News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's Cooking?

Started by Bad Penny II, August 22, 2018, 02:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

I made a peach crisp but the peaches were subpar so now I'm just eating the crisp bits, which is basically just brown sugar and oats.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on September 26, 2018, 03:28:45 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2018, 12:50:32 AM
Portuguese pizza.  :yum:

Sounds yummy, what's on it?

Ham, eggs, tomato and onion. It's also common to add green pepper and olives but that would only be spoiling a good pizza. :P

Bluenose

LOL!

That combination (without the olives and green capsicum) would be called an Aussie over here!  I guess great minds think alike, or is it fools seldom differ?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2018, 10:31:38 AM

Ham, eggs, tomato and onion. It's also common to add green pepper and olives but that would only be spoiling a good pizza. :P

I used to break an egg into a small, oiled, ovenproof bowl, sprinkle grated cheese on, bits of ham or cooked bacon, more cheese, thinly sliced cherry toms, final sprinkle of cheese. Then bake for 5 min in hot over, check, bake some more if necessary.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on September 26, 2018, 10:48:29 AM
LOL!

That combination (without the olives and green capsicum) would be called an Aussie over here!  I guess great minds think alike, or is it fools seldom differ?

Really? That's interesting! :lol: If I'm ever in Australia I'll remember to order an Aussie then! :P

Bluenose

Quote from: Dave on September 26, 2018, 10:50:36 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2018, 10:31:38 AM

I used to break an egg into a small, oiled, ovenproof bowl, sprinkle grated cheese on, bits of ham or cooked bacon, more cheese, thinly sliced cherry toms, final sprinkle of cheese. Then bake for 5 min in hot over, check, bake some more if necessary.

Mmm...   That'd be heaven on a stick, if you put it on a stick...

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bluenose

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2018, 10:58:55 AM
LOL!

Really? That's interesting! :lol: If I'm ever in Australia I'll remember to order an Aussie then! :P

I find it amusing how sometime "nationalities" are used in food.  For example, I seriously doubt the French have ever heard of French fries, except for a well know American fast food chain.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Bluenose on September 26, 2018, 11:01:58 AM
LOL!

I find it amusing how sometime "nationalities" are used in food.  For example, I seriously doubt the French have ever heard of French fries, except for a well know American fast food chain.

"As American as apple pie!" I had one cooked by an American, it was, er, apple pie.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on September 26, 2018, 11:01:58 AM
LOL!

Yes, and staple foods rarely seem to get the titles.

Bluenose

Actually on a slight but related topic change, one of the exciting things on the food scene over here is the rising availability of native Australian foods,, particularly herbs and spices.  Things like lemon myrtle, Tasmanian pepper-berry can add a really interesting twist on the normal flavour profiles that we are used to.  Then there are things like quandongs, really delicious if made into a sauce or jam and bush tomatoes which are from the same family as normal tomatoes but are quite different in flavour and make fabulous pickles or relishes.  There are also things like nardoo, a well know (to aboriginal people) aquatic plant that has tasty bulbs to eat and the inner part of stems of cumbungi (a type of native reed) which can be used to make a kind of flour.  These and many more are slowly becoming known here.  Eventually I suspect that we may be able to develop thriving markets and a source of jobs for indigenous Australians.  Maybe it will eventually lead to an export market as well, but there's a long way to go over here first.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Food around the planet isn't really all that different when reduced to basics. Yes, one has escargot or balut as outliers. But before I retired, we had a grill that the cafeteria offered. One week it was Korean, the other weeks it was Italian. I joked with the guy running it that the only difference I saw was which kind of starch was offered with it (rice Vs pasta). He just laughed and agreed. Well, they did use sesame seed oil during the Korean weeks.  ;D

Dave

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 27, 2018, 04:03:01 AM
Food around the planet isn't really all that different when reduced to basics. Yes, one has escargot or balut as outliers. But before I retired, we had a grill that the cafeteria offered. One week it was Korean, the other weeks it was Italian. I joked with the guy running it that the only difference I saw was which kind of starch was offered with it (rice Vs pasta). He just laughed and agreed. Well, they did use sesame seed oil during the Korean weeks.  ;D

Tsk, that's like saying a curry is a curry is a curry - when there are so many subtle (and not so subtle) differences.

But what can one expect from a nation that pours ketchup over everything?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

No one

Tonight I plan on Shrimp Fra Diavlo, maybe Shrimp Scampi, that part is still up in the air. A fresh Mozzarella and tomato salad with a red pepper vinaigrette, with a balsamic reduction.