News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

Quote from: "Godless"That's one reason why PC gaming > Console gaming. Once a console comes out, it is stuck with that hardware for its entire lifetime and developers are forced to limit their games so they can run on those consoles. However, new hardware is always coming out for PCs so they can be upgraded whenever users feel like it. Instead of having to develop games for outdated hardware, developers can implement the newest technology to make their games even better.

Agreed.

I don't hate consoles, i just hate Nintendo. Vehemently.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Hat

T'is the thing about the Gaming Industry; it all boils down to personal preferences when it comes to Consoles/Games.

I suppose I'm the 'Neutral' person in class who 'keeps the balance' since all the guys are hardcore fanboys of something, be it a console or a game, the most talked about subject recently being Call of Duty. I learned early to keep quiet and not butt in when people start claiming one thing to be better than another. It just gets messy jkzsbduiw D:

quizlixx

Quote from: "Hat"T'is the thing about the Gaming Industry; it all boils down to personal preferences when it comes to Consoles/Games.

I suppose I'm the 'Neutral' person in class who 'keeps the balance' since all the guys are hardcore fanboys of something, be it a console or a game, the most talked about subject recently being Call of Duty. I learned early to keep quiet and not butt in when people start claiming one thing to be better than another. It just gets messy jkzsbduiw D:
we all have a inner fanboy *cough*bioshock*cough*
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "quizlixx"we all have a inner fanboy *cough*bioshock*cough*
FF7, here. Total fanboy.  :blush:
-Curio

Kodanshi

Quote from: "VanReal"
Quote from: "Hitsumei"before Bart caught the "Shinnin'" hehe.

Don’t you mean The Shining?

Shh, boy! Do you wanna get sued?!

:D
[size=85]“I've been planning to end at 1 hp for years now.”[/size]

Hat

Quote from: "quizlixx"
Quote from: "Hat"T'is the thing about the Gaming Industry; it all boils down to personal preferences when it comes to Consoles/Games.

we all have a inner fanboy *cough*bioshock*cough*
Ahaha, this is true. I fangirl over most RPGs, mainly FF6 since it was my first ever RPG. It was the old PS version, but I got it for the GBA when it came out and aeryabgd cue the massive Wave of Nostolgia.

I needs to find me FF7, 8 and 9 some day. They're the only ones I haven't played apart from 11.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Hat"I needs to find me FF7, 8 and 9 some day. They're the only ones I haven't played apart from 11.

:(
-Curio

rlrose328

I didn't know if I should start a new thread for this or put it here, so here goes...

So I've said I'm addicted to WoW.  It's pretty bad, quite honestly.  EVERY DAY I want to play all day.  So far, my studies aren't suffering... much.

I'm a lvl 44 Paladin and lvl 42 Hunter... and a few others that I tried different classes but didn't take to them... and this is within about a month and a half, so I have played a bit.   :raised:   Unfortunately, I've not done any raids or instances, mostly just questing on my own with a guide.  

Here's my dilemma:
I joined a guild over the weekend and it was so fun to be a part of the group, I dumped 100 gold in the guild bank along with a TON of other stuff (glyphs, rare cloths, etc.).  Last night, some of the guildies were on and wow, they were being so gross and immature... not roleplaying but the macho "F-U if you can't take a joke" kinda thing, being very disrespectful, and yelling at the rest of us if we asked them to tone it down.  3 other high-level players that we NEED in the guild (adults) immediately left the guild right then.  And the guild leader, who I know is an adult and asked that we invite no one under 18, was just laughing along with them and saying we have to be tolerant of others.

I've put so much stuff into the guild in such a short time (newbie, I know), but I don't want to participate with these children just to be in a guild.  Is there some type of guild etiquette I'm not aware of?

I feel like such a green doofus.  They start all jabbering on about raids and awards and such, and I have no idea what they're talking about.

What would you other WoW folks do?
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

ACSlater

I've never gotten into PC gaming since I utilize my laptop's power for recording, but I've revived some old consoles (NES, SNES, and Dreamcast) and couldn't be happier. :banna: So, I feel pretty awesome. I haven't stepped into the recent consoles yet, but my PS2 keeps me happy since it's still supported by Sony and all other occasional gamers out there.

PS - I'm a bit timid to the MMORPG world, so are there any suggestions for getting into World of Warcraft?

Happy Gaming everybody.

karadan

Quote from: "rlrose328"I didn't know if I should start a new thread for this or put it here, so here goes...

So I've said I'm addicted to WoW.  It's pretty bad, quite honestly.  EVERY DAY I want to play all day.  So far, my studies aren't suffering... much.

I'm a lvl 44 Paladin and lvl 42 Hunter... and a few others that I tried different classes but didn't take to them... and this is within about a month and a half, so I have played a bit.   :) Unfortunately it is full of kids comparing their shiny helmets. A lot of people in that game have helmet envy. it is difficult to find a guild comprised of adults, but they are out there.. First of all, what server do you play on? If, by massive luck, you play on Runetotem, then you are in luck. My best mate runs the largest guild on that server and i'll get you in his guild no probs. If you don't then my advice is to advertise on the forums for an adult guild. Otherwise, you'll have to compete with kids whose only vocabulary, it seems, is STFU NOOB!

