News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

Quote from: jumbojak on September 14, 2022, 02:31:36 AMIt bothers me that there's only a working brake on one wheel. Don't know who is going to crash it through the gate when the last brake fails but I hope it isn't me.

the brake stuff is kind of, important.

is it a fix they wiuld let you do?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on September 14, 2022, 02:31:36 AMAs someone who occasionally drives a dump truck with an axle so bent you don't have both dual wheels on either side touching pavement without a substantial load... That missing wheel is important. The bigger the truck the more it counts on points of contact.

I can live with ours not having a straight axle. It bothers me that there's only a working brake on one wheel. Don't know who is going to crash it through the gate when the last brake fails but I hope it isn't me.
I can see that, but this was one of them... Them-looking things, only with bigger huwheels (Or maybe same wheel size, though in a smaller vehicle)

A crane or a bridge or some combination thereof, methinks. Its load under transport is basically whatever is always on its back.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

Quote from: billy rubin on September 14, 2022, 05:55:24 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on September 14, 2022, 02:31:36 AMIt bothers me that there's only a working brake on one wheel. Don't know who is going to crash it through the gate when the last brake fails but I hope it isn't me.

the brake stuff is kind of, important.

is it a fix they wiuld let you do?

They keep talking about fixing it. Honestly, if it worked properly another department would say they needed the truck and get it, which would put us in a terrible bind. That's probably part of the reason for putting it off.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

well keep the door unlocked so you can jump

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

jumbojak

Quote from: billy rubin on September 14, 2022, 05:23:16 PMwell keep the door unlocked so you can jump

The doors don't lock. Some days the windows don't even go up and down. Today I got a photo of the truck going down the road. Two out of four wheels touching pavement. Too bad I can't post it here.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

*cough* anonymous call to OSHA *cough*

billy rubin

equinox!

tonight at 2103 EST

that would be GMT plus five.

this evening i can stand on my front porch and watch the sun set behind my neighbors barn on the ridgetop two miles to the west. it only does that twice per year.

tomorrow it will set one diameter north of the barn.

the big cosmic clock ticks twice per year, and i wont get another tick for six months.

billy rubin

new job!

now i drive a garbage truck.

a rolloff, actually. construction debris, retail, residential. i just load the boxes and dump them- 20, 30, and 40-cubic yards.

and garbage compacters, which are not so pleasant.

but i only work ten hours or so per day and am home every night.

win!

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Garbage trucks and the people who work on them are unsung heroes. Nasty job that deserves  more appreciation than it gets.

If not for the timely collection of refuse, we could come down with cholera or some other kind of malady.

My city uses trucks with hydraulic grabber arms. Residential customers have large plastic containers in which to deposit their trash.  The container has a lid and wheels on the bottom.  The truck with its magical grabber arm, snatches up the container and empties into the truck's receptacle. It then replaces the container in the exact spot where it was originally placed.  No longer a nasty job for the driver.  He/she sits in an air conditioned cab and never has to touch any of the trash. The grabber arms must have magic eyes or something.  They never miss the exact location of the cans or cause them to become displaced.

billy rubin

i dont have to do those residential routes. those are very dangerous.

i pick up and deliver maybe four giant boxes a day. the residential people have to go down narrow streest and handle i kid yu not, 600 addresses per day. i would not do that.

my stuff is easy by comparison. but im out in the weather hooking and re-positioning. still not as hard as the trash can guys.

i havent seen so many rats in one place incewhen i was a kid in singapore though

Icarus

I think that you are right Billy.

A residential refuse collector has to make a lot of stops in an ordinary work day.  I feel some sympathy for the poor trucks too.  They have to start and stop 15,000 times per month.

Dark Lightning

I'm willing to bet that the 15k stops would be per day, or at least per week. There are 60 houses just on my street, and it takes them maybe 10 minutes to serve the whole block. Of course, driving to the landfill is about an hour, round trip, from my house. Next time I'm taking some electronic recycling by their office, (seldom, and if I remember) I'll ask. It's an interesting statistic!

Billy should be really cheerful that he isn't hauling the trash like when I was a kid. It was truly a garbage man, as we lived in a rural area, and believe it or not, we incinerated our burnable trash. The garbage went into a 5 gallon galvanized bucket, which the garbagemen emptied. You want to talk about maggots, and STINK!?  :o

billy rubin

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on October 18, 2022, 02:31:56 AMi can do without that

:lol: We all can! Just recently, California started asking people to throw their kitchen (vegetable) waste into the recycling bins used for yard waste, like grass, and such. Well, OK, but we freeze that, because that bin is going to reek like garbage by the time it gets picked up. It'll be thawed by the time it gets to whatever yard it is destined for. On that note, the yard trimmings are processed along with shredded trees and such, and the resulting detritus is available for use where people are working to create drought-tolerant yards, as a way to keep in the water. In LA, (don't live in even that county), my wife has friends who have availed themselves of that free service. They find toothbrushes and that sort of thing in the chips. LA is a shithole, end of story. I'd lay nickels to doughnut hole odds that people will be throwing animal waste into the green recycling. Planet's going to shit? So what, seems to be many people's attitude. I don't like even when we have to call the plumber out to clean a drain and they leave the water running while the rooter is reaming the pipes. Yes, I know it has to be running, but it's a real waste of a resource. Don't know what else we would do, though. Most of it is growing up poor. Even though we now have more than two nickels to rub together, I don't like wasting resources.