News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: chimp3 on March 02, 2016, 11:02:00 AM
If the KKK endorsed me as a candidate I would drop out of the race , find a quiet mountaintop hideaway , and stay there a few years. Take some time to do a serious inner survey and find out where I went wrong.
Which just goes to show you're not Donald Trump!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny

He has such lovely hand though.
Much nicer than Hillary's hands.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny on March 02, 2016, 01:14:53 PM

I never did notice his hands, I was always mesmerized by his tuff of hair.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny on March 02, 2016, 01:14:53 PM

Such tiny, tiny fingers.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

chimp3

Best description of Trump I have seen yet : Gold-plated Dumpster Fire.
I doubt it!

Nam

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 12, 2015, 01:45:07 AM
What astonishes me is his ability to continue blathering even after being called out on it (like this fondness for the bible, despite knowing little to nothing about it).  It's so massive and impervious I almost have to admire it.  Almost.

He's becoming a true politician, he flip-flopped recently. Two weeks ago he said he was for the individual mandate and now he says he's not.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Nam

Quote from: Icarus on November 16, 2015, 10:31:08 PM
To his credit, the Duke of Bullshit has the capacity for taking pretty wives. I envy him because the bullshit line never worked for me when it came to women.

Plus, you're probably not a billionaire.

;)

-Nam

Nam

Quote from: Icarus on January 05, 2016, 03:00:38 AM
Lunatics will seize on any opportunity or notion to promote their own agenda. It is not inconceivable that Hillary's suggestion gave them the idea.  That is not to indict Hillary for mentioning a possibility. In fact anything that we might say may be used as a reason for crazies to react.  As much as I dislike the Donald, I defend his right to say whatever he damned well pleases even if it is stupid.

It's funny how we'll defend him/them but they'd never defend us. Freedom of Speech in their minds only applies to them.

-Nam

Nam

Quote from: Crow on February 04, 2016, 09:42:45 AM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on February 04, 2016, 03:10:24 AM
However, Mr Trump is definatley an embarrassment, who I quite despise...

Lets just hope it isn't a watershed moment for your politics. I can't imagine how much worse the Republican party can get.

Think: The South Will Rise Again!

-Nam

Recusant

Harking back to the OP of this thread, and pointing to a possible way that the Republican party could get worse: "The rise of American authoritarianism" | Vox

QuoteFor years now, before anyone thought a person like Donald Trump could possibly lead a presidential primary, a small but respected niche of academic research has been laboring over a question, part political science and part psychology, that had captivated political scientists since the rise of the Nazis.

How do people come to adopt, in such large numbers and so rapidly, extreme political views that seem to coincide with fear of minorities and with the desire for a strongman leader?

To answer that question, these theorists study what they call authoritarianism: not the dictators themselves, but rather the psychological profile of people who, under the right conditions, will desire certain kinds of extreme policies and will seek strongman leaders to implement them.

(The political phenomenon we identify as right-wing populism seems to line up, with almost astonishing precision, with the research on how authoritarianism is both caused and expressed)

After an early period of junk science in the mid-20th century, a more serious group of scholars has addressed this question, specifically studying how it plays out in American politics: researchers like Hetherington and Weiler, Stanley Feldman, Karen Stenner, and Elizabeth Suhay, to name just a few.

The field, after a breakthrough in the early 1990s, has come to develop the contours of a grand theory of authoritarianism, culminating quite recently, in 2005, with Stenner's seminal The Authoritarian Dynamic — just in time for that theory to seemingly come true, more rapidly and in greater force than any of them had imagined, in the personage of one Donald Trump and his norm-shattering rise.

According to Stenner's theory, there is a certain subset of people who hold latent authoritarian tendencies. These tendencies can be triggered or "activated" by the perception of physical threats or by destabilizing social change, leading those individuals to desire policies and leaders that we might more colloquially call authoritarian.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Bad Penny

Why doesn't Ronald McDonald run for president?
He has much better hair.
He must be much richer.
He finishes his sentences.
He has a bunch of friends.
He's a much better Donald.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Bad Penny on March 05, 2016, 01:39:23 PM
Why doesn't Ronald McDonald run for president?
He has much better hair.
He must be much richer.
He finishes his sentences.
He has a bunch of friends.
He's a much better Donald.

The Donald thought you might say something like that, and has flip-flopped accordingly to increase his appeal