News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Hey Mags!!

Started by Biggus Dickus, June 27, 2017, 10:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on May 09, 2022, 02:14:26 PMHey Mags,

It's been some time, how is you?

So last week was Cinco de Mayo, and my wife (Socorro) as you know is from Honduras.

She works at a local specialized market, and deals directly with a lot of customers, many of whom she knows quite well.

Last week on 5/5 she was constantly getting told "Happy Cinco de Mayo" all day long by her customers. At first she tried to explain to them that she's not Mexican, and therefore doesn't celebrate this holiday, but after a while she just got tired of trying to explain everything, and so she just said, "Thanks", and moved on.

She said she got tired of explaining to them because even when she told people (By which I mean White People) that she was from Honduras, and that Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday which celebrates their victory over the French Army, and since she isn't from that country they couldn't grasp the meaning cuz aren't all Spanish speaking people Mexican?

She was quite annoyed, said it was a very long day, and next year she plans to take the day off so she doesn't have to deal with it.

Strangely enough on that same day as I was getting ready to leave the office someone here asked me if Socorro and I had big plans that evening.
I didn't understand what he meant, so I asked him, and he said, today is Cinco de Mayo, aren't you and her going to celebrate?
I explained to him why we don't celebrate a Mexican holiday since she is Honduran, and it went flying right over his head at high-speed!

He said, "yeah, but she speaks Spanish right"? Isn't it all the same"?

I replied, "you speak English, do you celebrate Canada Day"?

"No", he said, "but that's not the same thing".

I had to break this down in detail for him until he understood, well sort of understood (Honduran Independence is celebrated on September 15)

Any way Happy Las Piedras Day ((Paraguay). Anniversary of the end of the conflict between Uruguay and Brazil in 1828.

Hi, BP,
I mean, PB.

It has been a long time. How is I? --Good.
How is you? Good, I hope. :)

"Happy Cinco to Drinko," to you too. ::)

I think I explained before why these things happen:

"Three Mexican Countries: El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala."
 :o

--The blind guiding the blind. :-\

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

I didn't know Mexico had itself a nice empire like that!  :lol:

...But then, the local stereotype is that Americans think Norway is a province in Sweden, yet while not being completely geographically bankrupt, I would personally struggle to point out El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala on an map. A broadcaster should certainly be able to do better than some random Asmo on the Interwebs, I'm just saying that such stereotypes are not entirely without foundation and apply to more than US residents.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on May 10, 2022, 09:09:14 AMI didn't know Mexico had itself a nice empire like that!  :lol:

Well...The Mayan Empire, not the Mexican Empire, included parts of Mexico, before the Spanish conquest, modern-day Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, and El Salvador. However, I highly doubt Fox & Friends and its audience knew this. ::)

QuoteThe Maya civilization was one of the most dominant Indigenous societies of Mesoamerica (a term used to describe Mexico and Central America before the 16th century Spanish conquest). Unlike other scattered Indigenous populations of Mesoamerica, the Maya were centered in one geographical block covering all of the Yucatan Peninsula and modern-day Guatemala; Belize and parts of the Mexican states of Tabasco and Chiapas and the western part of Honduras and El Salvador.

Another reason, I think, people call every Latino, a Mexican, is because 35.8% of Los Angeles County's population (2018) was reported of being of Mexican ancestry. 3.7% Salvadoran, and 2.2% Guatemalan heritage,.

Like PB's friend said,
QuoteHe said, "yeah, but she speaks Spanish right"? Isn't it all the same"?
Um....No. ::) That's what the census does, it calls every Spanish-speaking person, a Hispanic, regardless of where they come from. But ignorant people call every Spanish-speaking person, a Mexican, regardless of where they come from.
--It sucks.

By the way, it's good to see you here, again. And thanks for fixing the forum. ;)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

i always ask where people are from, because then i can ask more questions about whats its like there.

doesnt always work. when i ask sikhs and pakistanis where theyre from , sometimes all theyre willing to say is canada. same as iranians who tell me they come from persia.

cant be too careful these days, really

talked to some kurds the other day who started out telling me they wrre from central asia. so we narrowed it down and i got to learn about the steppes

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on May 11, 2022, 01:24:58 AMi always ask where people are from, because then i can ask more questions about whats its like there.

doesnt always work. when i ask sikhs and pakistanis where theyre from , sometimes all theyre willing to say is canada. same as iranians who tell me they come from persia.

cant be too careful these days, really

talked to some kurds the other day who started out telling me they wrre from central asia. so we narrowed it down and i got to learn about the steppes

I had a co-worker who would say he was Persian first and then he would specify he is from Iran. I know what you mean by narrowing it down.  ;D

I am a:
Latina.
Central American.
Salvadoran.
Hispanic.

My kids are Estadounidense-Mexicano-Salvadoreño--Español/Azteca...if we add grandparents.  :o

Biggus Dickus

Every Latino being referred to as a Mexican is like every Asian being called Chinese.
I work for a Korean company, and we have resident engineers and other staff working in our office from Korea...they and their families get this constantly.

If they correct the person who is referring to them as Chinese, and tell them they are Korean the next question is always,...North or South Korea? One of the guys told me when he told someone he was Korean they responded with so you're a communist?

:wtf:

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on May 11, 2022, 05:25:30 PMEvery Latino being referred to as a Mexican is like every Asian being called Chinese.
I work for a Korean company, and we have resident engineers and other staff working in our office from Korea...they and their families get this constantly.

If they correct the person who is referring to them as Chinese, and tell them they are Korean the next question is always,...North or South Korea? One of the guys told me when he told someone he was Korean they responded with so you're a communist?

:wtf:

DIOS MIO!

Assuming every Latino is Mexican and every Asian is Chinese is a generalization based on appearance and it could offend someone.

I don't feel offended when people assume I'm Mexican because my man is Mexican and my kids are 1/2 Mexican, it just makes me think the person saying it is not very...informed. Or maybe they watch Fox news and learned it from them...you know, that EL Salvador is a Mexican country. ::)

Words can be misinterpreted. For example, "Chinito," "negrito", "Mexicanito," it's not meant to be mean, but cute, it's a diminutive, but it doesn't grant respect.

In prison, it's a lot worse. You are associated with the, white, black, or Mexican gangs. Everyone else who is none of the above, (Philipino, Salvadoreño, Colombiano, etc.), is called, "other."
My man makes fun of me, he says, "Orale, if I go to jail, I can hang out with the Mexicans, you can only hang out with the "others."
;D

>:(

Icarus

There is a certain person who is an "other", for whom I have considerable respect. She is clever, articulate, and has a keen sense of humor. Salud!

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on May 12, 2022, 07:09:36 AMThere is a certain person who is an "other", for whom I have considerable respect. She is clever, articulate, and has a keen sense of humor. Salud!
Yes, but does that mean she's in a Other gang?

Actually, a legitimate question;
Quote from: Magdalena on May 11, 2022, 08:43:34 PMIn prison, it's a lot worse. You are associated with the, white, black, or Mexican gangs. Everyone else who is none of the above, (Philipino, Salvadoreño, Colombiano, etc.), is called, "other."
Wouldn't that also apply to any-one not affiliated with the aforementioned gangs? Or do you sort of "join" a gang automatically by virtue of your relative ethnicity, except if it's south of Mexico?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on May 12, 2022, 08:39:33 AM
Quote from: Icarus on May 12, 2022, 07:09:36 AMThere is a certain person who is an "other", for whom I have considerable respect. She is clever, articulate, and has a keen sense of humor. Salud!
Yes, but does that mean she's in an Other gang?

Actually, a legitimate question;
Quote from: Magdalena on May 11, 2022, 08:43:34 PMIn prison, it's a lot worse. You are associated with the white, black, or Mexican gangs. Everyone else who is none of the above, (Philipino, Salvadoreño, Colombiano, etc.), is called, "other."
Wouldn't that also apply to anyone not affiliated with the aforementioned gangs? Or do you sort of "join" a gang automatically by your relative ethnicity, except if it's south of Mexico?

I don't think you have to join a gang in prison.

You can say, "Im a freelance delinquent committing crimes in different towns at different times by myself rather than committing crimes permanently with a gang."
;D

Maybe they'll ask you what hood you claim if you have no tattoos because a lot of the inmates have their gang names tattooed everywhere. They can't run or hide from their own gang even if they wanted to, inside or outside. This goes for all gangs. It's like one of those stickers, "hello, my name is" that you get at meetings. They walk in there proudly showing their gang signs on their chest, --"hello, my name is --vato loco from la 18."

Colors.
White, Black,
Mexican, other.
The "others" have gangs as well, but they are small compared to the other three, so I guess calling them "others" means, insignificant.

