News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

lol

lola

along with steppenwulf's born to be wild, lola was about the first song i taught my kids to sing when they were little

you don't know hopw funny life can be until you're barreling across wyoming in a 1964 pontiac starchief at 100 mph with five little kids in car seats all hollering their personal version of the kinks as you go

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 08, 2020, 06:02:02 PM
I found it! Here is Scarbo from Gaspard de la Nuit, played by Alice Sara Ott. Her technique is impressive.

damn

i confess that that piece is pushing the envelope for me on being able to make sense of it musically

technically she's amazing

i only listened once. ill have to come back.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on July 09, 2020, 10:03:10 PM
lol

lola

along with steppenwulf's born to be wild, lola was about the first song i taught my kids to sing when they were little

you don't know hopw funny life can be until you're barreling across wyoming in a 1964 pontiac starchief at 100 mph with five little kids in car seats all hollering their personal version of the kinks as you go

:)
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on July 09, 2020, 10:14:09 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 08, 2020, 06:02:02 PM
I found it! Here is Scarbo from Gaspard de la Nuit, played by Alice Sara Ott. Her technique is impressive.

damn

i confess that that piece is pushing the envelope for me on being able to make sense of it musically

technically she's amazing

i only listened once. ill have to come back.

That is one of the things I love about classical music. It sounds hackneyed, but to me it's an exciting journey of discovery. It makes my day to come across a new composer or piece of music.

Scarbo is part 3 of Gaspard de la Nuit. Ravel and Debussy wrote some of the most exciting music for the piano.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

It's interesting to see the sheet music during a performance. Here Ivo Pogorelich plays the entire Gaspard de la Nuit by Ravel. Mortals can only dream of playing like him.

I like to listen to Ravel when I am painting.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I admire Ian Anderson, so the reaction of this classical flautist to his playing is interesting to me.

― Charles Eames

Icarus

^ Charming lady. Fifty years ago I would have tried to persuade her to go home with me.

Hermes, a redneck question: a person who plays the flute is a F-L-A-U-T-I-S -T.   The instrument that they command is a F-L-U-T-E.  Help me understand the spelling and perhaps pronunciation of the difference.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on July 13, 2020, 01:35:39 AM
^ Charming lady. Fifty years ago I would have tried to persuade her to go home with me.

Hermes, a redneck question: a person who plays the flute is a F-L-A-U-T-I-S -T.   The instrument that they command is a F-L-U-T-E.  Help me understand the spelling and perhaps pronunciation of the difference.

Flautist is probably difficult to pronounce properly in most American accents. I suspect most of you will say flahtist, instead of what I consider correct: flawtist, with the au sounded like the oo in floor. Tank, how about in your neck of the woods?

I think the term flutist is used commonly in the USA, while in British English flautist is more common.
― Charles Eames

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin