News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Is Trump the END of Politics?
https://youtu.be/YlptgqP_PEA?list=WL

Video that might explain to how we got to now.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

^ that is a six minute five second explanation of how and why we have our collective heads up our asses.  Not HAFers of course, but all those other knot heads who are blinded by the shit that is obscuring their vision.

Recusant

Not buying it. Political competition has been a form of spectacle for a very long time. In early 19th century United States, political parties owned newspapers that put out all sorts of lurid stories about opposing politicians. One of the most famous examples of this is the story of Sally Hemmings, but such tactics were the norm during that era. Editors of these political newspapers even fought duels when the mudslinging got really hot.

Modern forms of communication have allowed this aspect of politics to be more immediate and perhaps more prevalent, but the video tries to make it seem like something fundamental has changed with the advent of modern media. To do this, it contrasts modern politics with ideals from ancient Greece. That's skipping a lot of the development of how politics operate.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

That's superb! Thank you for posting it, xSilverPhinx. I especially like the avatar.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Pasta Chick

I've been thinking about his Twitter account a lot lately. It's often cited as a ploy to draw attention from other issues, but I'm not throughly convinced this is the case - I do not believe Trump is as smart as many give him credit for. i don't think he uses it as a distraction as much as for gaslighting.

The case is often made that we should ignore his social media accounts entirely but I don't think that's the solution either way. Regardless of his intent in using them, the things he says as grossly inappropriate and should not be normalized by ignoring them. "Oh yeah, he just does that and we don't bother with it" is not a step toward anything good.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on January 10, 2017, 05:25:04 PM
That's superb! Thank you for posting it, xSilverPhinx. I especially like the avatar.

:grin: Yes, the mature Trump's avatar looks more real than the real one's!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Trump has been courting the anti-vaccine crowd for a while now.

Just to be clear: the claim of a link between vaccination and autism has been completely debunked, and was debunked long before Trump tweeted the drivel above.

Today, Trump met with the vaccine conspiracy promoter Robert Kennedy Jr., and it appears he's going to appoint Kennedy to head a new "commission on vaccine safety."  :puke:

"The truth about vaccines, autism and Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s conspiracy theory" | The Washington Post

QuoteSoon after news of Kennedy's appointment broke, the AAP issued a statement from its president, Fernando Stein, and vice president, Karen Remley, affirming the "safety and importance of vaccines." They emphasized the risks of delaying vaccinations, something that Trump said he was in favor of during a 2015 Republican primary debate. "I want smaller doses over a longer period of time," Trump said.

The AAP's response was blunt: "Vaccines are safe. Vaccines are effective. Vaccines save lives," Stein and Remley wrote. "We stand ready to work with the White House and the federal government to share the extensive scientific evidence demonstrating the safety of vaccines, including the recommended schedule." The real danger, they point out, lies in refusing or delaying vaccines.
— H. L. Mencken

Pasta Chick

OMFG, these fucking people...

"VACCINES ARE TOO BIG, NOT SO MUCH AT ONCE!"

*Doctors spread out vaccine scheudle*

"MY CHILD SHOULDNT NEED VACCINES EVERY 2 WEEKS THIS IS TOO FREQUENT!"

Firebird

I was so fucking pissed about this. Great, put my kid at risk before she's fully inoculated because you want to validate these idiots. We must look so stupid to the rest of the world.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Recusant

It will come as no surprise (given the constant stream of double-talk/contradictory statements that has characterized Trump and his top aides since long before he was elected) that one of his mouthpieces has said "no decisions have been made."

"Trump team denies new vaccination commission after Kennedy claims post" | The Guardian

I really don't think there will ever come a time in the Trump presidency when it will be possible to trust things coming out of the White House. It seems likely to me that Trump told Kennedy one thing, then his crew of "the best people" decided to put an alternate spin on it, and talked him into agreeing with that. It's going to be years of variation on the theme of "What the Everloving Fuck?!?"
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Trump has been lying for decades, he lied his ass off through out his campaign and was successful, so I highly doubt that he'll stop lying after he's sworn in. I mean, you don't stop a child from kicking people in the shins by giving them cookies after they do it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on January 11, 2017, 01:48:08 PM
Trump has been lying for decades, he lied his ass off through out his campaign and was successful, so I highly doubt that he'll stop lying after he's sworn in. I mean, you don't stop a child from kicking people in the shins by giving them cookies after they do it.
You do if the cookies have cyanide in them . . .

:devil:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Firebird

Things just got way more interesting. Buzzfeed released some secret intelligence memos containing uncorroborated evidence of pretty serious shit that Trump is alleged to have done:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/us/politics/donald-trump-russia-intelligence.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

QuoteThe memos describe sex videos involving prostitutes with Mr. Trump in a 2013 visit to a Moscow hotel. The videos were supposedly prepared as "kompromat," or compromising material, with the possible goal of blackmailing Mr. Trump in the future.

The memos also suggest that Russian officials proposed various lucrative deals, essentially as disguised bribes in order to win influence over Mr. Trump.

The memos describe several purported meetings during the 2016 presidential campaign between Trump representatives and Russian officials to discuss matters of mutual interest, including the Russian hacking of the Democratic National Committee and Mrs. Clinton's campaign chairman, John D. Podesta.

If some of the unproven claims in the memos are merely titillating, others would amount to extremely serious, potentially treasonous acts.

One of the opposition research memos quotes an unidentified Russian source as claiming that the hacking and leaking of Democratic emails was carried out "with the full knowledge and support of TRUMP and senior members of his campaign team." In return, the memo said, "the TRUMP team had agreed to sideline Russian intervention in Ukraine as a campaign issue" because Mr. Putin "needed to cauterize the subject."

Again, all unverified and uncorroborated, so as far as journalistic standards go, releasing this was pretty unethical. But considering all the unethical stuff already committed against Clinton, like the Comey letter and the hacking by the Russians and other fake news that Trump spread, can't help feeling some  schadenfreude. Also, if any of this is true, it's really, really bad.

Anyone still gonna bitch about Clinton's emails now?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Recusant

You know they are.

Anyway, while this is entertaining, after reading through some of the document (it's highlighted in yellow, which ties right in with the "golden showers" angle) I have doubts that it's presenting genuine information.
— H. L. Mencken