They say "white power", "black power", and "brown and proud", but Mexican is a Nationality, and brown is a skin color, not an ethnicity or a race-- in the same way black and white are. ...Well, here in the USA, in some circles.

It's basically about being proud, in every gang, I think.

I'm not a gang member, but in LA, these are the people we live with.  ;)

Asmodean

Quote from: Magdalena on May 13, 2022, 05:00:02 PMI don't think you have to join a gang in prison.

You can say, "Im a freelance delinquent committing crimes in different towns at different times by myself rather than committing crimes permanently with a gang."
;D
A freelance delinquent. I'm totally using it if like... The government comes across that doomsday device.  8)

Quote...Mexican is a Nationality, and brown is a skin color, not an ethnicity or a race-- in the same way black and white are. ...Well, here in the USA, in some circles.
Not to mention that the few Mexican people I know in person are like... White, if anything. I must admit, I have no idea how that colour system works. Ought to have me one of them intersectional colour charts for reference, probably. Like, I'd say you'd have to go to places like parts of Africa, Pakistan or India for "Brown." I suppose the sole Bolivian I know is sort-of... Brown-ish?

I mean, if a tanned look makes you capital B Brown, are them orange "influencers" of very European descent actually of a different ethnicity by virtue of indoor tanning abuse? Actually, never mind. They totally are.

QuoteIt's basically about being proud, in every gang, I think.

I'm not a gang member, but in LA, these are the people we live with.  ;)
I can see that, though. I'm not advocating for gang membership, but it can give you a purpose and a sense of belonging/community and... People want that, and are proud of being a part of that - regardless of its income venues.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

We are, for sure, social animals. We join clans, gangs, barbershop quartets, religions, trade unions, Parent teacher associations, political parties and all that sort of thing. Then there are hate groups.

Today, (May 14) in Buffalo New York, an 18 year old white supremacist thought it his obligation to go to a supermarket and kill as many black people as he could. Ten Dead. Too soon to know of his background or associations.  Someone, or a group of someones, influenced him to believe that he needed to kill.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on May 14, 2022, 09:07:34 AM...
I can see that, though. I'm not advocating for gang membership, but it can give you a purpose and a sense of belonging/community and... People want that, and are proud of being a part of that - regardless of its income venues.
Quote from: Icarus on May 15, 2022, 01:23:28 AMWe are, for sure, social animals. We join clans, gangs, barbershop quartets, religions, trade unions, Parent teacher associations, political parties and all that sort of thing. Then there are hate groups.

Today, (May 14) in Buffalo New York, an 18 year old white supremacist thought it his obligation to go to a supermarket and kill as many black people as he could. Ten Dead. Too soon to know of his background or associations.  Someone, or a group of someones, influenced him to believe that he needed to kill.

Gangs start with "pride", proud to be...(color).
Then, it turns to supremacy or superiority and entitlement, then to hate, anger, violence, crime, and unfortunately, murder.
--Very sad.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on May 14, 2022, 09:07:34 AM...
Not to mention that the few Mexican people I know in person are like... White, if anything. I must admit, I have no idea how that colour system works. Ought to have me one of them intersectional colour charts for reference, probably. Like, I'd say you'd have to go to places like parts of Africa, Pakistan or India for "Brown." I suppose the sole Bolivian I know is sort-of... Brown-ish?

I know what you mean. I am Central American, people assume I'm brown-skinned and brown-eyed, but I'm not, I'm, like you said, "...like... White, with hazel eyes." :-\

I know what "Brown and Proud" means and what it stands for, but I can't say it. People would laugh at me. Can't say, proud to be white either. My people would think I'm acting, "superior."
--As if being a white Latina is something I asked for.  ::)
My man also gets made fun of, he is a beautiful proud Aztec-looking brown man, and he defends his heritage everywhere he goes, but when people see me, they ask, "So, why are you with her?"
--Moth*r F*ckers, I'm sure I'm browner and prouder to be a Latina than they are, but again, if I say it, they would laugh at me.
>:(

I think it has to do with associating brown skin with being 80% to 100% Latino, meaning there is no white or Spaniard in your blood. Being proud of rejecting the conquistador's blood means a lot to some, but maybe it's just as bad as a white supremacist not wanting an African American in their bloodline either.

Sorry about ranting about this stuff.

Icarus

I believe that you are entitled to rant Mags. Maybe best advised not to do it in the presence of the hard-core republican crowd.  But then they tend to be, in varying degrees,isolated from the real world.