) and using that  to surf the site.

edit:  this is the link you want to bookmark:

search.php?search_id=newposts

I don't know why phpbb has the default setup for an ego search.

Tank

If you have firefox go to the view new posts screen then drag the tag onto the button bar just above where the tag is. This creates a button that goes to the new posts screen. Right mouse click on the button and edit the properties to say 'New' and you have a custom control that you can use whenever you like. You can do the same with 'View your posts' and those two buttons allow you to keep an eye on all the threads you are engaged in and all new posts.

Here you can see the two buttons HAF and New also a button for RatSkep and SD for Science daily. This is a good habit to get into as with so many forums and each implementing different controls in different ways you can create your own custome 'dash board' of access buttons.

When I join a forum I make a button and in the details area of the properties I put my user name and a bastardised version of my password so I can remember it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

PoopShoot

I never knew that.  Thanks.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Tanker

So any update on a fix?

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Tanker

Still wondering about that fix.

Will

Unfortunately, it's not all that easy to fix. I'll check out the phpbb forums in a bit and see if there's a fix for it.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

I know how to fix it...I'm really busy.  Just bookmark the new topics link.

curiosityandthecat

I've had the active_topics link bookmarked instead of the new_topics for ... well, years. I find it's a bit better because it doesn't limit it to a time span. (For example, at the time of this posting, the new_topics search returns 14 hits, while the active_topics search returns 86.)
-Curio