You won't need to worry about raiding until you are lvl 70 at least. You won't need to worry about awards until you are lvl 80.

There are a couple of lower level instances (raid dungeons) but you will be very hard pressed to find anyone to join you seeing as the majority of the population is at lvl 80 already.

If you have further questions, i'll be happy to answer. IMO, if you wanted to create a character on runetotem anyway, then you'd have a good time amongst adults in my friends guild.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

rlrose328

Quote from: "karadan"Welcome to World of warcraft :beer:

I just played for my lunch  hour (from studying) and one of the kids who was so obnoxious was on, and we chatted while we played.  He was respectful, kind, considerate, funny... everything he WASN'T last night while he and his 2 friends were on.  SOOOO guy-like... gotta be a turd with his buddies but might actually be a good kid.

I'll probably stick it out for the time being.... can you be on different guilds on different servers?  Or just one guild period?
**Kerri**

curiosityandthecat

Ugh.

I play solo campaigns. Can't stand online multiplayer (especially MMOs). I like to compete against myself, not with others. Though, I'm super, extra, duper, mega excited for The Secret World, the new MMO by Ragnar Tornquist which is coming out... soonish. I write for a gaming website and hope to interview Ragnar about it before it opens.

:D
-Curio

karadan

Quote from: "rlrose328"I'll probably stick it out for the time being.... can you be on different guilds on different servers?  Or just one guild period?

Yes. You can be in other guilds on other servers but you'd have to create a new character from scratch to play on another server.

The odd thing about WoW is that it seems so huge when you first play it (it really is very huge) but as you play through, many facets of the game quickly become redundant and you realise most of it is just for show. The content soon becomes very repetitive. I doubt there is anyone out there who has done everything the game has to offer because that would be an exercise in futility (and repetitive stress syndrome). It is very linear as well. I simply got bored once i capped at lvl 70 (this was before you could get to 80) and the economy just wasn't very good. That is why i now play Eve. everything in the game is player created. Real world economy and stuff. It did take me two years to get to that point though. On the most part, i had lots of fun.

I'm very bitter though :) I had some unfortunate 'incidents' which left me feeling rather disenfranchised about the whole affair. I quickly killed my subscription once i realised i was paying to play a game i hated.

You have some fun times ahead of you though. Stranglethorn Vale was a great looking zone. The Un Goro crater was also muchos fun.

karadan

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Ugh.

I play solo campaigns. Can't stand online multiplayer (especially MMOs). I like to compete against myself, not with others. Though, I'm super, extra, duper, mega excited for The Secret World, the new MMO by Ragnar Tornquist which is coming out... soonish. I write for a gaming website and hope to interview Ragnar about it before it opens.

:)

Huxley looks like it could be quite good as does Jumpgate Evolution. You should check those out Curio. :D

rlrose328

Quote from: "karadan"Yes. You can be in other guilds on other servers but you'd have to create a new character from scratch to play on another server.

I think you can pay to move a character to another server... though if you have a name that someone else on that server already has, I don't know how they handle it.  My main character, the lvl 44 Dwarf Paladin, is named Gilvaethwy (from Celtic mythology).  As far as I can see from the WoW site, I'm the only one using that name.  But ya know, I like starting new characters.  I don't have a Gnome yet... Hmmm...

Quote from: "karadan"The odd thing about WoW is that it seems so huge when you first play it (it really is very huge) but as you play through, many facets of the game quickly become redundant and you realise most of it is just for show. The content soon becomes very repetitive. I doubt there is anyone out there who has done everything the game has to offer because that would be an exercise in futility (and repetitive stress syndrome). It is very linear as well. I simply got bored once i capped at lvl 70 (this was before you could get to 80) and the economy just wasn't very good. That is why i now play Eve. everything in the game is player created. Real world economy and stuff. It did take me two years to get to that point though. On the most part, i had lots of fun.

I like the linear aspect... it's comforting to know each area has basically a triad of tasks.  I sometimes have trouble killing the felines.   :) I had some unfortunate 'incidents' which left me feeling rather disenfranchised about the whole affair. I quickly killed my subscription once i realised i was paying to play a game i hated.[/quote]

So I take it that means you're NOT on WoW anymore?  Bummer!

Quote from: "karadan"You have some fun times ahead of you though. Stranglethorn Vale was a great looking zone. The Un Goro crater was also muchos fun.

I LOVED Stranglethorn Vale (killing tigers notwithstanding).  It was so beautiful!  I like the starting area for the Draenei as well... very ethereal.  And it's cool to see myself running, from behind, with the hooves and tail.  LOL!  The graphics are very cool.  The further I get, though, the more dark and dreary the environments become.

I'll see about creating a character on that other server and let you know if I want to be in your friend's guild.  I'm still such a newbie, though... I had to find and print a WoW-speak list so I can figure out what people are talking about on chat!   ;)
**Kerri**