News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What would the apocalypse look like?

Started by Asmodean, September 26, 2022, 10:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

So I kinda' got inspired by that other apocalypse thread. There is more to talk about here, and I think this deserves a separate discussion;

From the point of view of a "survivor," what would the apocalypse look like, after the dust has settled and the raging zombie hordes have passed? For the sake of this thought experiment, let us assume a global collapse of civilization.

I think the potentially-nuclear dust would settle on people surviving any way they can - some in small groups bound by loyalty (Such as families, friends or other such units) others on their own, third still in groups bound by access to certain resources and the defence thereof. The stronger would take from the weaker, potentially growing in numbers and strength and before long, I expect pseudo-feudal, pseudo-despotic sort of systems to emerge, with "strongmen" ruling their "kingdoms," feuding, getting swallowed up, splitting apart and so forth.

I suspect for a survivor, or someone born into that world, life would likely be a short, yet brutal affair - even past the point where the access to resources such as electricity, fuel and food stabilises through production and its trade or conquest.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Old Seer

Putin is interested more-so in tactical (battlefield)nuclear devises rather then an international war such as the US Davey Crockett system. The object is to clear a battlefield with one swat rather then bombardments with conventional artillery. I,m thinking NATO will have to blink on this one.

https://youtu.be/eiM-RzPHyGs
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Asmodean

Yeah, but that's Russia. As I said in that other thread, I don't think that the current situation is even the beginning of The End.

I'm trying for a broader perspective here. The world has to end somehow, does it not?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Ecurb Noselrub

I will kill everyone and take their stuff.

Not really. At 70, I've lived a pretty dang good life. If I survive the first wave of nuclear strikes I'll probably finish off my liquor cabinet and then let the worms have me.

billy rubin

my liquor cabinet consits of one half bottle of johnny walker red.

i have higher hopes

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Anne D.

Quote from: billy rubin on September 27, 2022, 12:57:02 AMmy liquor cabinet consits of one half bottle of johnny walker red.

i have higher hopes

LOL!

Magdalena

Quote from: Anne D. on September 27, 2022, 02:07:36 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on September 27, 2022, 12:57:02 AMmy liquor cabinet consits of one half bottle of johnny walker red.

i have higher hopes

LOL!

You guys are funny.
;D

I would like to say a prayer to the dark side...let's see if it works.
:notsure:

QuoteQuote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

~And the world will end.
We will drink, and smoke. Again.
Dark clouds go away.

Amen.

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Iam all in with Ecurb. My liquor cabinets demise I mean.  And let the worms have me too. ,

You guys know that there are elements of society who are anxious to have the world come to an end.  They call it "The Rapture".  Pentecostals have this deal well planned, so heathens beware of the coming of judgement day

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on September 28, 2022, 02:55:46 AMYou guys know that there are elements of society who are anxious to have the world come to an end.  They call it "The Rapture".  Pentecostals have this deal well planned, so heathens beware of the coming of judgement day
It's not just them. There are more secular elements of society who wouldn't mind seeing the world burn, too.

Still, 70% of it is covered by water, so for now, I give the world a good chance of being just fine - even if Europe burns (again) and/or the US descends into a civil war (again) - been there, done that. Rebuilt, and even made it look nice.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on September 28, 2022, 02:55:46 AMIam all in with Ecurb. My liquor cabinets demise I mean.  And let the worms have me too. ,

You guys know that there are elements of society who are anxious to have the world come to an end.  They call it "The Rapture".  Pentecostals have this deal well planned, so heathens beware of the coming of judgement day

:secrets: Speaking of disasters, please stay safe during the hurricane, Icarus.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

I was thinking about this today. Imagine not being able to predict the weather. A little sprinkle isn't much of a concern but the real money is in hurricanes and blizzards and ice storms. No warning and boom, hundred mile an hour winds tear your community to pieces.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

journalist hemingway wrote of a hurricane in tbe keys back in the 1920s before anything at all could be predicted

bodies hanging in the mangroves

lines of men drowned clutching the railroad tracks where the water submerged them

all found days later when people were able to get about by boat to check on the islands

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on September 28, 2022, 09:22:35 PMI was thinking about this today. Imagine not being able to predict the weather. A little sprinkle isn't much of a concern but the real money is in hurricanes and blizzards and ice storms. No warning and boom, hundred mile an hour winds tear your community to pieces.
Imagine not being able to predict the weather very well and not having discovered sufficient structural reinforcement tech to cope. That's... Most of human history. We [humans] still get thoroughly wiped out by fires, earthquakes, hurricanes and tsunamis - and then some say that the Earth was "designed" with Human life in mind... Right. Human death, I can get. Life..? Not so much.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.