News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

QuoteDozens of the nation's most senior Republican national security officials, many of them former top aides or cabinet members for President George W. Bush, have signed a letter saying they will not vote for Mr. Trump, the Republican nominee.

Full letter below:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/08/us/politics/national-security-letter-trump.html

Essie Mae

Quote from: joeactor on August 08, 2016, 09:17:11 PM
QuoteDozens of the nation's most senior Republican national security officials, many of them former top aides or cabinet members for President George W. Bush, have signed a letter saying they will not vote for Mr. Trump, the Republican nominee.

Full letter below:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/08/us/politics/national-security-letter-trump.html

Sobering. Gotta feel sorry for Murrikins; voters have been pushed out of the election process; nowhere to go.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Just reading a sci-fi story set in the, sort of, present day where the American security services do not trust the president.

Wonder where the author got that idea?

Icarus

The latest is that the Donald claims that ISIS was created by Obama.  More of the latest is that some of his followers actually believe that he has revealed a deep dark secret conspiracy that would  install Sharia law in America. 

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on August 13, 2016, 05:26:10 AM
The latest is that the Donald claims that ISIS was created by Obama.  More of the latest is that some of his followers actually believe that he has revealed a deep dark secret conspiracy that would  install Sharia law in America.
Well, he's got an Arabic name so he must be a sympathiser, even if he is a dedicated christian. If he had a good American name like Eisehower, Roosevelt, van Buren or something . . .

Firebird

Quote from: Gloucester on August 13, 2016, 08:08:33 AM
Well, he's got an Arabic name so he must be a sympathiser, even if he is a dedicated christian. If he had a good American name like Eisehower, Roosevelt, van Buren or something . . .

...or if he was white
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tom62

ISIS managed to grow, because the USA left a power vacuum behind after Bush II escapades ("crusade") in the Middle East. Obama didn't want to get much involved in this and, instead of sending more troops to eliminate Islamic threads, he started to bring in weapons and sponsor local rebels (like in Libya and Syria). The rebel troops contained mostly mercenaries, who would fight for anyone who pays better. ISIS offered the Syrian troops more money, so they joined ISIS (with their American weapons) in mass. So, in sense, Trump is right by blaming Obama. But he should blame the war criminals GW Bush, Dick Chaney and Tony Blair.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Last night I Googled, Sharia law Images, and I'm very sorry I did.  :(
I have one question, why?  :headshake:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on August 14, 2016, 02:08:04 AM

I honestly don't understand the concern about Sharia law replacing secular law in America.  As long as we have separation of church and state, how would that even be possible?  We'd not only have to become a theocracy first, but an Islamic theocracy and I certainly don't see that happening, least of all any time soon.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 14, 2016, 02:22:15 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on August 14, 2016, 02:08:04 AM

I honestly don't understand the concern about Sharia law replacing secular law in America.  As long as we have separation of church and state, how would that even be possible?  We'd not only have to become a theocracy first, but an Islamic theocracy and I certainly don't see that happening, least of all any time soon.
:secrets1: My, "why?" question was more about..."Why are they OK with chopping off people's body parts?"  :shifty:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Essie Mae

It's a bloody (pun entirely intended) good way of controlling those uppity people who want to do their own thing.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on August 14, 2016, 07:53:58 AM

It's a bloody (pun entirely intended) good way of controlling those uppity people who want to do their own thing.
It also reduces theft if it means losing a hand for the first offence. But it is a bloody barbaric way of punishing even minor crime.

It can also means that the victim of an accident or disease suffers from the automatic assumption thst they were found guilty of theft to strangers.

Like the origin of the religion it supports it is the product of an age whose values and ignorance should be in the rubbish bin of history.

Guardian85

Quote from: Gloucester on August 14, 2016, 08:09:50 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on August 14, 2016, 07:53:58 AM

It also reduces theft if it means losing a hand for the first offence. But it is a bloody barbaric way of punishing even minor crime.

It can also means that the victim of an accident or disease suffers from the automatic assumption thst they were found guilty of theft to strangers.

Like the origin of the religion it supports it is the product of an age whose values and ignorance should be in the rubbish bin of history.
I can imagine it being a very effective deterrence to recidivism among convicted pick-pockets, though.

Still.... no. Just no.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Firebird

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 14, 2016, 02:22:15 AM

Most of it's just your usual hysteria. There were some fears that Canada was going to allow certain family disputes to be arbitrated via Sharia a few years back,  so that might have fed the hysteria too. See this article for example. There is also an Islamic Sharia Council Court in the UK, though it appears it doesn't have actual jurisdiction. Not clear on that from the article though. Have to admit I'd be concerned if anything like that ever did come to the US, as I would with any other type of religious court.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"